Players who refuse to update characters

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Players who refuse to update characters

#1 Post by TheMyth »

I'd love some ideas of what other referees do when pbp players refuse to update character sheets.

Tracking ammo and rations can be a drudge, and I can easily handwave those.

I have a problem when it's something big ... like a player acquires a magic sword or magic armor. I tell the players to update their sheets. I remind them. I even mentioned that, if they don't update, then those factors don't apply in combat...or the item will just go missing at some point.

They also never remove stuff they use. Again, torches? Not a big deal. But if you deliberately throw the character's shield off a cliff (for example), it's gone!

They just don't seem to care. I was also once told it was my responsibility to track player treasure, not the players. Anyone else encounter this? Any suggestions?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Players who refuse to update characters

#2 Post by Leitz »

I can't imagine telling a DM to track my PC's treasure, although I'll happily ask for a review, in case my math got a bit liberal. I've been known to us spreadsheets for domain expenses and CSV files for NPC tracking. Hmmm...I need to update some henchman in scarik's game, it might be time for a CSV file for them.

Yeah, if they forget that +5 vorpal, it just loses its interest in lopping off heads.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

If it isn't on the sheet they don't have it. Like Leitz, I will admit to an occasional error myself but I do try to note everything on my sheet and keep it up to date. Not much else you can do. Some games tracking rations and what not is more important than others. One of those things it is important to establish up front. I have run games in the past (all FTF) where tracking every item was very important, but not recently.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

As a player, if I get magic items...I'm definitely making sure I put that on my sheet!

I played in one of Inferno's games where we all turned into werewolves. As a result, we left all our gear behind and miles away from where we returned to human form. Since we did not have any of our stuff, I notated each of my possessions as lost on the inventory screen in the event we would find it again. I admit, however, that I am not very good at updating my characters' hit points on the sheet when I have DMs who track it in their updates.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I am really bad about keeping up on hp. When I started PBP I was pretty good but over time the DM's were doing it anyway and I got sloppy, which is not a good thing but is what it is.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by TheMyth »

Okay, I'm getting the impression I do not have a crazy expectation then.

Hit points shift...I think a referee SHOULD track them.... But, say, LEVELLING UP, a player should update their own sheet and change max hit points, right? I mean, isn't that part of the joy of gaming?

I never have trouble doing this stuff when I'm the player.

Btw, I haven't had this issue on UnseenServant. (Yet?) Lol

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Yes, I was referring to current hp. I update my sheet for leveling up, it seems insane not to. Another area I have seen issues is xp. Counting the 10% bonus errors. That sort of thing. Spearmint does a nice job of it with a dedicated post he updates with everyone's xp on it. Saves on some of the confusion.

viewtopic.php?p=640814#p640814

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

I expect players to edit and update character sheets. It is especially important for details such as attack matrices, Saving Throws, ongoing magical effects, boons and penalties.

I keep a general record for my players. I don't worry so much to encumber every coin and am fine with folk having sufficient basic expedition supplies within a team not to worry about a torch flickering out unless a scene has definite limited resources and lack of light/increase of danger is a definite scenario challenge.

I see players who don't update sheets as players not invested in their character and by default, not invested in the game.

I generally start with max hp at first level and then players roll using a campaign id linked sheet so that transparency for players and myself as GM is available to all and no fudging occurs.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

TheMyth wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:12 am I'd love some ideas of what other referees do when pbp players refuse to update character sheets.
In games I run, I actually keep a note of important details (e.g. experience points, treasure obtained, etc...) and let the players know in advance that my records are fact, unless they can prove otherwise.

I keep my receipts. It's up to them to keep theirs; and use theirs to disprove mine.

It's never been an issue (that I can remember), but it's the easiest solution for myself, when running a game, since there are so many other details I also need to keep track of.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by gurusql »

I find that there are some players that do update their sheet and some that do not. I do keep records since I have witnessed limited use items trying to get used to many times and magic items that were just left behind. I track hit points and running spells on the main posts since I find that simpler than hoping the player tracked those things.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#11 Post by Scott308 »

I definitely make sure to level up my character when necessary. I do appreciate when the DM keeps track of spell slots for us- and here's why. On more than one occasion, I posted for my character and cast a spell as part of my update. I removed the spell on my sheet, but then in the DM post, something happened that resulted in my character not actually casting the spell, but I forgot to go back and adjust the sheet. I have also had the opposite problem where I do not remove it in advance then forget to do so after the DM resolves the round.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

I think most errors with spells and hp are just slip ups. Anyone who has played a while have done it. Intentionally not tracking inventory is the big one that I think is just laziness.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by cybersavant »

Scott308 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:18 pm I definitely make sure to level up my character when necessary. I do appreciate when the DM keeps track of spell slots for us- and here's why. On more than one occasion, I posted for my character and cast a spell as part of my update. I removed the spell on my sheet, but then in the DM post, something happened that resulted in my character not actually casting the spell, but I forgot to go back and adjust the sheet. I have also had the opposite problem where I do not remove it in advance then forget to do so after the DM resolves the round.
In pbp, because of the stretched out nature, i tend to avoid characters with tracked stats, like spells. I also don't track xp for my chars, as i rely on GM to inform us when we level up - if i don't level up, that's fine - i'm in it for the story and interactions anyway. I like sites where the character sheets are in separate areas - i can keep them open in a tab and just refer back and forth rather than switch over to another subforum in the game. Also easier to update in those cases.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Return to “Tips for the DM”