HOUSE OF CARDS - PART 1: [Joe Black & Jim Daniels]

atpollard
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 11:45 AM Pressure Tent near [19] [Joe Black]

#21 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:49 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:12 pm Hey! As I tell my players, "Just chat among yourselves until I can get to you." I promise to not post further until you give the okay...no matter the provocation from anyone. ;)
I just found it amusing ... you were up next anyway [new players delayed the response a bit].

11:45 AM Pressure Tent near [19] [Joe Black]

Olivia laid out several weapons for Joe to choose from:
  • 13 mm Revolver [2.1 kg, Cr 320, 5 shot, 25 cm barrel / 42 cm LOA, 4D6 damage at 31 meter Short Range (6+ to hit)]
  • 13 mm Compact Auto Pistol [1.4 kg, Cr 280, 6 round magazine, 25 cm barrel / 35 cm LOA, 4D6 damage at 31 meter Short Range (6+ to hit)] … comes with 1 extra magazine.
  • 9 mm Backup Auto Pistol [0.8 kg, Cr 160, 7 round magazine, 15 cm barrel / 23 cm LOA, 2D6+1 damage at 15 meter Short Range (6+ to hit)] … comes with 1 extra magazine.
  • 9 mm Derringer [0.7 kg, Cr 35, 2 shot, 15 cm barrel / 20 cm LOA, 2D6+1 damage at 15 meter Short Range (6+ to hit)]
  • A box of 20 rounds of 9 mm ammo costs Cr 12 and weighs 0.3 kg.
  • A box of 20 rounds of 13 mm ammo costs Cr 36 and weighs 0.9 kg.
Joe will peel off 300 cr from his small stack of cash and buy the 9mm Backup Auto Pistol and an extra box of ammo, "When you get a chance you can buy me a beer with the rest." Joe says. The pistol goes in the inner pocket of his jacket as does the box of ammo.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: HOUSE OF CARDS - PART 1: [Joe Black & Jim Daniels]

#22 Post by Eris »

Leitz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 am Jim looked at the trucker who joined them to see if they backed up Brom's statement. If so, he gave Joe an "it's your call" look.
Joe snorts a laugh and says as he takes Brom's hand, "Hell, I got nothing better to do for the next couple of hours. So, you got a deal. Let's get to work!"

Joe climbs into the Exo-skeleton, fiddles with the controls for a few seconds to make sure they are how he remembers them and nods to Brom and then to Jim, "Ready when you are!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Leitz »

Jim grinned, climed up so he could map the crates to their respctive trucks, and gave Joe the best "This one, truck six. Marked Fragile," type of instructions he could. He applied himself with passion, moved with confidence, and spoke with command.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

1:55 PM Warehouse #25 [25] [Joe Black and Jim Daniels]

#24 Post by atpollard »

1:55 PM Warehouse #25 [25] [Joe Black and Jim Daniels]

Joe and Jim made quick work of loading the containers. Daniel’s organizational skills coupled with Black’s ‘dancing’ in that suit like a man on fire, managed to complete four hours of work in two hours … well, technically, in an hour and forty minutes. That left exactly five minutes to wash your hands and travel three buildings over to meet everyone at the Bar [12].

Brom was both impressed and a man of his word. He asked for a moment of your time and invited the two of you for a walk into the Warehouse. He explained that it was his job to know every item in the warehouse and on the trucks - when it arrived, where it came from, where it was stored, when it left and where it was going. He turned down an aisle and stopped in front of a tall rack filled with rolls of cloth. “A new clerk at the General Store [3] screwed up a while ago and messed up the order by a few decimal points. They tried to send it back and tried to sell it, both without any success. It has been here for almost 18 months and they complain every month when I send them the bill for storage. Almost nobody else even knows that it is back here or what it is. Light weight, high strength synthetic fabric. Sort of a specialty item, but somebody must have a use for it. I am confident that you could purchase it at a bargain. If you could find a half-decent offer for it, you could earn a LOT more than four hours loading would pay.”

Brom walked briskly towards another area where Standardized Cargo Containers were stacked up. He scanned the columns and rows searching for a specific number … “There! That one” he pointed to a container one up from the bottom with one more stacked on top of it. “About 3 years ago, that container arrived from the factory [15] full of Vehicular Parts for an order that was to be shipped out. The order was canceled at the last minute and, I suspect, the paperwork on the container was lost when the Factory changed supervisors. I don’t think the factory even knows that it exists, let alone what is in it. That should allow an enterprising individual to purchase it at a discount and resell it at a profit.” Brom shook you hands “I look forward to seeing you gentlemen again when you have the paperwork to claim YOUR merchandise from Warehouse 25.”
[25] (Asst Manager) Brom Yang (Age 28): Cr 7
Below average (2-5) STR; Average (6-8) INT, EDU, SOC; Above average (9-C) DEX, END.
  • Opportunity #1: 50 tonnes of TEXTILES (value Cr 150,000) … purchase Cr 120,000 … contact General Store [3] to purchase; located in Warehouse [25].
  • Opportunity #2: 10 tonnes of MANUFACTURED GOODS (value Cr 100,000) … purchase Cr 95,000 … contact Factory [15] to purchase; located in Warehouse [25]. Note there is a +3 to the SELL price for NI world.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Eris »

Joe takes a handkerchief from the back pocket of his trousers and wipes his brow where sweat has formed and his hands saying, "It gets somewhat warm in that suit."

"Vehicular Parts and Light weight, high strength synthetic fabric, eh? Sounds interesting, but as you say, have to find a buyer to make it worthwhile. I'll see what I, we" he glances at Jim, "Can do about that."

Then he shakes Brom's hand and smiles, "Good doing business with you. Perhaps, we'll see you again shortly."

Once the pair walk away from Brom, Joe turns to Jim and says, "Can we do your repair in 5 minutes? If we can let's go do that, otherwise, come along to the meeting with me and we'll do it after we finish talking over opportunities."

"My two friends are DJ Dawson and Val Meridian. I've known DJ for several years, we worked on ships together." if Joe sees any sort of recognition in Jim's face, he'll add, "Yeah, it's the same family, but DJ is a hard worker and has always been a straight shooter, so I don't hold his family's history against him. Val is his cousin, I don't know her, but DJ vouches for her and she seems competent, so she's got a provisional pass from me."

Joe's eyes harden slightly, but still with a smile on his face, as he adds, " If you're at loose ends on your leave, you might want to come to the meeting I'm having with my friends to discuss business opportunities, anyway, Captain Daniels."

Continuing to walk Joe goes on, "I recognized you from your voice while I was loading those containers, you don't look the same in a different sort of uniform, but I knew I'd heard that command voice before. You were chivying up squad of Marines at the time. On Oxford, if I recall correctly, for them starting a bar fight that they didn't win and then letting themselves get picked up by Shore Patrol."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Leitz »

I WILL EDIT THIS SHORTLY, WE BOTH RESPONDED AT THE SAME TIME.

Jim

"Thank you, Brom, it's good to find a man of his word." Jim's hands had finally gotten somewhat clean, Brom had given him a strong smelling washrag so that Jim didn't mess up the data pad. He shook Brom's hand. "I'll remember that."

- - -

After they left Warehouse #25, Jim looked at Joe. "I know you're pressed for time, but could you spare a few minutes and help me finish the repair I was working on? I don't have any money, even if Brom's intel is good, I can't act on it. Maybe your friends can, and now the truckers know you. Maybe they know places the stuff can be transported to and sold?"

They approached a man in Army dress greens, pulling a cart. Jim looked at the man for a moment, and then broke out in a grin. "Herbie? Really? Army? Herbie? I haven't seen you in years; now I know why. You're looking very sharp today!"

Jim turned to Joe, still grinning broadly. "Joe, this enterprising young man is Herbert Brown. He's a local, and made a name for himself as a young merchant here in The Colony. It looks like he ran off to join the Army for a while. Herbie, meet Joe. He can drive an exoskeleton like you would not believe."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

Eris wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:45 pm Joe takes a handkerchief from the back pocket of his trousers and wipes his brow where sweat has formed and his hands saying, "It gets somewhat warm in that suit."

"Vehicular Parts and Light weight, high strength synthetic fabric, eh? Sounds interesting, but as you say, have to find a buyer to make it worthwhile. I'll see what I, we" he glances at Jim, "Can do about that."

Then he shakes Brom's hand and smiles, "Good doing business with you. Perhaps, we'll see you again shortly."
"Thank you, Brom, it's good to find a man of his word." Jim's hands had finally gotten somewhat clean, Brom had given him a strong smelling washrag so that Jim didn't mess up the data pad. He shook Brom's hand. "I'll remember that."
Eris wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:45 pm Once the pair walk away from Brom, Joe turns to Jim and says, "Can we do your repair in 5 minutes? If we can let's go do that, otherwise, come along to the meeting with me and we'll do it after we finish talking over opportunities."

"My two friends are DJ Dawson and Val Meridian. I've known DJ for several years, we worked on ships together." if Joe sees any sort of recognition in Jim's face, he'll add, "Yeah, it's the same family, but DJ is a hard worker and has always been a straight shooter, so I don't hold his family's history against him. Val is his cousin, I don't know her, but DJ vouches for her and she seems competent, so she's got a provisional pass from me."
"I know you're pressed for time, but it should just be a few minutes. The main thing is getting the compressor in place, that takes two people. I can do the rest on my own." Jim looked at Joe. "I don't have any money, even if Brom's intel is good, I can't act on it. Maybe your friends can, and now the truckers know you. Maybe they know places the stuff can be transported to and sold?"

It was a few steps before he continued. "I know the Dawson reputation, the old man made some stupid choices. I've heard that the current generation is nothing like him but still paying for the sins of an earlier generation. Even the cousins, many of whom I've met. Some were good, some were street trash, and some were worse."

Rolled a 6 to recognize Val by name, I'm going with a "not really".
Eris wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:45 pm Joe's eyes harden slightly, but still with a smile on his face, as he adds, " If you're at loose ends on your leave, you might want to come to the meeting I'm having with my friends to discuss business opportunities, anyway, Captain Daniels."

Continuing to walk Joe goes on, "I recognized you from your voice while I was loading those containers, you don't look the same in a different sort of uniform, but I knew I'd heard that command voice before. You were chivying up squad of Marines at the time. On Oxford, if I recall correctly, for them starting a bar fight that they didn't win and then letting themselves get picked up by Shore Patrol."
Jim noticed Joe's displeasure, and took a deep breath. "I don't know what I've done to anger you, but my list of sins isn't short either. All I can do is ask for your forgiveness. And for the record, the Navy decided I wasn't quite what they wanted in a Captain, either. So, what you see is what I am. How about this; help me with the repair, and then go meet your friends. I'll be here for a little bit longer, and if they want to talk to me, despite who I am, then fine. Otherwise, you all have some business opportunities to explore, and I wish you well."

- - -

Enroute, they approached a man in Army dress greens, pulling a cart. Jim looked at the man for a moment, and then broke out in a grin. "Herbie? Really? Army? Herbie? I haven't seen you in years; now I know why. You're looking very sharp today!"

Jim turned to Joe, still grinning broadly. "Joe, this enterprising young man is Herbert Brown. He's a local, and made a name for himself as a young merchant here in The Colony. It looks like he ran off to join the Army for a while. Herbie, meet Joe. He can drive an exoskeleton like you would not believe."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Eris »

Leitz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:14 pm Jim noticed Joe's displeasure, and took a deep breath. "I don't know what I've done to anger you, but my list of sins isn't short either. All I can do is ask for your forgiveness. And for the record, the Navy decided I wasn't quite what they wanted in a Captain, either. So, what you see is what I am. How about this; help me with the repair, and then go meet your friends. I'll be here for a little bit longer, and if they want to talk to me, despite who I am, then fine. Otherwise, you all have some business opportunities to explore, and I wish you well."
"I think you cost me a few thousand credits a year or so ago, but also hardened my resolve to quit the Merchant Marine." Joe says, "I can forgive the former because of the latter. I don't hold grudges." Joe shrugs, "Let's go take a look at that part that needs repair."

So, you're out of the Navy, huh? Any idea what you're going to do with the rest of your life?"

- - -
Enroute, they approached a man in Army dress greens, pulling a cart. Jim looked at the man for a moment, and then broke out in a grin. "Herbie? Really? Army? Herbie? I haven't seen you in years; now I know why. You're looking very sharp today!"

"Herbie, pleased to meet you." Joe shakes Herbie's hand, "Always good to meet another enterprising young merchant type. Are you looking for business opportunities?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

Eris wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:15 pm "I think you cost me a few thousand credits a year or so ago, but also hardened my resolve to quit the Merchant Marine." Joe says, "I can forgive the former because of the latter. I don't hold grudges." Joe shrugs, "Let's go take a look at that part that needs repair."

So, you're out of the Navy, huh? Any idea what you're going to do with the rest of your life?"
Jim grinned sadly, and then shrugged. "I cost the Navy a heavily armed light destroyer, the Shogunate lost their seventh in line to the throne, and my career was all done but the paperwork. It was a banner day."

The mongrel dog that trotted beside Jim sniffed the ground and the air as they walked. Her steps were lively and non-recriminating. "Now I go from day to day. Sometimes I meet people I have to apologize to, and sometimes people help me out. My social secretary will remind me shortly that supper would be a nice thing, but I've stayed at a friend's place long enough. Time for us to move on."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by atpollard »

OOC: I will leave the individual "Part 1" threads unlocked for a while in case there is anything you want to do BEFORE 2 PM. After 2 PM, there is a new thread for House of cards - Part 2 where the group is back together.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”