0003 The Trail and Trials

Eris
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 0003 The Trail and Trials

#41 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:37 pm "We can probably get away with a small fire in the corner of the cross of the two fallen trees, enough for hot water, i would love fish, but I would not want thise smells crossing the river. What say you all?

Looks around..

"One watch each, about 3 hours.

Malbec
"I will take the middle watch," Aislin says. "I don't require much sleep. I think we can risk a small fire." She sets about gathering wood for the fire.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Eris »

The party makes a small fire and take turns on watch through the night. There is rustling in the dark, from time to time, sometimes large animals moving about, but nothing comes into camp to bother you as the night passes.

The morning breaks cool and clear. It is mostly downhill all the way today and you should be in Old Bridge by noon.

After several hours of march you finally crest the last hill and look down on the river valley.

A small town surrounded by a stone wall is nestled against this side of the river. There are farm fields between it and the ridge on which you stand with farm houses and buildings scattered here and there. You note that the even the farmsteads all have wooden or stone walls surrounding them. There is smoke rising from numerous chimneys and you can see people and farm animals out in the fields and even make out a few people walking about inside the town.

Looking past the town to the river you see the remains of a bridge that once crossed the river here. A short pier juts out into the water where several small boats are tied. From there to the center of the river all you see of the old bridge are a few stone pilings that rise above the water.

In the middle of the wide stream is an island with the ruins of what once must have been a castle on it. The ground level of the keep appears mostly intact, but any upper levels have crumbled to nothing. Tumbled blocks of rock are scattered all about. A single plume of smoke is rising from there, it appears to be from inside the keep.

Beyond the island there is more of a bridge remaining, although it looks ragged and broken with gaps and holes visible from where you stand. Probably, very unsafe to cross even on foot.

On the other side of the river you can see the ruined remains of what was once are larger town, or perhaps a small city. The ruins are just piles of rock and stone with trees growing throughout and taking over what was once a habitat. You see no signs of other than natural life there, no houses with no smoking chimneys, no farms, nothing but ruins and the beginnings of a dark wilderness stretching all the way to the dark hills rising far to the west. You know monsters live in those hills and have spilled down into the plains and forests below them.

They have come so far as to take up residence on the river here threating Old Bridge and, more important to your employers, the river traffic passing from Fallcrest to Lakeside. You are here to run the monsters away and keep them at bay until guards from Fallcrest can be mustered and come up to secure the island and the passage up the river.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by ateno »

"Well now I feel bad about not eating fish last night. Shall we head down to the locals and see what's happening, though we might want to be quiet about our mission for now. Thoughts?"

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:09 pm "Well now I feel bad about not eating fish last night. Shall we head down to the locals and see what's happening, though we might want to be quiet about our mission for now. Thoughts?"

Malbec
OOC: A reminder from when you got this contract from the Merchant's Guild in Fallcrest....

When you reach Old Bridge speak to Simon Baker, he's the local head-man. He is the one who sent a letter to Fallcrest requesting help to "move those Goblins along!" The people of Old Bridge village want the Goblins gone as they are a threat to life and limb, but of course the Merchants Guild is more concerned about the threat to traffic.

...keeping your mission quiet is fine, but you probably should check in with Simon Baker. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:45 pm
ateno wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:09 pm "Well now I feel bad about not eating fish last night. Shall we head down to the locals and see what's happening, though we might want to be quiet about our mission for now. Thoughts?"

Malbec
OOC: A reminder from when you got this contract from the Merchant's Guild in Fallcrest....

When you reach Old Bridge speak to Simon Baker, he's the local head-man. He is the one who sent a letter to Fallcrest requesting help to "move those Goblins along!" The people of Old Bridge village want the Goblins gone as they are a threat to life and limb, but of course the Merchants Guild is more concerned about the threat to traffic.

...keeping your mission quiet is fine, but you probably should check in with Simon Baker. :)
"Maybe the merchant guildsman here will have more information," Aislin says.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by ateno »

"Sounds good, lets head down towards the village center."

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Eris »

After a brief consultation among themselves the party starts down the path into the river valley and toward the town of Old Bridge. As they walk they notice the path becomes better maintained and eventually turns from a rough path to a proper dirt road.

To either side of the road they see farms and orchards with people working in them. It is spring and planting season and what look like entire families are out working in the fields. You do notice that there are stacks of arms, spears and swords, near where each group of people are working. You see that, although, some of the young children are at play, they also are keeping watch and run to their elders are your group comes into view with shout and calls...clearly everyone is on guard here.

A group of four men approach you as you continue along, They are dressed as town guards wearing uniform tunics and leather helmets and carrying spears with short swords sleathed at their belts.

The leader holds up his hand and calls out to you, "Welcome to Old Bridge strangers! What brings you to our little town?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by Eris »

Eris wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:04 pm After a brief consultation among themselves the party starts down the path into the river valley and toward the town of Old Bridge. As they walk they notice the path becomes better maintained and eventually turns from a rough path to a proper dirt road.

To either side of the road they see farms and orchards with people working in them. It is spring and planting season and what look like entire families are out working in the fields. You do notice that there are stacks of arms, spears and swords, near where each group of people are working. You see that, although, some of the young children are at play, they also are keeping watch and run to their elders are your group comes into view with shout and calls...clearly everyone is on guard here.

A group of four men approach you as you continue along, They are dressed as town guards wearing uniform tunics and leather helmets and carrying spears with short swords sleathed at their belts.

The leader holds up his hand and calls out to you, "Welcome to Old Bridge strangers! What brings you to our little town?"
You reply...

...and proceed to town.

You get the feeling from entering Old Bridge of a town under siege. There are guards on the walls, you see small patrols walking the streets, and the citizens move quickly along the streets looking furtively from side to side. However, you don't see any evidence of an attack on the town...no damaged or burned buildings.

A short man wearing a white apron dusted with flour comes out to meet you, "Welcome of Old Bridge! I'm Simon Baker." he says wiping his hands on his apron and then offering to shake with you each.

"Do you happen to be the party that was sent by the Merchant's Guild in Fallcrest to deal with our Goblin problem?" he asks as he looks at your arms and armor.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:09 pm "Do you happen to be the party that was sent by the Merchant's Guild in Fallcrest to deal with our Goblin problem?" he asks as he looks at your arms and armor.
sorry about that, busy with mom.

Malbec looks around and leans in.

' Yeah, thats us, how arw you Mr. Baker, and how goes it here? I'm Malbec."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:09 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:09 pm "Do you happen to be the party that was sent by the Merchant's Guild in Fallcrest to deal with our Goblin problem?" he asks as he looks at your arms and armor.
sorry about that, busy with mom.

Malbec looks around and leans in.

' Yeah, thats us, how arw you Mr. Baker, and how goes it here? I'm Malbec."
"Malbec." Baker nods and shakes hands, "We're holding on here. The Goblins have not come across to this side of the river...as of yet...but we fear they will begin raids at any time. You can see we have guards out and about. This isn't something we can really maintain as most of the people doing the guarding are needed as farmers, blacksmiths, merchants, and what have you, to keep the town going."

"I'll see you have rooms for the night at Skirrid Alehouse, and tell you what we know, but I hope you can do something to encourage the Goblins to leave right soon."
Baker continues.

The party continues on into Old Bridge and to a two story building in a compound consisting of the alehouse/inn, a stables, storage buildings and an outhouse surrounded by a stone fence about 6 feet high.

You are greeted at the door to the Alehouse by a tall young woman wearing an apron over her dress and with a white bandana covering her hair, "Greetings and welcome to Skirrid's. Mister Baker, these are the folk you've reserved the upstairs rooms for yes?"

"Simon, here, is paying your lodging and meals while you're here. Breakfast is 5 to 8, Dinner is 12 to 2 and Supper is 6 to 9, no earlier, no later. Me, or my sisters, will neaten up your rooms every morning, clean what needs cleaning, and put fresh linens on your beds.

She looks at you sternly, "My family runs a respectable inn here. If you want something else, look elsewhere, and you'll find it. But while you're in Skirrid's, keep it clean! No sloppy drunks, no fighting, no hanky-panky, or Simon or no, I'll ban you. Understood?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:00 pm She looks at you sternly, "My family runs a respectable inn here. If you want something else, look elsewhere, and you'll find it. But while you're in Skirrid's, keep it clean! No sloppy drunks, no fighting, no hanky-panky, or Simon or no, I'll ban you. Understood?"
"No mum, no problem here, in fact we will be quiet and eat warm food tonight, we will be happy with a mug of ale. We could use a wash for our traveling clothing if that's alright?

Malbec held back from saying ... each.

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:17 am
Eris wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:00 pm She looks at you sternly, "My family runs a respectable inn here. If you want something else, look elsewhere, and you'll find it. But while you're in Skirrid's, keep it clean! No sloppy drunks, no fighting, no hanky-panky, or Simon or no, I'll ban you. Understood?"
"No mum, no problem here, in fact we will be quiet and eat warm food tonight, we will be happy with a mug of ale. We could use a wash for our traveling clothing if that's alright?

Malbec held back from saying ... each.

Malbec
"We can handle that. Tub of hot water in your rooms to clean yourselves and we'll wash your clothes as part of the deal." Kate says

Simon interjects, "If you want more than that, there is a bath house on High Street across the street from the Monastery Saint Tahu."

"Whorehouse"
mutters Kate under her breath with a frown, but she steps back inviting the party in and points toward a smaller room to the side of the large public area where the bar and tables for patrons are located, "Simon, you can have the Snug to talk over your plans for these folks in private, if you want, but I think they might want to get settled and bathed before they deal with you. Is that right?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:45 pm
"Whorehouse"[/dialog] mutters Kate under her breath with a frown, but she steps back inviting the party in and points toward a smaller room to the side of the large public area where the bar and tables for patrons are located, "Simon, you can have the Snug to talk over your plans for these folks in private, if you want, but I think they might want to get settled and bathed before they deal with you. Is that right?"
"Yes," Aislin says with a firm nod. "A bath, clean clothes, and something to eat would be good."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:24 pm
Eris wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:45 pm
"Whorehouse"[/dialog] mutters Kate under her breath with a frown, but she steps back inviting the party in and points toward a smaller room to the side of the large public area where the bar and tables for patrons are located, "Simon, you can have the Snug to talk over your plans for these folks in private, if you want, but I think they might want to get settled and bathed before they deal with you. Is that right?"
"Yes," Aislin says with a firm nod. "A bath, clean clothes, and something to eat would be good."
"Follow me." says Kate leading the party up the stairs to a landing where there are three bedrooms, each with a pair of single beds."

She looks your group over and says while jingling a bunch of keys on a chain tied to her belt, "Simon reserved all of these rooms, but if you're not going to use all three, I can rent out what you don't use. Your keys are in the lock, my key is on my chain. Chamber pot under each bed, fresh linen is on the beds, both changed and cleaned each day. If you want clothing cleaned we'll do our best, just hand it to one of us."

"If you want a bath, the tub is behind the fireplace downstairs to keep it warm. You pump the water and heat it over the fire if you want it hot. There's a pair of privies outback, for bar patrons and if you need one and you aren't in your room."

"Food and drink downstairs in the public room or snug if you want privacy. It's simple fare, but well cooked, if I say so myself. "

"Now, this is important! We lock all the outside doors at midnight by the town's clock."
she looks at each of you, "Doors don't open again until four o' the morning. If you are out late, you stay out until the cock starts crowing."

"Any questions?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:30 pm
"Any questions?"[/dialog]
"Thank you, no," Aislin replies. The elf went into one of the rooms and claimed a bed. She then prepared for her bath, stripping down to her tunic and a belt with her sheathed dagger. She slipped on a pair of low, soft leather shoes and made her way to the tub.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ateno »

"I call next, I I will have a pre bath ale while I wait."

Malbec will talk with the help after handing in his dirty clothing after changing into his clean clothing.

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by Eris »

Aislin uses the hand pump next to a stone cistern built into the back wall of the large fireplace heating the public room. The stone is hot as long as the fire is going in the public area and heats the water quickly. A wooden tub next the the cistern can be filled by opening a valve on a pipe going into the cistern and hot water runs into the tub making the room steamy and the tub's water warm and nice for bathing.

Once Aislin is finished she opens a stop cock at the bottom of the wooden tub and the bath water drains into a pipe leading out of the small room.

Malbec, sees Aislin leave the bathing room and takes her place. It is an ingenious setup, not needing any hauling of water from outside. Just the hand pump pulling water up from underground and the stone heated by the fireplace in the other room. Soon he is finished as well and returns to the hall outside the bathing room. Upstairs are the rooms the party will be sleeping in, along the hall is the public room where food and drink can be had. The "snug", a private room, is located off the public room.

Anyone in the party can make use of the bathing room. You also are served hearty food and fairly weak ale for your meal.

Simon Baker wants to brief you on the Goblins and what they have been doing and what he wants you to do. That will be in the next thread. Which will start unless any of you want to do anything else before that. I'll wait until tomorrow before moving to the next thread.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Nentir Vale Adventures (SFA/TD Hack)”