OOC Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#241 Post by Marullus »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm moving ahead with the scene now, so we'll see how that goes.

I agree with the comments on 5e. I find I enjoy it in live play because it is more technically complex (and I like to fiddle with rules) but on play-by-post it is slower and harder to arbitrate. Particularly if we have a learning curve.

While using a published module gives me direction, content, and scaled encounters, I'm also finding it hampers my ability to reply. I usually don't have my books with me when I'm jotting off responses and when responses require reference material, I can no longer do it. This causes some of my lags in big posts.

We'll continue on at slow speed!

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#242 Post by Unsungknot »

Sounds good to me :D I hope everyone's turkey day was good.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Spearmint »

Sure, no worries

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Marullus »

Thank you all for your patience. Killer week.

I'll try for one more round before Christmas.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Marullus »

All,
With the New Year I'm going to make the decision and close down this game. I need a GM break for a little while.

I love you all and your RP is great. :)

It's a slog trying to make 5E work and in using this module, though. I'm glad I got to try the setting, the module, and running 5E via forum. Looking ahead, I don't see the module getting better, though. It isn't as good as I hoped.

If you want honest answers to any campaign questions, I will be glad to provide them. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Stirling »

Thank you for running it and giving the opportunity to play. I think 5e works great in turn based table top roleplay but can struggle in pbp and that is the main issue as the setting and characters are fine but it can just take a long time to describe an action. For a GM, any update can take a few hours of research and cross referencing which drags enjoyment out of running a game to be sure.

I enjoyed the game and challenge but I confess 5e in pbp is not my favourite.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Marullus »

#truth
...every update post has taken two hours.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Spearmint »

Let me echo Stirling's sentiments and thank you for running the game.

I think 5e game mechanics slow play. Every action can be countered or be conditional; a computer can diagnose everything on a turn by turn. I attack, disengage, use a bonus action, provoke an opportunity attack, get a reaction, cause someone disadvantage, etc.

I do like the classes and domains, tiers of play but struggle with a lot of rolling dice.

But the Svilland is a nice Viking sandbox, maybe it can be translated into a simpler Lab Lord or 1st edition incarnation.

Thanks again. I can be countered on for future Marullus adventures to be sure.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Rex »

Thanks for running the game Marullus.

I think your summation of the issues with 5e are a pretty good summary of the its issues at the table as well. The setting and you as the DM are what drew me to this game in the hope that the standard 5e issues wouldn't come up. In the end I think you did a pretty good job with it and if anything is to blame it is just 5e.

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”