General Chatter

sulldawga
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: General Chatter

#421 Post by Marullus »

You were successful and it was greatly enjoyed. :)

Point-crawl vs Hex-crawl is tough to noodle out, particularly in PbP. I thought you worked through and handled it well, and was pleased as a player with where you landed. That's a separate issue from WWN. You did a great job with WWN in my opinion and pulled in a lot of rules I hadn't noodled through yet, and made them elegantly simple. Without tactical maps, positioning caused some challenges, so that's a lesson learned. There's stuff that goes by range and reach and that requires either a map or clarity in narrative, and that gets confusing. Overall, two thumbs up!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#422 Post by sulldawga »

I need to do a better job of defining distances in combat situations. The rules don't really spell it out in one place but useful for me to share with the party so you all understand simple distances like

5 feet is melee range
10 feet is melee range with a Long weapon.
30 feet is close enough to reach Melee range with a Move action
60 feet is close enough for a Charge action
Plus the various Short and Long ranges for thrown/ranged weapons

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Rex »

I think you did fine with the game as a whole and your descriptions and would gladly play in another game of yours no matter the rules. I gave the rules a chance but like many of the newer attempts they just make things more complicated then need be, that said I would play them again if that is your decision, in spite of the rules because I think you did a great job in spite of the rules. But, I am more of an old school gamer where it isn't about the rules but having fun. If I want complicated rules I am going for a more simulations rule set and going all in. HarnMaster is my choice here but there are several similar sets of rules that also work just fine too.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by sulldawga »

I like how Harn tries to be as realistic as possible. I've bought a few of their books just to read them and steal ideas for my games. Unfortunately, I have never even played in a Harn game, never mind ran one. So I don't think Harn will be my next choice for a rules system.

For that same reason, I won't be running a CWN game. I have never played in a cyberpunk game so I don't want to be the GM my first time.

Still leaning toward either another pointcrawl or a sci-fi sandbox game. I guess an oceancrawl is also still in play.

I've recently been toying with the idea of trying a system-less game, where players describe what their PCs want to do and I use something like Mythic GME to resolve it. I might see if there's interest to try it for a month and see how it goes. The players have to have a lot of faith in the GM's ability to be a neutral arbiter...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by Rex »

If interested in seeing a Harn game i am running one on here. Feel free to read through whatever. I will be recruiting shortly as we are just coming off my busy season break in play. They are about to go on a monster hunt with a baron.

I would be interested in trying out a ruleless game if you decide to go that way.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by sulldawga »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:18 pm If interested in seeing a Harn game i am running one on here. Feel free to read through whatever. I will be recruiting shortly as we are just coming off my busy season break in play. They are about to go on a monster hunt with a baron.

I would be interested in trying out a ruleless game if you decide to go that way.
Turns out of all the Harn books I own, I never bought the actual rules. Which version do you use? I don't know if I'd want to play but I'm curious to see how complicated they are.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by Rex »

We are using the Third Edition.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#428 Post by Marullus »

...I actually just dropped a bunch on Harn books with their Azademere (dwarfhome) expansion in Kickstarter and all the third edition rules and suppliments with it. I had never seen Harn before, but have recently been enjoying the Harnworld MUD, which codedly implements Harnmaster rules.

If anyone starts a Harn game on here, I'd be interested in trying out the book version of it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#429 Post by Rex »

I am currently running a book version on here. Just coming of of a break from my very busy fall schedule. I will be posting a recruitment post soon. You can look the game over if you want an idea. I have been running it as my primary game since 92 and sastaz is a player and has been playing Harn just as long I think.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Rex »

I was on my phone earlier so limited but here is a link to my game.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=1285

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by sulldawga »

Do any of you have any interest in running a short (couple of weeks) test of a freeform rule-free game?

I want to see how difficult it would be from my perspective.

I am also interested in this type of game: https://undergroundadv.blogspot.com/202 ... ombat.html

EDIT: If you are interested, tell me what level you want to start at. I am thinking of having each player tell me one thing their character is good at. For each "level" the PC has, the player can add another sentence describing another thing the PC is good at.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Rex »

I am up for giving it a try. I am back to work Wednesday night, but will be checking in daily.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by sulldawga »

I am going to get started with Rex's Harn game and then see how much free time I have for running another game.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by sulldawga »

Just in case any of my former players are still watching this thread, I am going to start a new game in a few weeks using the 5e Basic Rules. I am sorry if you were hoping for another game using the WWN rules but I simply don't want to use them. It wouldn't have been fun for me.

I have no idea if 5e will be any more fun but I'm hoping that limiting folks to the Basic Rules only will make a difference. You all are welcome to play. We have six already but A. I have no problem running two games and B. it's PbP, people drop out all the time.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by Marullus »

I always love WWN rules, but don't mind the switch. :) 5e is fine.

I think I can handle another game as a player. Sign me up.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:35 pm I always love WWN rules, but don't mind the switch. :) 5e is fine.

I think I can handle another game as a player. Sign me up.
viewtopic.php?t=13198

Check out the thread to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”