OPEN RECRUITMENT - Doctor Who:AITaS (limited ed) + Pulp Fantastic

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

OPEN RECRUITMENT - Doctor Who:AITaS (limited ed) + Pulp Fantastic

#1 Post by TheMyth »

Okay, I have never run a game using the VORTEX system, nor played a game using it, but I have been itching to try it for some time! I will try it for a group of at least 2 but no more than 6 (for now).

The basic mechanism is ATTRIBUTE + SKILL +2d6 + mods vs. Target #.

Combat is damage to ATTRIBUTES.

Six attributes are Awareness, Coordination, Ingenuity, Resolve, Presence, and Strength. There are 12 skills that cover about 90% of anything that will come up. Attributes & Skills range in value from 1-6 (3 being human average for an Attribute & working proficiency for a Skill).

Game uses STORY POINTS to affect die rolls, affect plot points, power special abilities, and save your character's butt from certain death.

My idea - a science fantasy game set in the universe created by Doctor Who and its spinoffs. But not just those shows.

(I *love* throwing stuff together, so you just might find a Klingon slugging a Cyberman at some point.)

Players will create ORIGINAL CHARACTERS (or maybe I will make a few pregens). They will have to be action-capable and with a complement of skills. Do not feel confined to the show for inspiration.

(Hey, the show poached Star Trek and Superman, so why shouldn't you?).

Basically: No ordinary shop girls dragged along for the ride. That shop girl might be a powerful psychic. Or a gynoid. Or a genius inventor.

This is the way the game works and my general premise. So, if you want to play The Doctor, this isn't the game for you. Unless you can get by playing a shadow of him called The Professor or John Gallifrey or something.

The rules I own and would use are
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space (limited edition) - the 1.5e rules (I always think of it as 2e, but it apparently is not)

and

Pulp Fantastic, a game using the same iteration of the VORTEX system to provide more rules to reference as a supplement.

As mentioned before, you do not need the rules. There is a clunky online reference to help with character creation, but we could do it together online.

Big note - I AM NOT READY TO START YET. This post is to gauge interest before I waste my time prepping.

Sound interesting? Any questions or suggestions? Post away....
Last edited by TheMyth on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: INTEREST CHECK - Doctor Who:AITaS (limited ed) + Pulp Fantastic

#2 Post by Rex »

I am interested. I don't have the rules.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by cybersavant »

sounds cool - also don't have the rules

are all characters from Earth, or is it possible to be from somewhere else?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Interested and don't have the rules either.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by TheMyth »

Again, no rules necessary.

No knowledge of the show necessary.

Characters can be human or alien, from any time and any place. The only stricture is that the character must fit the rules. (So no gods except weak demigods. Also, anything inspired by the tv show -- in fact, ANY tv show or film or comic or novel or video game -- will have to adapt to the game rules.)

Also, with 3, I will start planning. I'll put in a request for a game thread some time this weekend.

Next question: How often will we post? I can do often (3-4 times per week), but we can go slower if necessary.

I have thought up a (kinda lame) intro scenario to get us used to the rules too.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I can usually keep up with most paces as I am on every weekday and most weekends except during the fall busy season.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm on here at least every day maybe more or less on the weekend depending on what I'm doing. So I should be able to keep up with 3-4 times a week.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by TheMyth »

Rex, cybersavant, and GreyWolfVT:

We have a forum: viewforum.php?f=1532

I will be slowly posting basic Character Generation materials over the next few days.

Any others? Just post here and I will be in touch.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OPEN RECRUITMENT - Doctor Who:AITaS (limited ed) + Pulp Fantastic

#9 Post by TheMyth »

I have three players, and most of the minimal necessary rules posted.

We are finishing character generation and starting play.

If anyone would like to join, now's a good time. Once you have a concept, I can help you through character creation as we brainstorm together.

No previous experience with the game or the tv shows necessary. Think of it as a science fantasy game and be inspired by your favorite work of fiction.

I can take up to 3 more players. (6 total).

Return to “Looking for players or games”