MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0330 Saint Oyland- On the Plane at Saint Oyland

#61 Post by atpollard »

Mick: “Olivia, can you wake me at 6am? You and I will suit up and push out then regardless of the conditions. Why else did we buy the BPSs if not to operate in rough conditions? If weather conditions improve earlier, wake me please.”

[ Olivia stands watch as everyone sleeps.]

2156.11.7.0330 Saint Oyland- On the Plane at Saint Oyland

Olivia gently woke Mick to minimize disturbing the others still sleeping.

Olivia: “You said to wake you if the weather changed. Snow let up ‘bout half an hour ago. You probably want to see this. I don’t think falling in the crater will be an issue … it has a forcefield.”

Mick looked out the window and saw the heavy snow had become a few light flurries - still whipped around furiously by that deadly arctic breeze. Dressing and exiting the craft with Olivia and night vision equipment, Olivia pointed and Mick observed.

Half a click away lay the snow-covered rim of a small crater - only a couple hundred meters across - topped with a giant translucent bubble. Mick increased magnification, which made the image grainy from interference from the wind-blown snow, but he was able to detect that the dome was faceted rather than smooth. Shifting to IR revealed the dome glowing brightly against the sub-zero background. It also revealed an IR dot against the hillside … a warm hole through the raised rim that was both square and vehicle sized. Mick had a good idea where the road and the front door was.

Mick’s flesh began to burn after only a few minutes exposure, so he bundled up and checked the temp … -45C … that was life-threatening cold. [People in Cold Weather Clothing should limit exposure to (3 to 4.5) hours rather than the typical (6 to 9) hours to avoid damage. People in Vacc Suits can ignore the cold - space is colder.] It was about a 15 to 20 minute walk in snowshoes [1.5 to 2 kph] to that rectangular entrance.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

#62 Post by Thumper »

shaidar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am DJ

"So we've been up 12 or more hours, you want us to get maybe 6 hours sleep, drive in difficult conditions and then perform delicate repair work with potentially hostile creatures or people around. When we're you voted slave master Mick?" he sighs and runs his hands through his hair "I'm just saying that if we push too hard we can't spend the money if we are dead, or can't fix the relay."
Slave Master Mick? I kind of like that title...Not really. I only asked Olivia to wake ME at 6 and the two of us set out. I never stated when or where or how long any of the rest of you slept other than an 8am-ish push…weather permitting.I'll be good with a 5 hr nap. May need a nap in the back of one of the ATVs later...maybe. I'm only asking for whoever is on watch, and up anyway, to make a call on one of the two global comms we brought with us to the one global comm at Bart's place to request he provide a relay to St Oyland and provide a little information for when I awake. Don't think that's a big ask...Sorry if I'm wrong...but I will be going.
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Thumper »

Just as a precaution, Mick would advise he and Olivia change into Body Pressure Suits (if she has one...otherwise Waterproof Cold Wx Clothes will work)...just in case of an unknown contingency. Shouldn't take long. Mick will take his new Arctic Revolver, Large Bore Rifle, and knife.

On the way, he'll try to be as sociable with Olivia as possible...asking about her field experience. Ever spend time in the bush country? Want to? She seems pretty athletic and outdoorsy...Mick likes that. He'll compliment her on appearing handy with guns, and he really appreciates her being willing to accompany him at this hour and conditions, tell her a bush story about cooking a lizard over a spit for his noble clients who wanted an “authentic” experience while he later ate from a can…”’cause ya can eat it, but it tastes like shit”, etc.

What time is? Around 4am? In town, he'll attempt to make contact with a watchman at this hour and inform him of their presence on the air/grav field and reservation for an ATV. He'll also want to sift anybody for a rundown of local wildlife and habits/vulnerabilities of the predators, environmental threats that aren't obvious, additional pertinent information from rescuing the previous repair party as well as the VET repair party, recommendations on needed equipment (paired with his previous experience), conditions of the road between here and the station (besides newly show filled/drifted), etc.

He’ll definitely inquire what the locals think the weather will be like the next few hours and days.
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0400 Saint Oyland

#64 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.0400 Saint Oyland
Mick and Olivia headed towards the IR signature of the entrance. The wind would have been pleasant back in the heat of Brulantfort, but here in the arctic, it just made the bitter cold even more bitter. Arriving at the entrance, you found what appeared to be - more than anything else - an old wooden “Covered Bridge” - except this bridge didn’t span over anything. Instead, the ground approaching the bridge ramped down to the entrance and the bridge ran into the raised rim that surrounded the crater. The rim supported the dome which, from this distance, you could tell was made of some translucent cloth and was close to 40 meters wide and tall.

The entrance consisted of wooden gates across the tunnel-like covered bridge with no locks or comms nearby. The gates unlatched and swung open with some effort … they were counterweighted with a self-closer … and once opened, they remained open for a while before slowly closing. Shining your lights ahead, the walls were constructed of vertical stone planks held in place by large wooden braces carefully joined together with decorations carved into their surface. Someone had invested considerable skill and effort constructing this tunnel and the effect was almost “shrine-like”.

The tunnel was short and a ‘woosh’ from the end marked an “air curtain” that separated the tunnel and outside from the dome and inside with a wall of air and differential air pressure. Curving to the left and right was a stone wall marking the inner edge of the earthen rim. A geometric grid was anchored to the top of the wall and covered with fabric forming the dome - neither the grid nor fabric registering on the craft’s radar that simply reported the crater beneath them.

Yet what a crater it was. Mick wished for more light to see it all better, but the paved road winding around the perimeter and the terraced garden levels with a steaming lake in the center were all clear enough in the dim glow of soft diffused light that reflected back off the fabric dome to dimly illuminate the landscape in a “twilight”. The community resembled either a forest or tree-houses depending on how you viewed them. The northern ring of the dome consisted of a cluster of cylinders. They were stone on the northern wall but a timber grid on the southern wall with glass panels set into the grid. Ringing the towers were narrow and wide walkways at various intervals with wooden railings and patterned insets to decorate and prevent falling. Each tower was only 9 meters wide, but ten stories (30 meters) tall.

The street (there was only one) was empty and the buildings were dark. A man approached from the buildings and met you shortly before you reached the first tower. “Dider” was friendly enough, starting off with a simple and direct inquiry if there was any trouble … then following up with an introduction that his name was Dider and an inquiry as to what brings you to Saint Oyland in the middle of the night?

Everything about Dieder seemed just a bit “off”. Not malice, but not what it seemed, either. He was not a tall man, but Dieder was powerfully built. Something intangible said “Army” or “Marines” in his bearing. Yet even that was not quite ‘normal’.

The man had bright red hair and a long, full beard that was intricately braided - not completely unlike some of the designs carved into the tunnel supports - with a fine gold chain interwoven with the braids in his beard. His clothing was handmade and dyed from some natural wool and leather, but Mick could barely detect the faintest indicators that at least some of his clothing was lined with a metallic mesh and ballistic plates. What was unmistakable was his weapon skid across his chest in a leather sheath. It was not like anything Mick had encountered. It was not the complexity of the design … that was straight forward … it was an exotic combination of (frankly, archaic) features. The weapon was a break-open shotgun. Having three barrels made it a Drilling (three in some archaic language). The weapon had a pistol grip in place of a shoulder stock, but it still had a carbine length barrel … making it a Tactical Weapon for close combat. The caliber of the weapon was larger than a normal shotgun - closer to Olivia’s LAG.

The issue with that sort of weapon is it serves no purpose not better served by another weapon. Large caliber weapons are good for very long distances and armored targets, but this weapon would only be effective at short range. If one wanted greater damage, smaller diameter rounds with higher velocity would achieve that in a smaller weapon. A lever, pump or magazine would offer more shots than a multi-barrel. So why would he deliberately choose that weapon?

Dieder interrupts your pondering as he stops before a door and pushes it open. “This is the Guest House.” he said “It is for visitors. You should make yourself at home and we will attend to your business in the morning.”

As Dieder walks off, Olivia whispers to Mick “Did you see his boots? I saw people in the Army that laced their boots like that … It was part of Commando Training.”
Reaction roll [5] … cautious.
Perception roll [11] … high success.

Didier (aka. “Cap”) (Age 30):
Below average (2-5) INT; Average (6-8) none; Above average (9-C) STR, DEX, END, EDU, SOC.
[OOC: Would Mick like to COMM the team and update them? … or chase down Dieder and press the issue with a wary local at 4 AM? … or something else?]

[OOC: For anyone else, the Dome is now visible from the plane with any night vision equipment.]

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Eris »

Joe still needs some sleep, but back aboard the plane, Joe will keep a close ear to the comms and an eye on the outside through the cockpit windows until the pair are into the village and report they are safe. He is still wearing his vacc suit and might be able to see the dome on the plane's screens or with his Mark 1 sensors (eyes) with his suit's abilities (makes sense that a vacc suit would have night vision capabilities for work in space).

OOC Question: Don't we already have one ATV aboard? Why didn't we/they unload it from the plane and drive it to St. Oyland instead of walking? I thought we were going to use two ATV's for redundancy, one we brought on the plane and one picked up here, I'm I wrong?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Thumper »

On initial contact, Mick would have applied all his red neck business shmoozing skills (Admin-3). After introductions and being both genuinely interested and trying to warm Didier’s reception, Mick takes a long look at the weapon, and say:

I’m wishing now I’d brought my other sidearm from the plane. I changed my “Shorty” shotgun for these Arctic composite weapons crafted by The People over at X-2, but I normally carry a pistol gripped over-under shotgun. Good for the bush! I love your weapon!

Based on Didier’s response, he may want to examine the unique piece…keeping up a friendly conversation as he did. He’d also compliment the unique community infrastructure and artistry.

kinda like my knife also made by The People. Though different flavors of art… I kinda like ‘em both. He’d look for a chance to say, “That’s not a knife. This is a knife

Trying to turn the chilly reception around and make a personal connection…a bit of a carouse (Steward/Carouse -1). If successful, he’d ask if there would be anyway to rent the ATV early…paying a premium for the inconvenience of their mid-night arrival.

Mick would definitely radio check the watch on the plane and update them.

To Olivia: Nah. Good eye. What d’ya make of it?Seems stiff like they don’t get a lot of visitors here. Can ya make a connection through that?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by atpollard »

Eris wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pmHe is still wearing his vacc suit and might be able to see the dome on the plane's screens or with his Mark 1 sensors (eyes) with his suit's abilities (makes sense that a vacc suit would have night vision capabilities for work in space).
I am not sure if Vacc Suits have IR capability or not (I would have to look that up) ... but we have two backpacks on the Plane and each has Night Vision Binoculars with them [I remembered that]. So it is a trivial matter for Joe to get a pair and look.

The Cockpit is TL 10 ... so the plane has synthetic vision capability (Radar, Light Amplification & IR) through the cockpit window. [That's how they landed on a snow covered road in total darkness.]

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm On initial contact, Mick would have applied all his red neck business shmoozing skills (Admin-3). After introductions and being both genuinely interested and trying to warm Didier’s reception, Mick takes a long look at the weapon, and say:

I’m wishing now I’d brought my other sidearm from the plane. I changed my “Shorty” shotgun for these Arctic composite weapons crafted by The People over at X-2, but I normally carry a pistol gripped over-under shotgun. Good for the bush! I love your weapon!

Based on Didier’s response, he may want to examine the unique piece…keeping up a friendly conversation as he did. He’d also compliment the unique community infrastructure and artistry.

kinda like my knife also made by The People. Though different flavors of art… I kinda like ‘em both. He’d look for a chance to say, “That’s not a knife. This is a knife

Trying to turn the chilly reception around and make a personal connection…a bit of a carouse (Steward/Carouse -1). If successful, he’d ask if there would be anyway to rent the ATV early…paying a premium for the inconvenience of their mid-night arrival.

Mick would definitely radio check the watch on the plane and update them.

To Olivia: Nah. Good eye. What d’ya make of it?Seems stiff like they don’t get a lot of visitors here. Can ya make a connection through that?
"Glad you made it. It occurred to me we could have unloaded the ATV we've already got onboard and saved you the walk over there, but hindsight is 20/20, right." says Joe back when Mick calls.

"Look, unless you need us over there" Joe adds, "and if they aren't going to do business until morning, just chill. It's been a long day and it's going to be a long one coming up. We can all use another hour or two of sleep."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Thumper »

Eris wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm "Glad you made it. It occurred to me we could have unloaded the ATV we've already got onboard and saved you the walk over there, but hindsight is 20/20, right." says Joe back when Mick calls.

"Look, unless you need us over there" Joe adds, "and if they aren't going to do business until morning, just chill. It's been a long day and it's going to be a long one coming up. We can all use another hour or two of sleep."
Mick: Nah, I enjoyed the walk.

We’ll see how this works out.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0410 Saint Oyland

#70 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.0410 Saint Oyland

Didier proved immune to any administrative negotiation. On the one hand, the man was not really clever enough to think outside of the box, he just followed the rules. On the other hand (this part was a bit confusing) … he lacked the authority to make that sort of a decision. If it was a matter of military necessity, then you could present your case to one of the Chiefs at First Light (they rose at 6 AM but would be unhappy with any non-emergency before about 8 AM). If it was a Civil matter, then you would want to talk with the Council of Elders that didn’t assemble until after Sunrise (10 AM). If it was a Merchant Guild matter, then he knew nothing about such things.

Didier warmed up at discussions about weapons. He opened his weapon, removed a Red, Green and Blue color coded Shot Shell from the barrels … Although technically, only the green counted as a shotgun shell since the other two were obviously Slugs … and handed the gun to Mick to examine. The weapon was 21mm caliber (about 8 bore) with three 400 mm barrels and just over 4 kg of weight. A three-position selector switch controlled which barrel fired.

Olivia was discussing ammo while Mick examined the gun and learned that the loads were 000 buck (green), slugs (red) and HE (blue). A discussion of the LAG vs the 8 bore revealed why they didn’t use 18mm shotguns like everyone else. Around here, creatures were tough and damage was king. HE rounds did most of their damage from the HE charge rather than the KE of the projectile and the larger the projectile, the bigger the boom. His weapon may only be Short range, but with the right ammo, it is 9D6 at short range compared to 4D6 at long range for a LAG. Olivia inquired about LAG ammo and Didier dismissed it as a Merchant Guild question that he had no idea of the answer to ... she should ask the little "coal chewers" in the morning.
Immune to Admin check … not his call to make [try Admin at 8AM when Council awake]
Modify reaction: roll [8]+1 (carouse) = 9 … Friendly

Since this is important to you, I will just use the U.S. roller (no modifiers)
Attempt to get equipment sooner … Rule 68A
10+ = get now [4 AM]
8+ = get early [6 AM]
6+ get at first light [8AM]
2-5 get at sunrise [10AM]

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#71 Post by Thumper »

Mick inspects and handles the weapon and the ammo. Once complete, he offers it to Olivia.

Nice! Is this composite material…suitable for the Arctic freeze? From which merchant can I buy some of those in the morning? What about HE or HEAP rounds for 12mm rifles and revolvers? Any 14mm or bigger rifles?

Mick will keep things discussing along this vein a little longer.

Sounds like Arctic people face bigger critters than the Antarctic. I’ve hunted and adventured down there before. Snow Tigers and Ice Leopards. Those cats are the worst…fast and very hidey.

Got ambushed once by an Ice Leopard, got the scars on my chest to prove it. Here, I’ll just take this off…see? Thought I was a goner…gonna get drug off and eaten by that cat. Can’t believe he stopped. Strange story that one. Something happened I just can’t explain. Something felt like it welled up inside me, more felt than heard a strange humming, looked him in the eye and reached my fist out with thumb and little finger like this… seemed we had a connection for a few seconds…like I could “touch” his feelings. After a while, he just turned tail and scampered off up the snowy mountain.

As if coming back from a far away memory..,.Don’t know why I’m telling ya this. Probably was just knocked silly by his attack. Guess I should keep my mouth shut ‘bout that…

Anyway, Sheila’s seem to really dig the scars.

He looks sheepishly at Olivia for telling that dumb story then saying that last bit. He blushes a little.

Anyway, my hunting rifle was sufficient for all the game on the South Polar ice. Ya got much bigger ones here sounds like. What can ya tell me about them? Best way to put ‘em down if needed?

And what happened ta that VET team up at the relay station? Ya know, what about that wasn't on the news? Their ATV still up there…gear and kit still inside it?

After a little talking, he’ll report back to the watch on the plane about bigger guns and HE ammo. As people rise, phone in their orders. He’ll be up on his comm after 7am. He’ll then want to use the room for a little nap, rise/shave, shower, then grab breakfast at 7 in hopes of meeting the ATV and gun vendors at breakfast before opening hours where he’ll attempt to negotiate for early rental and other purchases.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0800 Saint Oyland

#72 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.0500 Saint Oyland

Mick: “Don’t know why I’m telling ya this. Probably was just knocked silly by his attack. Guess I should keep my mouth shut ‘bout that…”

[softly … a barely audible whisper] “You should talk to Sophia about such things. Mother Niki said …” Didier left the sentence unfinished and quickly changed the subject, excited to talk about Arctic hunts and the creatures encountered.

The worst creature he ever encountered was the Arctic MegaWolf … three tons of hairy muscle with teeth that punch through ballistic cloth and crush bones, fastest damn chaser he ever saw … he didn’t think any animal COULD move that quickly, and it took 4 hits from a 21mm HE round to stop it. Doing the math, Mick calculated 36 dice of damage to put it down.

Another interesting creature was a variety of Arctic Cat. They were only about 100 kg, not particularly fast and tended to steal the kill from other animals. However, they had these cartilage plates beneath their skin that would sometimes cause bullets to deflect off and cause a shallow surface wound rather than penetrate deeply … and they liked to hunt in packs. So you can always count on them to show up when you are weak or injured and take advantage of your disadvantage. One hit is usually enough to convince one to leave, but it might take three or four hits to actually kill it since not all will get through those plates. And there are half a dozen of the beasts to deal with! “Sometimes I think I’d rather face one, three-and-a-half tonne wolf than six, one-hundred kilogram armored cats.”

Didier bid you good night as he returned to his patrols. Mick and Olivia got a few hours sleep.
Sophia (Age 31):
Below average (2-5) DEX; Average (6-8) STR, END, INT, EDU, SOC; Above average (9-C) none.

2156.11.7.0800 Saint Oyland

People on the plane arose as the sky showed the first indications of light. It would still be two hours before sunrise, but at this latitude and time of year, sunrise to sunset was only 4 hours long, so every second of twilight had to be made to count.

Outside the plane, the wind continued along with the temperatures (-45C), but the snow was now just a light, intermittent flurry. The wind blew the snow along the ground creating a meter and a half high layer of wind-borne snow that impaired visibility, but above that one could see as far as the dim light permitted. A prominent feature was the giant glowing ball half a click away that covered Saint Oyland. Now that the community was awake, the lights illuminated the inside of the dome and its glow could be seen from the horizon as clearly as from the windows of the plane. While the road itself was obscured by snow, the plane plowed a path along one straight segment of road that was still visible as a rut in the snow, and a depression at the entrance tunnel marked the other straight segment of road, thus only the curve between them needed to be approximated.

Joe readied the ATV with DJ at the wheel as Herbie excitedly used his Cold Weather gear and Head Lamp to scout ahead and verify the track of the road. Technically, the Tracked ATV was fully capable of off-road travel and could have driven to the entrance irrespective of the road … but Herbie was too excited to use his equipment to stop him from trailblazing. Thus Herbie walked in his snowshoes, bundled in his protective clothes, probed with his entrenching tool and scanned ahead with his head light. The Tracked ATV followed behind plowing through the snow and delineating the road. At least returning to the ship would be quick since the road would now be marked.

Saint Oyland was as Mick had described it … only more so. Now it was possible to see the fallow gardens where vegetables had been harvested and the last of the flowers going dormant for winter. Some beds had already been winterized to ready them for replanting and others were in the process. A few were still being harvested. With four score people on a single street with only eight buildings, the community was alive with activity and “life”.

The two commercial buildings at one end were a Grocery Store and a Restaurant. Then came the Visitor House where Mick and Olivia were staying. In the center was some sort of Government or Communal Assembly building. A private residence mirrored the Visitor House and then two commercial buildings: a Hardware Store and Construction Company. These occupied the lowest two levels immediately adjacent to the one-lane paved road. Above your heads, a wooden balcony projected 1.5 meters beyond the northern glass wall of the round buildings with a second 1.5 meter balcony above that and a 3 meter wide platform high above that (presumably forming a second - upper - street). All of the buildings appeared to be Residential homes above this lowest level.

The people were all pale skinned with an equal mix of red, blonde, brown and black hair. The men had elaborately braided beards and the women had braided hair (some long and some fixed up in a complex style. Almost everyone wore some jewelry - gold, silver, copper - with intricate relief and complex chainwork but no stones set in it. The cloth all seemed to be made locally of natural fibers dyed in bright colors and woven into plaids and tartans. Outfits tended towards familiar styles with a juxtaposition of a tartan pattern over a complimentary solid.

Almost EVERYONE was armed and most had some sort of large caliber smoothbore pistol - variations on a shotgun pistol. They included single shot break-open, revolvers and lever action. There were longer “tactical” versions that added Pump-action to the list carried in baldrics like a sword. Some men even had full Longarms in back sheaths (often with a pistol in a belt holster). An occasional individual wore double shoulder holsters for carrying two handguns and the citizens tended to defer to such individuals with special treatment (like stepping aside or a salute of respect).

As soon as you approached the people, you found yourselves the center of attention. Visitors were rare and the people were friendly and curious. You found yourselves bombarded with questions about the outside world … especially by children.

Are you a fugitive? Have you ever been mugged? Have you ever mugged anyone?
Where are you from? What is it like? What sort of food do they eat?
Are you a Hunter, a Merchant or a Farmer?
What sort of gun do you prefer?
Have you encountered any creatures nearby? Did you see any Grazers on your way in?
What sort of goods do you have to trade? What sort of goods are you looking for?
Are you hungry? Thirsty? Do you need a place to rest?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 2156.11.7.0800 Saint Oyland

#73 Post by Thumper »

atpollard wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm 2156.11.7.0500 Saint Oyland

softly … a barely audible whisper] “You should talk to Sophia about such things. Mother Niki said …” Didier left the sentence unfinished and quickly changed the subject, excited to talk about Arctic hunts and the creatures encountered.
Mick is astounded by the Northern creatures he just heard about. He turns to Olivia and says:We're gonna need a bigger gun.
But while chatting up about animals and hunts, Mick has been only half engaged. This weird thing that happened years ago in the far south still has him spooked...he can't just let it go.

Before parting, Mick will say with great sincerity and a little embarrassment in front of Olivia: Didier, if you think Sophia can help me understand this...thing, I'm all ears. I'll be at the restaurant at 7am. I'd be happy to buy breakfast for you and Sophia, if that's possible. I'll be shopping for guns and seeking our rental ATV once the stores open. I just can't get this thing out of my noggin.
Almost EVERYONE was armed and most had some sort of large caliber smooth-bore pistol - variations on a shotgun pistol...
This seems to corroborate Didier's tales of the hours before. He begins observing for styles and functions he likes, and speaks with Olivia about her preferences.

Nope. Nope...never. Of course not.
He'd regale a few quick tales of eating lizards, crocs, snakes, etc. Snakes are good eatin'
Hunter and a businessman...adventure and hunting guide.
He'll show pics of his trophy. But up here, my new heart throb will be one of your big-bores
Have you encountered any creatures nearby? Did you see any Grazers on your way in?
Not yet. Just got here.
What sort of goods do you have to trade? What sort of goods are you looking for?
Just some smaller Arctic composite weapons picked up at X-2. When I come back, I''ll show you some reptile skin on my jacket. It's in the plane. Might be interested in the teeth on my hat, too.
Just some breakfast, a few big guns, and the ATV we'll need for the expedition. I promise to spend a little time here after the job. I kind a want to hunt the area with y'all.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Once again DJ is surprised by what he finds out in the wilderness and how people can find ways to live their way out here.
DJ laughs, "Not that I know off. I did have my wallet stolen once when I was a teenager."
"I was born in a place called Mountsoleil here on Beau, but I've spent a lot of time up in space. I dunno, we eat meat and veg I suppose, usual stuff. "
"I'm a... fixer I suppose. I fix things, and people too."
He pats his snub pistol on his belt
"May not look like much, but she's reliable."
"All I've seen is snow." he says with a smile.
"Just passing through on a job."
"I ain't going to say no to a decent breakfast. We're looking for a friends of ours, he would have arrived a few hours ago."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2156.11.7.0800 Saint Oyland

#75 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm 2156.11.7.0500 Saint Oyland

As soon as you approached the people, you found yourselves the center of attention. Visitors were rare and the people were friendly and curious. You found yourselves bombarded with questions about the outside world … especially by children.
Joe steps out of the ATV and laughs as the people surround him and ask questions,

"I'll answer! I'll answer" he chuckles, "Give me a second, ok?"

"No, no, no! Been in some fights and had somebody try to mug me, but they didn't succeed."

"A star far from here, several jumps. Just a place, not cold like this, though. Food, you know meat, starches, cheese. Normal stuff."

"I'm a Spacer!" Joe says proudly, "Without a Starship for the moment, but that's what I am. I suppose I'm a Merchant, too, but more an explorer than trader."

"Ha! I prefer not needing a gun, but when I do I'd prefer a big pulse laser on a starship. For close up, I guess a shotgun is my preference."

"Nope, we flew in, just out there!" Joe points, "So, you've got Grazers up here, and if you've got Grazers I guess you've got Chasers, too. From what I've heard, big bad ones."

"We're here to try to fix the Comm Relay Station up north of here." Joe says, "I reckon y'all heard about it going down and a team of repair folk going missing. Y'all have any ideas about what might of happened to them?"

"Reckon I could eat." Joe smiles, "But once we pick up supplies and an ATV we rented we'll be heading out."

"You know we might could use a guide or two to go with us, though. Anybody y'all would suggest?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Thumper »

Hiring a guide or two is a fantastic idea

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Hvalreki »

Herbie grins as he's caught up in the bedlam of excited children

"A what? No, I'm not on the run. Funny story about how I wound up in the army though... I was mugged, twice on the same day in fact, but I've never mugged anyone."

"I'm from Beau, and live in the colony. It's real nice, I have a pressure tent and everything. I like hamburgers and french fries, and Ice cream!"

"I worked a combine on a farm in the summertime, then I was in the Army and now I'm a medic! He points proudly at the red cross on the medical pack he's carrying."

"Well, I trained a lot with the rifle back in the army but I'd prefer none at all 'cept Mick told us there were dangerous animals around here."

"I'm not sure about any Grazers, was dark when we landed," he says pointing at his headlamp and switching it off.

Herbie's eyes light up at the mention of trade. "I'd love to look at what you have to trade! I was a peddler before the army, I bet not many on Beau have been here before."

"I'm always up for a good meal. I slept on the plane and we need to get moving to fix the relay, do you know where that is?"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0900 Saint Oyland

#78 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.0900 Saint Oyland
Locating the other members of the party was a simple task. There was only one street. There were less than 100 people. You all averaged about a head taller than the local population (although you weighed the same, so they were stockier as a genetic group).

As you converged, you obtained some answers to your inquiries:

SOPHIA:
Mick rose early and was at the restaurant, but the community was still asleep and neither Sophia nor Didier joined him. It did not come as a complete surprise, from his abrupt change of topic, Mick suspected that he would have to seek out Sophia for himself … Didier wanted no part of any of it. “Sophia” and “Mother Niki” were the only clues Mick had at this point.

CHILDREN:
As the group interacted with the inquisitive children, several comments drew unexpected responses. At the mention of eating snakes, several children looked confused and one flat out asked “What’s a snake?” Apparently there is a shortage of education about reptiles among the Arctic population.
When DJ said he “fixed people” and Herbie proudly pointed to his Medic bag, one teenage girl responded with understanding “Oh, like Mother Niki! What sort of plants do you have in your bag?”

COMM TOWER:
About a quarter of the population knew where the COMM TOWER was, but the Hunters from Saint Oyland don’t go near it. The community doesn’t want or need any trouble from VET or the Government, so they have nothing to do with either one of them. As far as what happened to the repair team, they know nothing more than what everyone has seen on the news. Their guess about what happened to them is “eaten by a pack of chasers of scavengers” and those [the word had no translation … when asked for a meaning, you were told it meant someone that was unfamiliar with Arctic Survival and was a derogatory term for people from the temperate climate that stumbled around the Arctic] from X-2 just ran in and ran out as fast as they could because VET made them go and none wanted to be there … so, who knows what is or is not at the Complex if you really search.

GUIDE:
Not thrilled with getting involved, one hunter is willing to guide you to the Tower and back to Saint Oyland for Cr 100 per day - he needs the cash - however, he will not enter the Comm Tower Complex with you. He just doesn’t want to see you all wander off and get lost and freeze to death.

WEAPONS:
When DJ comments on the reliability of his Snub Pistol, a hunter with a scar and a braided blonde beard takes him quietly aside and warns him that depending on the exact oil used, the lubrication in an Auto Pistol freezes somewhere between -10 C and -20 C … so that weapon may jam or break internally rather than fire in the Arctic.

The Hardware Store has several weapons in stock that can be purchased:
Four (4) 15mm Double-barrel Howdah Pistols
One (1) 15mm Triple-barrel Shotgun
Three (3) 18mm Single-barrel Shotguns
One (1) 21mm Triple-barrel Shotgun

In addition they have 1000 rounds each of 12mm, 15mm, 18mm and 21mm ammo in #1, 00, 000, slug & HE. You can purchase 100 round boxes of any you want.

Other weapons (see the MAPS & REFERENCE) can be special ordered, but are not immediately in stock.

FOOD & TRANSPORTATION:
You enjoy a hearty, if high in cholesterol, breakfast at the local restaurant and the Community loads your purchases into the ATV (waiting on the road). So by 9 AM, the group is ready to leave … unless it chooses to delay its departure.
15mm Double-Barrel Howdah: (1.5 kilograms; Cr 120; TL 7; Length 430 mm; Recoil 9.7): A 2-barrel (s/s or o/u) break-open smoothbore pistol that fires 22 gram loads from a 30 cm barrel at 400 meters per second. Each barrel is individually loaded.
#1 shot: 8 x 1D6; Short range of 3 meters.
00 shot: 6 x 1D6; Short range of 3 meters.
000 shot: 4 x 1D6+1; Short range of 4 meters.
slug/DS: 3D6-1; Short range of 8 meters.
HE/HEAP slug: 8D6-1; Short range of 8 meters.

15mm Triple-Barrel Shotgun: (2.9 kilograms; Cr 340; TL 7; Length 980 mm; Recoil 9.1): A 3-barrel (triangle) break-open shotgun that fires 22 gram loads from a 60 cm barrel at 490 meters per second. Each barrel is individually loaded.
#1 shot: 8 x 1D6+1; Short range of 20 meters.
00 shot: 6 x 1D6+1; Short range of 23 meters.
000 shot: 4 x 2D6-1; Short range of 28 meters.
slug/DS: 3D6+1; Short range of 56 meters.
HE/HEAP slug: 8D6+1; Short range of 56 meters.

18mm Single-Barrel Shotgun: (2.2 kilograms; Cr 90; TL 7; Length 1010 mm; Recoil 12.0): A 1-barrel break-open shotgun that fires 37 gram loads from a 60 cm barrel at 460 meters per second. The barrel is reloaded after each shot.
#1 shot: 14 x 1D6; Short range of 16 meters.
00 shot: 10 x 1D6+1; Short range of 19 meters.
000 shot: 8 x 1D6+1; Short range of 21 meters.
slug/DS: 4D6; Short range of 60 meters.
HE/HEAP slug: 11D6-1; Short range of 60 meters.

21mm Triple-Barrel Shotgun: (6.6 kilograms; Cr 790; TL 7; Length 1060 mm; Recoil 11.4): A 3-barrel (triangle) break-open shotgun that fires 59 gram loads from a 60 cm barrel at 440 meters per second. Each barrel is individually loaded.
#1 shot: 22 x 1D6; Short range of 14 meters.
00 shot: 16 x 1D6+1; Short range of 16 meters.
000 shot: 13 x 1D6+1; Short range of 18 meters.
slug/DS: 5D6; Short range of 63 meters.
HE/HEAP slug: 13D6-1; Short range of 63 meters.
What is the plan?
Leave the plane and DRIVE from here (100 km/3 hours) in 2 ATVs?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Thumper »

Mick would describe the temperate and jungle environment as dense areas of their gardens and orchard. Then he’d show the kids videos of snakes.

He’d inquire about how to contact Sophia or Mother Niki when they return to the village as he shopped.

Mick figures that out there, his best role is as a shooter providing overwatch of the team. Therefore, he’d be interested in a Howda Shorty with a thigh holster and the 21mm tri-barrel on a shoulder sling.

He figures on one box of HE/HEAP rounds for both of the guns, 1x Triple Ought buck shot in 21mm, and 1x #1 shot in 15mm

I like the plan you stated…

Would the St Oyland 18mm ammo fit the X-2 18mm pump shotguns? Length of shell would be the issue.
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2156.11.7.0900 Saint Oyland

#80 Post by shaidar »

DJ
atpollard wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:05 am WEAPONS:
When DJ comments on the reliability of his Snub Pistol, a hunter with a scar and a braided blonde beard takes him quietly aside and warns him that depending on the exact oil used, the lubrication in an Auto Pistol freezes somewhere between -10 C and -20 C … so that weapon may jam or break internally rather than fire in the Arctic.
"Thanks for the warning. I also got this." he shows the man the revolver from X-2 he has in a shoulder holster "I picked it up in X-2, hopefully it'll be more reliable out here. I ain't got any fancy ammo for it, just the regular stuff. I don't suppose I there's somewhere around here I can get some HE or HEAP ammo for it? I've also got a shotgun, but I ain't got much experience with them."

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”