"Private" tag

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Private" tag

#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Is there any way that a section of an entry could be tagged to be private and visible only to the creator of an entry?

It would make keeping "Umpire's Notes" (or "Player's Notes") possible within an entry

So a page that had

This text is public
[Private]And this text is private[/Private]
would display to all but the creator as
This text is public
and to the creator as
This text is public
And this text is private

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: "Private" tag

#2 Post by dmw71 »

That's a cool idea.

Let's see if there's something Greg can come up with to make that work.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

I don't know if it could be done, but any semi savvy user could just view the page source, search for the [private] tag and read the message.
I think something better would be to make an entire post (or thread) viewable by only the GM of the game in question. And I think that something like that is easy to reproduce based on forum/thread permissions.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

If the idea is that it's kinda OK for someone else to read the 'private' message, then I guess it's ok. But having it display for the creator of a post only and be hidden to everyone else, that's above and beyond the simple custom BBCodes that the forum software allows.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Ah - The page-source bypass would make it a trickier option than show, but with the same result

The "Private" thread option can already be done by having a thread that's readable by the GM only.

So not such a practical idea. Hey ho!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

What I do (and others I believe) is to have a private notes section and just copy the public post, add my notes to it in another color and post it to the private notes section. There are lots of ways to organize them in different threads in the private section. By character, expedition, whatever works for you.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

If you trust your players, you could just use the Spoiler tag with a request they not open it.

DM Only:
Please don't open this!
This would be hidden from everyone. Especially if you changed the color to match the background!This is pretty close to the background. :)
Of course, if it's really, really, secret and you can't trust your players not to look this won't work.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “Suggestions”