Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

Spearmint
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

#561 Post by kwll »

When he hears Fydmar say the words 'the mage', Genaromes turns his head towards him, half surprised, half smiling, then quickly goes back to his task.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#562 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Fydmar, I'm not sure but it seems like the shape is off. Perhaps a room offset from this one makes use of some space or a hidden/secret door provides access. Gen we'll need to note the discrepancy on the make unless we learn of it as we explore this area fully. Wrathbone...be careful and Gen let us know if you spot anything obvious on the obelisk. Everyone don't stray too far. No more than 30 ft for safety perhaps.

Drugo makes sure he has his sword and shield ready and a lantern going if needed.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#563 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Will keep his eye on Genaromes as he checks out the obelisk, just in case something unfortunate & unexpected occurs.
How about we check the first room off the far southern hallway next and see if there seems to be space for another room in the in between area? That would give us some good ideas on parts of the room to look for secret doors in the walls. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to check floors also. I've heard of tombs that have done such to confuse would be.......visitors.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#564 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Alright Fydmar that sounds good to me. Let's see what we find out from Gen and any of the dwarves on the obelisk and stonework in the room."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#565 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Per Durgo's request, he heads into the room with Genaromes to examine the room for unusual stonework or sliding/shifting walls:

Detect shifting/sliding walls/rooms [1d6]=5 vs. 1-4

Nothing appears to be off to him but perhaps Fydmar or Wrathbone's skills are better than his.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Harpy Halls.
How about we check the first room off the far southern hallway next and see if there seems to be space for another room in the in between area? That would give us some good ideas on parts of the room to look for secret doors in the walls. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to check floors also. I've heard of tombs that have done such to confuse would be.......visitors.
Not quite sure where you mean, but I will fill in this section here.

Wrathbone. Guarding the corridors from the south, you can see several passages lead off to the west, the south passage eventually joining up to the Harpy Shaft corridor. A small crypt is set into one wall but you don't explore inside, merely passing carefully beyond and back. Yngvar and his mastiff Brutus do a circuit of the area, walking around the set of crypts that form the middle block. He arrives to join up with the dwarf at the southern end. Rickford & Duvall maintain a watch from the top of the diagonal corridor.

Inside, the others take to investigating the Obelisk and checking the adjoining room. The stone edifice has runes of 'the black tongue' engraved upon it. Each side gives a declaration of some title, offering a blessing to those who swear a fealty to one of the underworld gods. The sides have the runes and a hollowed hand-print, suggesting each devotee at the Obelisk must supplicate in some way, placing open palms on the stone. You can see the flagstones at the foot of the Obelisk are slightly worn from the continued knees bowed before it. Genaromes

Genaromes: Obelisk Investigations vs 14 [4d6]=20

gulps as he studies the monument as inadvertently his investigations are a little lax and he placed his hand upon a palm imprint before deciphering their full meaning. He quickly withdraws his hand expecting more nightmarish flashes or lightening strikes, but nothing untoward happens. ... ...

"Each side seems to cover base adventurer skill-sets, so rogues pray here, mages use this one, warriors that side, clerics here." he can assess its facets.

Bhelnus, there are no other features in this lopsided crypt.

Durgo & Fydmar & Brother Symeon advance into the next crypt, another odd room with a door set into the north wall.

actions everyone please

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-03-19-20-12-02-816~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-19-20-12-02-816~2.jpg (172.7 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#567 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo takes a look around the room for any signs of peculiarities before he moves about in it more thoroughly. "I'm going to search for secret door here. I'm not sure we did that in the last room...I have a mind to destroy that obelisk in the last room too if it pertains to an evil god."

Durgo goes to the area of the room where he suspects there might be a secret door. Just south of the door they just came in.

If they didn't look in the last room, he does so now while Fydmar and the others look over this room.
Back in the previous room he searches the south wall..

Durgo say to Rickford, Duvall, Wrathbone and Yngvar, "Move closer to the room Gen and Bhel are in now or near the door in the hallway to this room."

Durgo returns to the room everyone is in now and provide any information gained on not gained.

"How is it going in here folks?"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#568 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
What I meant was the room on the corner, but no worries, we'll get there later. I thought the obelisk room was more "north" anyway.
He will aid Durgo in his search. rolls as needed: secret doors [1d6]=3, Dwarf stonework check [1d100]=12
(as they talk more of the obelisk) I don't trust that obelisk - makes my hair stand up. Do we have any way of divining its intent?

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#569 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

Looks over the Obelisk but refrains from touching it. "We were blessed by Moradin for the python offering and I am sure favour awaits us for the deeds we have done.

I am not sure to lay my hand upon this edifice to trick favour that is unwarranted or undeserved, especially from those 'of the Dark Side'".

He will add his knowledge to that 10'ft portion of south wall in the second room, convinved the block must be hollow and some hidden vault of goodies is beyond.

Wrathbone: Dwarven construction skill check: [1d100]=46 or [4d6]=15

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#570 Post by kwll »

Having seemingly seen everything that there is to be seen in the obelisk, Genaromes moves to the next room to see Wrathbone at work. Not without a little apprehension...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by Spearmint »

There is of course a rather obvious section of blank map that betrays a secret crypt and in no time, the explorers indeed find the latch to open the niche. A whiff of fetid rot escapes once the secret door is opened but nothing more insidious is inside. Instead, for once a boon of basic exploration equipment; ropes, door spiking wedges, toolkits, oil flasks and two flasks of holy water and a devotional prayer book with a rosary of chained beads ending in an iron Ygg cross emblem with a ruby gem inset into the centre.

A skeleton, dressed in ragged habit huddles slumped in a corner. You presume the adventuring priest. His broken staff split in twain, bones fractured from heavy blows. Perhaps he sought refuge here post battle or was placed inside with a promise that 'help will.come'. Sadly he is beyond help now and faithful in death, in a much better place celestially.

Brother Symeon can attest the 'goodness' of the religious articles, feeling once 'attuned' after using them in his morning prayer devotional, they might accentuate a minor blessing.

Genaromes, inadvertently initiating his own 'blessing', (albeit a Nergal or Orcus one), feels no immediate ill effects of imprinting his hand upon the Obelisk.

Wrathbone, as far as the Waxwork Neshralk goes, you light the wick on his helmet and speak a trigger word on his foot. The miniature figure then animates and effectively can stand guard or patrol a doorway or object. Its crossbow has a minor affliction for damage (Sleep causing agent). It can be used once daily for a four hour period, obeying simply guard commands.

Those guarding withdraw into the Obelisk room from the outside passages. Characters (all in the second room) investigate the secret cubby and gear, giving a last rites blessing to the deceased and venturing through the next door.

Basic equipment can be just noted as added to group supplies held by npc's. I can note Bro Symeon taking psalm book & holy symbol and holy water for ease unless otherwise specified.

The next chamber mirrors the Obelisk one in terms of shape but this time has a iron statue, one of a strange hybrid mix of humanoid features (Mongrelman) with a Bovidae goatish, yawning visage and horns that curl over its forehead. The statue has several dents and chips, evidence it may have been vandalized.

There are two closed doors, for ease; a red and a green one.

next actions please

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-03-19-20-12-02-816~3.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-19-20-12-02-816~3.jpg (86.49 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#572 Post by Straither »

Inside the crypts, Wrathbone will give a once over inspection to the secret room (which must be inside that blue square).

If the body is a priest or at least human, then Brother Symeon ought to see to any ritual blessing, especially if any chance of him resurrecting as Undead. I can always 'make sure' if there are doubts, taping my trusty halberd to finish off any head chopping securities.

I will pouch the Wax-guard 'Trooper Nesh' I shall call him. The next room with the iron statue. I will take a gander at the goat. Is it wrought cast, modern art deco or a rusted piece of trash? Not that my appraisal skills vouch for much but we should be able to tell quality from mundane and thinking goats = Orcus cult, what if any cult association, engravings or design it may have.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#573 Post by kwll »

Genaromes joins Wrathbone in the examination of the iron statue. He will especially check if the figure is a genuine work of art -- however hostile it may look -- or if it is of magical origin, like a petrified creature of sorts.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#574 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Basic equipment can be just noted as added to group supplies held by npc's. I can note Bro Symeon taking psalm book & holy symbol and holy water for ease unless otherwise specified.

Durgo says, "Rickford you and Duvall please gather the extra supplies no one took for themselves and guard at the slanted hallway door again please."

Brother Symeon if you'd be so kind to bless the poor soul. I can join you in pray as well.

"Gen are you ok..What did you just say? I think something happened to you when you touched that obelisk. Brother Symeon, can you check on Gen as well please."

"Let's search the room with the iron statue and pick a door to try at your choosing Fydmar."

Durgo keeps his sword and shield ready along with his lantern if needed. I think my trinket is recharged; I just haven't activated it for the day.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#575 Post by kwll »

Genaromes, interrupting for a time his examinations, turns to Durgo. "I don't know really, it was a fleeting feeling, like..." he hesitates "... like a familiar sensation. It's hard to explain." He shrugs, then concentrates again on the statue.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#576 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
If there is a flask of oil in the adventuring supplies of the priest, he will take one. Then he'll examine the iron statue to see if it is mechanical in any way or if it seems as it if would move or pivot. Hmm, dents and chips: vandalism, or was it moving or working or fighting in the past... If satisfied that it is just a statue, he will move on to inspecting the green door. This door seems more intriguing.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#577 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Harpy Halls.

The iron statue is investigated and the plinth that it stands upon seems to be a hollow base. A loose door gives access to the inside which seems to be filled with roots and mosses to form a nest of sorts. A squeak comes from a whiskered kit inside that tempted by a proffered crumb, comes to nibble out of the palm of Genaromes. It is a Mustelid type creature, though only cat sized now, it is immature in development, being a kitten of a Giant Weasel. The creature seems to bond affectionately with the mage, biting out at other fingers that try to pet it, especially any dwarven sausage fingers. Genaromes empathises with its demand for food; it is hungry and a juicy rodent will be just great.

Attachments
Giant Weasel kitten: mage familiar
Giant Weasel kitten: mage familiar
tumblr_11a13143fd996971837b3bb3d928d855_ecd98e6f_1280~2.png (544.1 KiB) Viewed 97 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#578 Post by Spearmint »

The iron statue does not seem to mind the poking at prodding into its nether regions.

The body of the cleric is blessed and wrapped in his cloak. Any identity tabs taken note of. It is left inside the secret alcove. The red and green framed doors checked. No obvious traps; they are quite ordinary panelled doors and Fydmar opens the green one in preference. The next chamber is about twenty feet by thirty with a slanted wall to the NW corner. The room has two doors set into the opposing eastern wall and has a large coffer in the centre. The coffer has a pile of bones inside, not one skeleton body but rather a pile of cast aside bones that have been well gnawed upon. Still poking for any morsels in the bone strewn pile is a large and extremely stinky ghoulish figure with his companion nibbling upon the remnant pelt of a torn apart giant bushy tailed mammal. As Fydmar opens the door, the figures are alerted to 'dinner guests' and they seem to invite themselves to lunch upon the visitors.

Such is their nauseous and carrion stink, that those who get too close will surely be affected by a strong urge to revisit their breakfast through violent episodes of retching.

actions please.

Fydmar, add a Saving Throw vs Poison please to avoid the ghastly effects.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#579 Post by kwll »

Suprised by the appearance of the small animal, the young wizard raises his eyebrows and starts to pet it. Seeing as it is obviously hungry, he reaches out in his pack and brings forth a few bits of food as offerings. "Hey there, little weasel. What were you doing under this statue?" he asks, as if expecting an answer. Genaromes loses immediately any will to search further, having somehow found what he was looking for. Jubilant, he takes the young animal in his arms and asks around: "So, how are we going to name it?"

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#580 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

Thinks of another Beastmaster who was surrounded by furry and feathered companions, Kodo & Podo come to mind
and who cried when one sacrificed itself in the final battle scene and went "awh" when a latter scene revealed the other ferret had given birth?
When two mingy rather than Mink creatures emerge in the adjoining crypt, Wrathbone unsheathes his halberd and charges to bar the 'green door' doorway, hacking out at one of the ghasts and buffing himself up for melee using any bonus (easter egg) given.

Wrathbone: Halberd [1d20]=15 damage [1d10]=3

Wrathbone:14+ Saving Throw vs Poison (+4 race bonus, +4 Easter Egg) [1d20+8]=14+8=22

"Ghasts, worse than ghouls. But if they bleed, they can be killed!" he says.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”