Interest Check -- Shadows In the Dark [Shadowdark]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Interest Check -- Shadows In the Dark [Shadowdark]

#1 Post by Eris »

I am willing to set up and run a game using Shadowdark RPG if I can get 3 or 4 interested players.
  • Rules: Shadowdark RPG (the free Quick Start Rules are preferred to start) with minor modifications to help with PBP format, for example:
    • Light can't be tied to real time, so something else
    • Luck rolls called after action doubles posts, so you'll need to call for its, conditional, use in advance
    • Rolls mostly done by GM to speed things along
    • Max HP + Con Mod at first level, normal rolled HP after that
    • Encumbrance will be Str Mod + 10 slots, minimum = 10
  • PCs Ancestry [Human, Elf, Dwarf, or Halfling]
  • PCs Class [Fighter, Cleric, Mage, or Thief]
  • PCs Alignment [Lawful or Neutral...no Chaotic]
  • PCs start start at Level 1.
  • Setting: D&D style fantasy with an unknown map.
  • Style: Sandbox with lots of hex and dungeon crawling, but also lots of hack and slash.
  • Rating: PG for violence and language, sometimes dark and gritty, but with elements of humor.
  • Posting Rate: Twice a week, more during combat, but I'll strive to not leave anyone behind who can't do more than 2/wk.
-----
Elevator Pitch:
You have just arrived in the small town of Mecklingburg, a figurative island of safety in a sea of unknown danger. Outside the town, and over the nearby wall, there is the great unknown land of Tor. You are from a land far from here and know nothing about Tor, except what you've been told: Tor is filled with monsters, but also with treasures from ancient civilizations. It is a place where you will find adventure and riches, but also can bring you danger and death.

Well, the ship left you at the docks with far to little gold to book passage back home, or anywhere else. It's here you'll make your fortune, roll back the darkness, carve out your destiny...or die trying!

Standing in the Dirty Ditch tavern with a mug of ale in your hand you spy a few folk you met on the ship. They look as lost as you feel. Maybe if you team up you can take one of the jobs posted on the wall, earn a little coin, and get started with your life of adventure.
Last edited by Eris on Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest Check -- Shadows In the Dark [Shadowdark]

#2 Post by shaidar »

I'm in.

I'd like to give Wendel the Wizard another chance to shine.

Odin One Eye
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Odin One Eye »

I am interested too.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

That's two shaidar and Odin One Eye Balrog. We need one or two more expressing interest before I bother the Admins about getting a Forum.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Edeldhur »

I would be interested in participating, but two posts a week for me unfortunately is too slow as a posting rate. Wish you luck with the game!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Glad to join.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

Edeldhur wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:15 pm I would be interested in participating, but two posts a week for me unfortunately is too slow as a posting rate. Wish you luck with the game!
The posting rate will be higher if the players post more often. I'd like to say I'd like to say once a day, or twice a day, but that will scare some people off as too fast, too. It's a tough balance to go just as fast as the group wants to go.

I can only say, "I'll try to keep things moving as fast as possible without leaving players behind."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:08 pm Glad to join.
Okay! Good news! That makes 3 who have said they'd like to play some Shadowdark [almost typed Shadowrun there. :)].

I'll ask for a forum and see about setting things up!

I hope we get a few more folks to jump in. The more the merrier!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Eris »

That's two shaidar and Odin One Eye Balrog. We need one or two more expressing interest before I bother the Admins about getting a Forum.

Okay, I think we can try to get this game started. So far we have shaidar, Balrog and Marullus saying the will play. Edeldhur expressed interest, but wants a faster posting rate than twice a week (that's a good thing actually), but we'll see.

Anyway, I said 3 or 4 and I'll move forward. It looks like we have 3, so let's move forward.

I'd still love to a few more folks to join!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Yeah! We have a group. Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark) is now open for business.

Shaidar, Balrog, and Marullus, you have been added to the forum. I've got a couple of topics already on the forum: an OOC topic started where we can introduce ourselves and chat, and a Character Creation topic where we can work out PCs.

Lots of openings for more folks to join. Just let me know you want in.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I will throw my hat in. I was waiting to give others a chance but since you seem to have plent of room I am in.

Here is my previous shadowdark characters we never got to run or I can make a new one. Your call. The goblin is not very good but the dwarf is better.

viewtopic.php?p=663284#p663284

viewtopic.php?p=663288#p663288

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Eris »

Rex wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:39 pm I will throw my hat in. I was waiting to give others a chance but since you seem to have plent of room I am in.

Here is my previous shadowdark characters we never got to run or I can make a new one. Your call. The goblin is not very good but the dwarf is better.

viewtopic.php?p=663284#p663284

viewtopic.php?p=663288#p663288
Great! I'll add you to the game list!

You can use your Dwarf, I'm not allowing Goblins or Half-Orcs (unless I get talked into it by the player :) for this game). You will want to create a second character as a backup...maybe something else if I can do some West Marches type things. :)

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Enoch »

If there's still room for more, I'd be willing to join!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Eris »

Enoch wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:47 pm If there's still room for more, I'd be willing to join!
You bet! We are still open for new players.

I'll happily add you to the list. In fact, I'll go do that now, if you decide to not play let me know and I'll drop you back off.

You can use the free Quickstart Player's Guide if you don't have it. The PC's are on an adventure at the moment, but there are a number of ways I can work in more PC's. Even start a different party in this world if enough folks want to join in.

1. Read the material on the Shadows in the Dark forum.
2. Make up a one or two 1st level Shadowdark character(s) with the following constraints:
  • Ancestry may be human, dwarf, elf, or halfling;
  • Class may be fighter, priest, wizard, thief, ranger or bard (maybe others later, but I'd prefer to keep it to F/P/W/T for now)
  • Alignment only Good or Neutral
  • full die +/- CON for 1st level HP (roll after that)
2. Make sure you roll a Background as I'm trying to use those in play.
3. Equip your PC.
4. Post your character sheet in the forum.
5. I'll figure out a way to work your PC into the game.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

axis57
Strider
Strider

#15 Post by axis57 »

Hi, there! If you are still taking new players I'd definitely be interested. New to the forum but not new to OSR or PbP.

axis57
Strider
Strider

#16 Post by axis57 »

Hi, Eris. Replying here because it looks like I'm not approved for private messages yet or maybe I'm just dumb and couldn't find the reply button. I think option 3 sounds best. I will make a character, unless you prefer to do ability gen for players. Lmk. Thanks!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

Hi there axis57! Sorry, folks can post without delay and PM only after two Mod approved posts :)
You should be good to go now!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Eris »

axis57 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 pm Hi, Eris. Replying here because it looks like I'm not approved for private messages yet or maybe I'm just dumb and couldn't find the reply button. I think option 3 sounds best. I will make a character, unless you prefer to do ability gen for players. Lmk. Thanks!
Hey Axis57! You ran into the 2 post Mod rule, but I think that's cleared up now. IAC, sure, make a character. I will go add you to the game list right now! :)

I won't say *always*, but there's almost always room for more players!

In this game of Shadowdark we're using the following Classes: Fighter, Priest, Wizard, Thief, Ranger and Bard, and the following Ancestry/Races: human, dwarf, elf, or halfling. Everyone is Neutral or Good. First Level you get full die HP+Con mod, roll the die after that.

I will go add you to the game list right now! :)

Eris,
Old Coot & Traveller Heretic
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Looking for players or games”