7th Sea OO Sea

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 7th Sea OO Sea

#81 Post by Leitz »

I have no idea how you keep Barrowmaze running so well, with so many adventurers. As far as I can tell, you hold the record for highest simultaneous player count in one campaign.

7th Sea ship rules are similar to character rules. You could run the ship as the PC and have the crew on as followers and henchmen.

What I really like about 7th Sea is that it handles physical and social challenges. It doesn't do magic well at all, that's part of why I chose a non-magical setting.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:10 pm I like the mechanics, but I don't know how long I could keep much melodramatics going :)

While I love 1e and 2e, lately I am in the mood to try lighter, more 'flexible', systems.
Yeah, the drama is core to 7th Sea. If you want something lighter, look at scarik's BX/Chainmail game.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Spearmint »

I have no idea how you keep Barrowmaze running so well, with so many adventurers. As far as I can tell, you hold the record for highest simultaneous player count in one campaign.
We presently have thirty-four characters spread across nine concurrent expeditions in urban, wilderness and dungeon settings.

Nothing on the sea yet. I think the 7th Sea cinematics could be improved if it was trimmed to basics. So for example your hero in any sequence gets to make action with his feet, his hands, his mouth and his head, effective translated as Movement (feet) sword melee/pick lock/fire cannon or pistol, use tool (hands), Speech, give orders, cast spell, taunt foe (mouth) and observe, solve problem, gain insight, knowledge, tactics (head).

You then need a singe dice or one set of pooled dice to resolve how effective each of those actions are. Maybe a [_5d10] to include any initiative.

So each action has a TN, say 5+ to succeed with a raise a Raise bonus at 9+ and Exploding 10's. Then you can resolve when a character acts; how far he moves, jumps to the chandelier, climbs the mast, swings on a rope; his swashbuckling attack and damage rolls in combat; giving orders, wooing the damsel, casting a spell; observes the wind change, mysterious stranger, see the pickpocket.

So something like this:

Blue John: cinematics [_5d10]=(6+1+4+4+8)=23

Could get resolved as:

So acting quickly (6) BJ tries to climb the mast to get to the Crow's Nest, failing (1) as the ship movement buffets him about and he loses his footing. He shoots at the pirate with his pistol, (4) missing, the bullet ricocheting off the ship's bell, he rallies his comrades to charge the bridge (4) but they mistake his gesture as he points towards the cannons and finally he notes the Kraken emerging on the port side and understands it seeks to grab at the captive damsel held in the Captain's berth below decks.(8)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by jemmus »

Wow, 34 players. :shock:
Have you guys tried a pooled dice system in PBP, and if so, how did it work? I've considered running a Conan: An Age Undreamed Of game. But it has a shared Momentum points system that might be too cumbersome for PBP.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Leitz »

If Blue John accepts the job offer, then the PCs can choose whichever course of action they prefer. The pirate captain will honor her bargain, and maybe one day we'll pick this up again.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Leitz »

Hey guys, I was asked if this is done, and I think so. Right now I don't have the time to run a game, and building a campaign is even more time. No idea what the future will hold, but here are some things to think about down the road.

As shaidar noted, posting over the top scenes can take a lot of work. They are not required all the time; it depends on the player, the character, and the situation. I'm personally a more reserved player, with occasional episodes of drama. As a DM, I also appreciate those historical tidbits.

While Jean-Jacques may not be the embodiment of piratry, I commend to you the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" as an example of what a non-conformist can achieve. You came up with creative solutions, and only the bother of real life kept you from doing more.

Blue John's actions we fun to watch, they made it easier to run things as a DM. Especially with 7th Sea, the DM riffs off the players and finds inspiration in their actions.

I'm very open to your thoughts, feedback, and critique.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by jemmus »

Thanks brother Leitz, for introducing a test of an RPG rules system and hosting in it as another holiday wonder. I liked the 7 Seas system itself. Really good for cinematics and player input, I thought, All other players did much better than I did. o7 Sorry, GM and bros :)
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by shaidar »

Thanks Leitz!

Return to “7th Sea (R&K)”