Wandering newcomer

Post here to introduce yourself.
donjong
Runner
Runner

Wandering newcomer

#1 Post by donjong »

Hello everyone,

I am donjong and am here looking to join my first ever PbP game. My first ever TTRPG was D&D 4E which my friends and I played for a short while before switching to 5E. We enjoyed that system and played it for years, finishing a couple of long campaigns and numerous short ones. But over time, I grew tired of the system and its flaws and design choices. After dabbling in various other systems, I was introduced to the old-school style of play approximately a year ago. I quickly found out that this is the playstyle (and refereeing-style!) which appeals to me the most. Nowadays I run games using the OSE system (my players have just begun exploring the halls of Stonehell).

Since I don't get enough of tabletop gaming, I've come to this place looking to get my fix. I am completely new to PbP, and am not completely sure what I am looking for (since I don't yet know much about how these games tend to look). For me, one of the best things about old-school systems is the robust 'procedures', and I'd prefer an old-school procedure-heavy game, whether it's crawling hexes or dungeons, but other than that the specific choice of system is not very important to me.

Not really sure where to look but I will explore these forums a bit and see what I can learn.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Wandering newcomer

#2 Post by dmw71 »

donjong wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 pm Not really sure where to look but I will explore these forums a bit and see what I can learn.
Welcome, donjong. You’ll find plenty of D&D options here, of all editions (except 4e, which is allowed, but, to my knowledge, has never been attempted).

Your best bet is to peruse the games currently running, or to make a post in the ‘Looking for players or games’ topic.

Any questions, just ask.

Good luck!
- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Welcome!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard donjong!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Welcome!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Yes, welcome to the Forums!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Welcome! There’s a great mapping program called Donjon.
Welcome and enjoy!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Welcome!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Norjax »

Welcome aboard!

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by Straither »

After dabbling in various other systems, I was introduced to the old-school style of play approximately a year ago. I quickly found out that this is the playstyle (and refereeing-style!) which appeals to me the most.
Welcome, sure you can find a few old school based games here, D&D 1st or 2nd editions, some new DCC games and the odd Labyrinth Lord.

I would just recommend lurking on a few forums and following up interest with messaging the GMs or in the Looking for Players thread.

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”