Starport Bar (OOC Chat Area)

Hvalreki
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Starport Bar (OOC Chat Area)

#41 Post by Thumper »

AleBelly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm As above... he can still use a Blade, but at the penalty for not meeting minimum Str. Without looking I believe that DM is -1; when taken with his DM of +4 for skill, Piotr is still quite deadly with a Blade.
Ah! The Dagger/Blade/Bayonet discussion. I’ll say this is a question that Hvalreki needs to rule on.

Unlike Mongoose Traveller (in which weapon skills are for families of weapons) CT weapon skills are for specific weapons. That said, an unattached Bayonet can be used with Blade or Dagger skills…leading many people to interepret the rules as Blades & Daggers are the same skill. (see Bayonet weapon description).

Again, the Referee will have to rule on this, as it’s not real clear in the text.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Eris »

AleBelly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm So, I was looking at the weapons table in the rules. If I'm reading this right, with a STR of 4 poor Piotr can't handle any guns and can really only use a dagger, right? I'm fine with that and think it could be fun to roleplay, but just wanted to make sure this was the case as I start putting equipment together.
Wait! Have I always been reading this wrong? From my reading (well, I'll admit I haven't gone back and actually looked at the book on this lately) STR isn't important for guns, just melee weapons. It's DEX that you need for guns.

In addition, if you don't have the Required STR you can still use the weapon, but you have a -DM, same for guns with DEX you can use them, but have a -DM. If you have high enough STR or DEX you get a +DM, between (I think it's called) Required and Advantaged you get neither + or - DM.

Isn't this correct?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Eris »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 pm
Wait! Have I always been reading this wrong? From my reading (well, I'll admit I haven't gone back and actually looked at the book on this lately) STR isn't important for guns, just melee weapons. It's DEX that you need for guns.

In addition, if you don't have the Required STR you can still use the weapon, but you have a -DM, same for guns with DEX you can use them, but have a -DM. If you have high enough STR or DEX you get a +DM, between (I think it's called) Required and Advantaged you get neither + or - DM.

Isn't this correct?
So, I just pulled up a pdf of The Traveller Book and I'm correct. Selected quotes
The Traveller Book wrote:Strength: The efficiency of various blows and swings
(but not of shots) is dependent on personal strength. The weapons table indicates both a required strength level and an advantageous strength level for all blade and brawling
weapons. A character using a specific weapon who does not have strength equal to or greater than the required strength level for that weapon is subject to the negative DM (applied
to the basic throw to hit) stated in the weapons table. For example, a character with strength 5 does not meet the required strength of 7 for the cutlass, and if using that weapon is subject to a DM of -2.

A character of great strength, equal to or greater than the advantageous strength level stated for a specific weapon being used, is eligible for a positive DM (applied to the basic throw to hit) given in the table. For example, a character with strength 11 or greater is allowed a DM of +2 when
using the cutlass.

Dexterity: The accuracy of shots is dependent on the dexterity of the character firing the weapon. In a manner similar to the effect of strength on swings and blows, the weapons table indicates the required and advantageous dexterity levels for guns, and shows the positive and negative DMs which should be applied to the basic throw to hit.

Endurance: The number of blows and swings which may be made, and their impact, is dependent on endurance. Shots are unaffected by endurance, and an individual may
make as many shots as ammunition is available. For this purpose, all blows and swings may be classed into one of four classes: surprise, combat, weakened, and special.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by AleBelly »

Got it. Piotr's dex sucks too, but I'm glad to know the rules. I will buy his equipment tomorrow.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Eris »

Thumper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:46 pm Ah! The Dagger/Blade/Bayonet discussion. I’ll say this is a question that Hvalreki needs to rule on.

Unlike Mongoose Traveller (in which weapon skills are for families of weapons) CT weapon skills are for specific weapons. That said, an unattached Bayonet can be used with Blade or Dagger skills…leading many people to interepret the rules as Blades & Daggers are the same skill. (see Bayonet weapon description).

Again, the Referee will have to rule on this, as it’s not real clear in the text.
I think of Blade as being a honking big knife (Crocodile Dundee/Jim Bowie), Bayonet as a small sword you can attach to a stick, and dagger as a thin bladed shiv perfect for thrusting between ribs, armor links, or plate. :)

Looking in The Traveller Book all three have different stats...and it looks like Bayonet has the advantage in To Hit (except against Cbt Armor), Damage (3d vs 2d), is cheaper, and is equal to Blade STR needed. Seems like dagger's only advantage is it might be easier to hide.

In the past, I've always ignored the bayonet PCs (mine and others) always took Blade or Dagger. That might have been a mistake.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

And Old Man…Colonel Hannibal. Why don't you just stand a little to the left…that’s right…good Colonel dude…ah, block the sun in my eyes.
Ty ought to remind himself that 'old man' Schmidt is half a term younger than he.

Colonel (retired) Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt, takes a seat at the table, biting the flip top off a bottle of vintage ale. He is casually dressed in his 'urban wear', pressed and creased to uniform standards still despite his civilian status. He must have a travel bag somewhere unless we are literally meeting up with boarding as the next action.

He waits patiently for other crew to arrive and 'the Plan' to come together.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by TheMyth »

I knew I saw a pic online!

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by TheMyth »

Btw,other players....

How much cash-on-hand should we carry with us? Like 5000cr?
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Thumper »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:19 pm
Looking in The Traveller Book all three have different stats...and it looks like Bayonet has the advantage in To Hit (except against Cbt Armor), Damage (3d vs 2d), is cheaper, and is equal to Blade STR needed. Seems like dagger's only advantage is it might be easier to hide.

In the past, I've always ignored the bayonet PCs (mine and others) always took Blade or Dagger. That might have been a mistake.
The Bayonet skill and weapon stat is used when the weapon is attached to a rifle only. When detached, it is a dagger stat using dagger or blade skill. This is an important distinction: detached vs attached. The detached language is the cause for the discussion.

From the book:
Bayonet (250 grams; Cr10; TL 3): A knife·like weapon similar to a dagger or blade. When not attached to a rifle, a bayonet is treated as a dagger (or blade), carried in a belt scabbard, and requires dagger (or blade) skill for use to advantage. When attached to the muzzle of a rifle (only, not carbine or auto rifle). it transforms the gun into a polearm, and increases the length of the arm by 200mm.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by AleBelly »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:58 pm Btw,other players....

How much cash-on-hand should we carry with us? Like 5000cr?
Piotr is bringing all he has. Will probably end up being around 9-10 thousand credits after he buys equipment.

His parents were refugees and didn’t trust banks. Neither does he. Never had much money anyway.
Last edited by AleBelly on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Thumper »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 pm
Ty ought to remind himself that 'old man' Schmidt is half a term younger than he.
Perhaps Hannibal should do the reminding! … 😁😁😁
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Hvalreki »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:39 am So, amidst my rpg files, I discovered an abridged version of Classic Traveller called "The Starter Edition." From what I can ascertain, this was a freebie from GDW a few years back and duplicates the most used Traveller rules.

Long story short... I have the rules now! Lol

So, Hvalreki....are we a pro-Psionics gaming group or are they verboten?
The Imperium populace at large generally has a dim view of psionics given the difficulties (and several shooting wars) with their neighbors "The Joes" (Zhodani), who are governed by psionic Nobility.

There are rumors of Psionic Institutes that can be sought out to provide training. It should be noted that untrained latent ability fades over time so generally the younger one begins the better.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Hvalreki »

AleBelly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:17 pm Thanks for the perspective, Thumper. I've never played before, so I guess I was a bit naive. But still will be fun to play! Piotr will be a bit of a bad ass in the turret but can only wield a dagger in combat. To me that's hilarious.
You might want to rethink that a bit. Travellers do not suffer the automatic -5 penalty for being untrained in a specific weapon unlike the rest of humanity. Essentially Travellers have skill 0 in all weapons, that's kind of badass. I'm forgetting I have some completely new to Traveller players. I'll put some combat basics into the Library Data.

Last edited by Hvalreki on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Hvalreki »

Thumper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:46 pm
AleBelly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm As above... he can still use a Blade, but at the penalty for not meeting minimum Str. Without looking I believe that DM is -1; when taken with his DM of +4 for skill, Piotr is still quite deadly with a Blade.
Ah! The Dagger/Blade/Bayonet discussion. I’ll say this is a question that Hvalreki needs to rule on.

Classic Traveller skills are particular to the weapon. However, as mentioned in my answer to Alebelly, Travellers do not suffer the -5 penalty for being untrained in a weapon, which is essentially skill level 0 for all weapons. If you want to pick up that pike, then pike away my friend (still subject to characteristic modifiers, range, armor, cover, etc).
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Thumper »

When all else fails close range and assault into the ambush, that's actual military doctrine. If you stay where you are, you're going to die.
Sounds like one who’s been there. Next step, call in a B-1 for massive overwhelming CAS support!

BTW: the Bronze Star can only be earned during combat action.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by TheMyth »

Hvalreki wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:33 am
TheMyth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:50 pm I need to do equipment too.

Any tech level limits?
Everyone can spend up to 2,000 credits pregame
Tech Level 12, max weight total for all equipment is 10Kg

Everyone assumed to have a spacer "kit bag" which contains several changes of civilian clothes, track shoes, field boots, toiletries, company field cap, work gloves, sunglasses, and a company field jacket. The kit bag is not counted against the 10KG gear limit.

Also as a reminder everyone needs to decide how much of their mustering credits they will bring with them in cash vs safely in the bank but far far away and difficult to access (think months of game time for a wire transfer to arrive).
Just for clarification...

Is the 2000 credits a freebie? Or taken off our Mustering Out benefits?
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by TheMyth »

Hvalreki wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:54 am
TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:39 am So, amidst my rpg files, I discovered an abridged version of Classic Traveller called "The Starter Edition." From what I can ascertain, this was a freebie from GDW a few years back and duplicates the most used Traveller rules.

Long story short... I have the rules now! Lol

So, Hvalreki....are we a pro-Psionics gaming group or are they verboten?
The Imperium populace at large generally has a dim view of psionics given the difficulties and (and several shooting wars) with their neighbors "The Joes" (Zhodani), who are governed by psionic Nobility.

There are rumors of Psionic Institutes that can be sought out to provide training. It should be noted that untrained latent ability fades over time so generally the younger one begins the better.
...which is why a 26yo (with only a -2 to potential PSR) is a good candidate for future psionic training. :SAN:
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Hvalreki »

TheMyth wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:33 am

Just for clarification...

Is the 2000 credits a freebie? Or taken off our Mustering Out benefits?
No free lunches :D - the 2K limit is from your initial MOB.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Thumper »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:06 pm
Are we using Connections for increasing Skills?
Self-Improvement rules in Classic Traveller. Those rules (with slight Referee modification) were posted as House Rules #3.

viewtopic.php?p=690190#p690190
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Spearmint »

Perhaps we need a forum for Players ooc strategy and planning. Deciding between us what characters focus on, who's lead to follow in certain situations, prioritising avenues of investigation.

For example, Schmidt might want to follow up on the two crewmen who died as they are the only tangible link to the ship so far.

Return to “Repo Men (Classic Traveller)”