Rules Discussion

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules Discussion

#21 Post by jemmus »

Wow! In the video, why so little recoil? Low powder cartridges? Is there even such a thing?

In the game we're in 1873, and it seems that DARs didn't come around until 1883. But oh well, no need to push nerdy authenticity too far.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

It is a 45acp revolver shooting standard loads.. Recoil would be equivalent to the original 45 colt loads. Not a real heavy recoiling round compared to many modern revolver loads. I have a lightweight (scandium frame) 45acp revolver and I can handle a 100 rounds in a session with no issue. It will handle +P+ loads and those will snap. I don't shoot as much with them, just enough to know my point of aim. 20 through my heavy 44mag revolver and I am OK, but don't go further as I know it is my limit for the day.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Thumper »

Ya, the rules confuse me vs my experience with reality. I once owned a Ruger New Model Blackhawk .44. It was my bear protection for fishing in Alaska’s outback when I was stationed there. My DA was faster and more accurate vs my buddies’ SA’s. But we were only average shooters.

I will tell you…a .44 HURTS!! That round packs a punch! Not something one often shoots for fun.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ateno »

When I shot a lot, it would take a toll, but I would do 2-300rounds a day thru several pistols and longarms, from my 22mag derringer to my 44mag revolver to my 12 gauge fie-spas.

Thumper when were you in Alaska, I grew up in Fairbanks.

Eric

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Thumper »

Erik, I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB ‘94 to ‘96. During that time I also did flight instructing and charter flying out of Anchorage (Merril Field), so I’ve been bush flying all over the state. It was so much fun! Miss those days!! When flying way out in the bush, I carried a 12 gauge loaded with penny or other metal disk-packed shells. Yes, shells loaded with Pennie’s instead of pellets. Much better for stopping a Griz charge.

Everytime I’ve been to Fairbanks, it was Winter… but I have fished the Chena both up and downstream of Fairbanks. 😁 I take it you’re not there anymore?

When I transferred outta Alaska, I spent 14 of next 18 years of my military career in Texas . Spent lots of outdoor time in the places described in Jemmus’ story.

Today, I shoot 9mm, .40 and shotguns…lots of sporting clays.

Kent

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Grognardsw »

The only time I fired a gun was clay pigeon shooting with a 12 gauge Browning shotgun on a vacation in Ireland. It was fun.

I was pondering an aspect of the rules that felt odd. The Speed after a Fast Draw rule seems counter-intuitive. It makes more random an attribute that should reflect the more skilled gunman.

Say Matt Dillon (renown marshal in Gunsmoke) with a 25 Pistol and Fast Draw goes against a desperate amateur with only a 10 Fast Draw. Dillon rolls a 1 on Fast Draw ( the best roll one can get in most circumstances), and amateur barely makes his with a 10. Yet now amateur has a 10 Speed while Dillon a 1. Desperate amateur and Dillon both hip shoot, but Dillon gets bested in speed and shoots second!?

(To add insult, Dillon can add 5 to his Speed cause 25 is 5 above 20. A nice plus, but he still loses to amateur’s 10.)

It would seem more logical that the Fast Draw skill number be used as speed, or revert to Coordination. Each option plays to the skill, as opposed to disregarding it in favor of randomized luck that defies skill.

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”