Chapter IV - Comancheria (Charlie & Ezekiel)

jemmus
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter IV - Comancheria (Charlie & Ezekiel)

#121 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Salutes the boy's desire and courage, covering him if need be with his rifle.

After that he assumes a position behind some sandbagged biscuit boxes.

"Anyone got a harmonica? Strum up a dixie tune or two. Keep our spirits up and assure these pesky Comanches that our resolve is strong?"

Sarge Ezekiel: Stature (7) [1d20]=4

He might know a few old churchified hymns, but he can leave 'Shall we gather at the river' for the graveside requiems, instead starting a more melodious chorus.

https://youtu.be/8Wy_WL-bZ4k?si=uZCDVwb5vb-jKZqy

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by jemmus »

Previously
Charlie offers to let Sykes take Pict with him as a remount. Sykes replies, That's real generous of ya, Mr. Charlie. Thank you. I'll take good care of him.

Now
Some of the settlers join Ezekiel in singing. Soon all around the circle of wagons, men, women and children are singing the lively "Camp Town Races."
De Camptown ladies sing dis song, Doo-dah! doo-dah!
De Camptown race-track five miles long, Oh, doo-dah day!
I come down dah wid my hat caved in, Doo-dah! doo-dah!
I go back home wid a pocket full of tin, Oh, doo-dah day!
Gwine to run all night!
Gwine to run all day!
I’ll bet my money on de bob-tail nag,
Somebody bet on de bay.

Nobody knows the lyrics of the next verse, so they just keep repeating that one three more times. The Comanches sit on their horses in the moonlight, looking at the toward the suddenly noisy and cheerful ring of wagons in the distance.

Will post again later.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by jemmus »

The night inside the ring of wagons passes slowly. The settlers turn to singing slower, quieter church hymns. Whether that's because they're looking for inspiration from them, or they're the only other songs everyone knows, it's hard to tell. The Comanches at both the south and north ends of the road counter by building fires and dancing stomping, bent at the waist dances, while whooping singing what must be fierce war songs. Toward daybreak the singing inside the circle dies out, as do the war dances. As the Sun starts to come up, Campbell walks around the circle and says, Ladies and gentlemen, save yer water. No splashing faces or washing clothes. Drink only as much as ya need to. We're goin to have to make do with what we got until the Army comes. That might not be until tomorra, or the next day even. Tired, sleep-deprived faces nod. A farming man grumbles in a clearly audible voice. We paid good money fer the company to git us safely to our deed land. And they got us inta a Comanches trap. With no water. Campbell only says, Save yer water. Git some rest. Fer now, we'll do the same through the day as last night-- half of the men guard with their firearms while the other half rest.

He walks over to Charlie and Sarge and says, They aren't carryin much water with em. Just a partly full bucket or crock of it per family. Water's heavy ta haul, and that's hard on teams and axles. So we fill up at every river, creek er stream. Most of em will be out a water before sundown. We have to hope Mr. Sykes makes it through, and the Army is double-timin it.

A couple of minutes later, the Comanche group to the south quietly lopes off to the west. The group to the north does the same. Campbell stands watching them while they disappear into the hills. What do ya reckon that means? Nothin good, I suppose. I'm no Indian fighter, but I'm guessin that them 25 Comanches didn't want to take on two dozen waitin modern rifles and shotguns. So they got another plan. I think we got two options. Start moving toward water, Fredericksburg and the fort. And risk gittin hit quick while the wagons are strung out along the road. Or stay, and give them fellas time for their friends to come ridin in and gather inta a big party. Mr. Ezekiel, you're an Army scout and Mr. Charlie, pardon to say, but ya appear to know somethin about Comanches. How many men do ya think they could get together from yesterday until later today? And what do ya think about those two options? I'd like to git yer thoughts before I present them to the men for a decision. And if there's an option I didn't think of, I'd appreciate hearin it.

The PCs can make Indian Contact rolls for better insight into estimated numbers and/or Comanche behavior.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Indian Contact (9) [1d20]=1

Nice!

"If we make it through the night, then we make a plan."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Ezekiel: Observation (14) [1d20]=19 Indian Contact (13) [1d20]=6

Shrugs. He is more for proactive actions than waiting. Riding out with a posse to taken on one of the separate groups by surprise. Hitting them from behind. Or shooting, taking captive their horses.

Anyone in the wagon got a bugle? Could we stage a charade that the cavalry are arriving sooner.

Ezekiel: Rifle (4): Careful Shot vs Dex 17 [1d20]=9

He pings a wandering prairie dog, just to keep his aim and range in.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by jemmus »

Sorry for the delay in posting. This thread is potentially very tactical-strategic ATM, so I don't want to overlook anything along the way.

From the Indian Contact rolls, Charlie and Ezekiel know this.

The Comanches don't like attacking fixed, defended positions, such as forts and wagon train circles, even if they have the better numbers. They're light cavalry guerillas who use mobility to their advantage.

They don't like to fight dismounted. They'll even fire and reload muzzle-loading rifles from horseback.

Generally, they're armed about like this:
-Lance - 10%
-Bow - 30%
-Muzzle loading rifles - 15%
-Single shot rifles (Sharps) - 25%
-Lever action carbine - 10%
-Lever action rifle - 10%

Some have muzzle loading pistols or revolvers in addition. All have knifes. Maintaining adequate ammunition for the big variety of firearms can be a problem. But if that happens, the Comanche warrior always has the lance, the bow, and plenty of arrows with bendable but sharp trade-iron arrowheads.

For religious reasons, they never leave their dead and wounded behind. So they don't like fights that might involve a lot of casualties. Retrieving the dead and wounded while under fire by modern firearms can a vicious circle of escalating casualties, more dead and wounded to retrieve, more casualties, etc.

They take Texan women and girls captive, but they never leave a male settler alive.

From having driven all rival tribes (such as the Tonkawa and Apache) from the buffalo range, they're arrogant about their superior status, both as fighters and as a tribe.

In this situation, the settlers seem to have encountered the warriors of a single band. Probably Charlie encountered few young men from the band out on a ride-about. Then they brought the other warriors from the band back with them. Other bands might be a day or so's ride away. When there's a good target available, the men of the bands may former a larger party. Joining is voluntary. But a Comanche who is presented with an invitation to fight an enemy will rarely turn it down. They only would if they had a very good reason, such as being in mourning or for some personal spiritual reason. Duty, honor, pride, and the adventure of testing oneself (and one's horse) in combat compel the man to join the warband.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Rex »

Charlie

"I think if we may be able to wait them out. They don't want to attack us in the circle, they are trying to get us to panic and do something stupid."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel
Anyone in the wagon got a bugle? Could we stage a charade that the cavalry are arriving sooner?

I will raise that as a question to Sykes & Campbell. The reason is that I think just waiting out the Comanche until cavalry arrive actually hands initiative over to them, especially as we have no way of knowing the rider got through.

I would rather not 'sit in hope' even if we have a greater defence in doing so.
They don't like to fight dismounted.
This goes back to a previous thought to preemptively strike their horses and drive a few away.
For religious reasons, they never leave their dead and wounded behind.
What about sneaking out and grabbing a few captives. Bring them back, hog tie each to a wagon and use as human shields?
Other bands might be a day or so's ride away
other bands joining are not what we need to wait for. Who arrives on the scene first? Comanche reinforcement or cavalry rescue?
such as being in mourning
We need to put some of them in that position. Especially chiefs and elder shaman.
"And if there's an option I didn't think of, I'd appreciate hearin it."
So what support can I garner for any of the above suggestions (having already ruled out a ransom of trade).

A) sneak out, attack corraled horses.
B) sneak out, grab a handful of captives.
C) sneak out, circle round and ride into camp all guns blazing to take down the Chief.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by Bluetongue »

So let 'Sarge' Ezekiel add a bit of his reasoning on those suggestions.

A) strike at the Comanche horses.

Limits Comanche casualties; more causing frustration and delay. It takes away their preferred attack strategy and Comanche in foot hanging around might be hoovered up by arriving cavalry. It takes their time to gather horses back, time in which we use to leave or it widens the gap for cavalry to come to our rescue. Even grabbing twenty to thirty horses will severely dent any attacks and could be achieved with just four or five volunteers.

B) Grab a captive or two. Not sure if us holding some hogtied and threatened with being slain first if we are attacked has much leverage. It might just rile them up for attack sooner but grabbing 'the Chief's son' might cause him to trade with us peaceably. Do they have any 'get killed by a woman' phobias or shame.

C) Preemptively strike their war-camp as they dance and sit around fires. Surprise attack to hit and run and cause maximum pandemonium and panic before retreating back to wagon circle.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie is fine targeting horses, they are a bigger target, but once close enough you have to go for the Brave.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by jemmus »

Charlie's accurate shot on the prairie dog rings out, startling the tired but jumpy, settlers inside the ring of wagons in the early morning. Campbell squints an eye at him for second, considering, then walks his horse around the circle, calmly and quietly repeating in intervals, Good mornin. Heads of wagons, gather in the middle in five minutes. Remember ta save yer water today. Ya might not see anymore until tomorra night. Remember how much more your horses and mules need. No washing clothes, drink as little as ya can. Charlie and Ezekiel know that settlers in wagon don't normally carry more weighty water than is needed for drinking and cooking until the next stream. Just a crock full.

The men gather in the center of the circle of wagon. As do many boys and some bolder women and girls. A woman with a baby on her hip holds the hand of a little boy of around three.

Campbell says, Good morning everybody, thank ya for coming. Today's Friday, June 12. We're still in Bexar County, north of San Antonio on the road to Fredericksburg, then ta Camp Mason, then ta Camp McKavett ta the west. Then west ta the grassy table land ta claim yer good land and start workin it.

We made it through the night, and now we got to make it through the day, and maybe another day after that. We have ta think about the situation and what we know and make a decision together. What we know is, the Comanches knew where are at sunup. There was 25 of em to the north and south, whoopin and ridin and makin a show. But watchin all the time. And then when daylight come, they rode off and disappeared. To the west.

We also know that Mr. Sykes rode off last night east on a roundabout route toward the town a Fredericksburg and the U.S. Army fort of Camp Mason beyond it. Both of em to the northwest. Gunshots were heard in the night to the east, a few minutes after Mr. Sykes departed. We don't know if the man survived. Or the gunshots to the east were related. I can't how see they hardly couldn't, but the fact is, we don't know.

He pauses and continues. If Mr. Sykes did make it, I'd guess it would be a ride of around 50 miles through the hills for him. So arrivin at Camp Mason around five around 1:00 PM today, with the help of Mr. Charlie's fresh remount horse. The man is now afoot in this circle of wagons. I know y'all appreciate what he done for ya. Their are nods and murmurs of "We shore do," "That's right," "Thank you, sir." and just "Yeah." Campbell continues. If the Army officer gits a cavalry troop inta action right away, they could git here tonight I reckon by around 1:00 or 2:00 in the mornin. But if they do it U.S. Army style and bring supply wagons, infantry, and cannon, my guess is it would be a half a day later. So, after midnight tonight if they come quick, or tomorra Saturday afternoon if they do it regular style.

He pauses again. I have to be straight and honest with all of y'all. The truth is, we don't know if the Army is comin at all. There are uncertainties. We don't know if Mr. Sykes got through. And we don't know what the Army's got at Camp Mason. It may be that they pushed the garrison another 20 mile west inta the frontier, ta McKavett. Or the cavalry companies have been sent out on assignments. It's 50 miles away, they're there and we're here, so there just ain't any way of knowin. And, ain't no way we can water the horses and mules with tha water we got. Much less the cattle and hogs. So, here we decide. Wait. Or move, get strung out, water, and hope it's in flat place like this again where we can circle wagons again and make a kind of fence.

The settlers consider that. A man says, Them's tough biscuits ta chew. I say we turn back to San Antone. It's closer, and the Comanches, Tonkawa and Apaches was driven off from the area a hundred years ago. A man spits in grass and says, That's fine if ya can manage it. Ah sold off everthang ah had and put it on this wagon. There ain't no possibility of turning back. The woman bouncing the baby on her hip and holding the little boy's hand stops, looks at him, and nods her assent. Some of the those around the conference circle murmur their assent.

Another man says, Them's hard choices, I suppose. Wait fer the Army-- bettin on it's even comin-- er make a break fer it strung out along the road. I guess I'd go fer chancin and movin instead a sittin and waiting. A man speaks up in agreement. Yeah. These horses and mules ain't gonna hold til tomorra in this Sun with no water. The cattle and hogs could make it better, cause they don't have no load to pull. Won't be any use gittin ta our land with broken down horses that can't plow er grub out roots. Maybe we move as fast as we can ta the first stream we find and circle up again and wait fer the Army. The other men consider that. One says, It would be perilous, but seems like we don't got much choice. The other men grimly nod.

Campbell says, Well, we may have one thing goin for us. Mr. Ezekiel and Mr. Charlie have proposed ridin on the Comanches and runnin off their horse herd. If they could pull that off, that would no doubt buy us some time. Even if they couldn't, if the Comanches spot em and give chase, that could keep em busy long enough. Problem is, Mr. Charlie doesn't have a horse. I could lend him mine, but one a y'all would need to lend me one a yers so I can scout ahead for water. And open space around it for circlin wagons.

Young James Bledsoe clears his throat and says, Ah'll lend Mr. Charlie my horse. He's a little old, but he can run. And he ain't afraid a hardly nothin. Except he don't like thunder much. I'd ride with ya, if I had a horse. Or, I can ride for Camp Mason, like I offered to last night. A man who is obviously his dad starts to something, but stops and smiles. He seems proud of his son. A man says, Ah'll lend y'all a horse from mah team a four. She's a good bay mare, and better suited fer riding than pullin. So ya can ride yer horse, young Jim Bledsoe.

Campbell says, That's mighty generous of ya both, Mr. Stone and Mr. Bledsoe. Mr. Charlie and Mr. Ezekiel, what do ya say?
PCs

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Will agree. It might be a tough mission, bordering on foolish suicidalness but I prefer try something and then retreat to the wagon circle than just wait things out.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

Charlie

"I think it is the best plan we have. Lets get moving as quickly as we can."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by jemmus »

The man returns with the team horse, a bay mare with a white blaze and white stockings. We call her Queen Bee, Mr. Charlie. Cause she's the queen a tha horse barn. She's smart, but she's got some bad stubborn habits. When ya go ta saddle her, she'll blow out her belly so ya can't cinch tha cinch belt up too tight. Then as ya start ridin, you'll a loose saddle under ya. So what ya gotta do is put yer knee inta her flank while yer doin the cinchin.
Ya might have ta do take a couple a times before ya mount up. Also, she's stubborn about breakin inta faster than walk goin away from the barn. But when ya turn her head back towards tha barn, she'll try ta run away with ya at a trot, lope, even a gallop. Ah suppose she'll consider this wagon train like her barn fer the time bein.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. She'll run under a tree branch and try ta brush a new or unconfident rider off a her back. Ya just have ta let her know yer the boss, not her. Other than that Queen Bee is a fine mare, and a strong and spirited one. She ain't afraid a gunfire, and ah believe ya could even lay a rifle between her ears and she'd hold it steady if y'all were lookin at a enemy like a coyote er wolf. Er even a Comanche and his prairie mustang.

Charlie and Ezekiel note that the horse is saddled with Charlie's saddle and loaded with his canteens, rifle sheath, and saddlebags. Sykes left the man's personal gear for him and apparently borrowed only the horse. Young James Bledsoe of the fast horse trots up and shyly touches his fingertips to his brim to the little group gather around. Well, not a minute ta lose, ah guess. Ah'll be back with the Army, if Mr. Sykes don't got through and don't git here first. His mama stuffs some kind of foodstuff into a saddlebag, her mouth turns down with worry and grief, and she shamefully breaks into weak bawling for her son. He puts spurs to flank, leaps his horse over a wagon tongue, and swiftly gallops toward the hills to the east.

Old trail boss Campbell says, Mr. Ezekiel, Mr. Charlie. Lord willin, this train will several miles up tha road before ya git back. Look fer today's wet chicken and goose droppins. That won't be sign a anybody but this settlers outfit. Not Comanches nor highwaymen travel with walkin barnyard fowl. The old frontier man says with his Sun-narrowed eyes, sunburnt face, touches fingers to his hat brim and nods. He looks up the highway ahead and seems to consider things for a minute. Gentlemen, best of luck ya. And ta all a these people. He squints up the road a second from under his hat. The terrier Mr. Grant begins quick yapping, and his pretty young owner says a hushed Shush, Mr. Grant! You're going to be the death of us'1 You and your barking, you rascal! Hush, you.

Mr. Campbell and the quiet camp hear that on this bright Comanches morning. Campbell draws reins, his horse snorts and steps back, and he looks Charlie and Ezekiel in the eye and says, See ya on up the road, when yer back. Good luck.

Ezekiel and Charlie set out on a course of offensive action against the Comanches. Actions?
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie checks the horses saddle for himself, mounts up and rides. Rifle at the ready.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by Bluetongue »

'Sarge' Ezekiel

Okay, so my understanding is the wagon train are breaking camp and slowly heading for the fort, further along the trail. While a faster rider goes hell for leather to inform the cavalry as a second after Mr Sykes may or may not have made it through.

In the meantime Charlie & I (plus others?) are going to circle around the Comanche camp and strike them by driving away as many horses, thus limiting theur ability to chase down the settlers.

Sarge Ezekiel: Riding (19) [1d20]=3

Ezekiel: Rifle (4): Careful Shot vs Dex 17 [1d20]=6

Sorted then, he mounts up, loads rifle and pistol, tips his hat and spurs his horse into the unknown.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by jemmus »

Bluetongue wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:56 pm 'Sarge' Ezekiel

Okay, so my understanding is the wagon train are breaking camp and slowly heading for the fort, further along the trail. While a faster rider goes hell for leather to inform the cavalry as a second after Mr Sykes may or may not have made it through.
We didn't RP it, but to move things along, young Jim Bledsoe does get permission to ride off toward the Army fort as a backup for Sykes. Yes, the wagon train circle is breaking into a line to make a dash up the road to find a spot with water.

Where do Charlie and Ezekiel look for the Comanche camp? They know that to the Comanche territory is to the west, southwest, a northwest past Camp Mason and McKavett. To the east there are towns and government establishes. Comanches raid there, but it wouldn't make sense for them to set up lodges or big mobile camps there. Comanches pursued Charlie from the west, and rode off that way at sunrise.

How do the PCs look for the Comanche horse herd? FYI, this area is hilly with rock outcroppings. It's grasslands broken by bushes and stands of trees.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Look for the tallest rock outcropping we can find and climb it to get a look.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by jemmus »

Per the rules, that's a perfect situation for an Observation roll.... :)
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Rex »

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”