Planning and Miscellany

thirdkingdom
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Planning and Miscellany

#21 Post by kalstone »

thirdkingdom wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:51 pm
kalstone wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 pm If time permits, Ruarc would like to look for purveyors of magical laboratory equipment or rare books to stock a library.
There's only a day to look . . . Magic items, then alchemical lab:: 2#1d100 23 87

Ooh, just missed the chance to find magical items. Nothing to be found.
Is that it for Dry Gulch or is there a chance that searching the remaining two days might turn something up?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:32 pm
thirdkingdom wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:51 pm
kalstone wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 pm If time permits, Ruarc would like to look for purveyors of magical laboratory equipment or rare books to stock a library.
There's only a day to look . . . Magic items, then alchemical lab:: 2#1d100 23 87

Ooh, just missed the chance to find magical items. Nothing to be found.
Is that it for Dry Gulch or is there a chance that searching the remaining two days might turn something up?
There's always a chance!

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by thirdkingdom »

Blodwyn spends time with the local sage and historian, and learns the following about Dry Gulch and the surroundings.

Dry Gulch is a relatively new community and member of the Zelaian Confederacy, but the town is built on the ruins of an older settlement. From the 10th to 13th Cycle, this region of the Basilisk Hills was part of the Skeledrenic Empire, and the city of Debethel stood where Dry Gulch is currently. Little remains of the old city -- centuries of raids and neglect have razed most of the buildings -- but tales tell of old sewers and oubliettes that are still accessible. Debethel was one of the easternmost cities in the empire, and an important imperial waypoint and trading hub. It is from Debethel that the funeral procession of Zaphisdreal the Magnificent, last Emperor of the Skeldrenes, wound its way eastward through the hills to place his body in a hidden burial vault, one that remains undiscovered to this day!

To the south, the Basilisk Hills turn westward and skirt the edge of the Silver Sea. Called the Tala Hills, the barren landscape hides many of the ruins of the Crocodile Kings, including the legendary Valley of Kings, a long canyon containing the tombs of the ancients. Westward, the nearest large settlement is Layge -- indeed, short of Rhea's Ford, far to the east, Layge is the largest city near the Basilisk Hills.

A number of settlements and petty kingdoms dot the mountains to the north of the plains, and narrow trails wind their way northward following valleys and ridgelines until reaching Rocky Peak, a vast producer of iron ore.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by thirdkingdom »

In the process of harvesting the dragon parts you have a maximum of 1,750 gp worth of parts. You may do the following with the parts, as desired:

*You may craft suits of scale armor, with the following costs:
**+1 armor has an overall cost of 13,000 gp and requires 650 gp worth of hide.
**It is not suitable for a greater enchantment.
**Because of the nature of the armor, the wearer also gets a +1 bonus to all saving throws versus poison gas.

*The fangs and claws are suitable for crafting charms, minor magical items. Depending on the effect of the item it will have an overall cost of 100-500 gp and an overall material cost of 50-250 gp. Of that, 25% of the cost is in the principal (fang or claw). Let's say you are able to salvage a maximum of 2d6 claws and fangs: : 2#2d6 8 7. So, 8 claws and 7 fangs. Each claw is worth 20+1d20 gp and each fang worth 50+1d20 gp.

*Blood can also be harvested for use as a special component, and has a value of 50 gp per ounce.

Note that when used to create an item related to (green) dragons the value of the component is increased above the base line (but does not affect the quantity of material you can harvest). Therefore, when used to create a potion dragon blood has a value of 50 gp per ounce. When used to create a potion of red dragon control it might have a value of 75 gp per ounce. If used to create a potion of green dragon control it has a value of 150 gp per ounce.

Figure out how you want to divide this stuff up and it can be added to the wiki.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by thirdkingdom »

XP Awards for Thirdmonth, Sixteenthay

Dry Gulch Gang
*Blodwyn, Vallistra, Amagar, Ruarc, and Blix
*1,000 gp reward
*Treasure from brigands: 5,490.
*Brigand capture: 1,000 XP.

Total of 7,490, divided five ways. Each retainer gets 1,498 XP, before any modifiers for ability scores are applied.

Dragon Slayers
*Monsters (1,930) (dragon, 3 giant shrews, giant black widow spider, four wolves)
*Treasure: 15,185

Total of 17,115

*Velsind = 1 share
*Keyan = 1 share
**Ugla = 1/2 share
*Nerghui = 1 share
**Kalan = 1/2 share
** Safa = 1/2 share
*Ciaran = 1 share
**Slainte = 1/2 share
*Orpheus = 1 share

Total of 14 shares. Each retainer gets 1,222 XP, each PC gets 2,445 XP. This is all before any modifiers for ability scores.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by kalstone »

A few questions I'm just randomly throwing out here:

I have 400 gp on the monthly expenses for the laborers we hired from Dry Gulch. Since they didn't work the whole month, how much, if any, of that can be allocated to keep restoration?

Do we have to have a home base in a hex to keep it clear, or can we have patrols originate from the keep and patrol another hex? I'm thinking of hex 15.22 where there is no real place to stay.

Can we continue to hire Sir Keyan's mercenaries? If so, that gives us 6 squads of 65 men total. Would that be enough to patrol 3 hexes? I'm thinking 2 squads at the keep, 1 at the lodge, and 3 patrolling each hex with rotation at the end of each patrol.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:45 pm A few questions I'm just randomly throwing out here:

I have 400 gp on the monthly expenses for the laborers we hired from Dry Gulch. Since they didn't work the whole month, how much, if any, of that can be allocated to keep restoration?

Do we have to have a home base in a hex to keep it clear, or can we have patrols originate from the keep and patrol another hex? I'm thinking of hex 15.22 where there is no real place to stay.

Can we continue to hire Sir Keyan's mercenaries? If so, that gives us 6 squads of 65 men total. Would that be enough to patrol 3 hexes? I'm thinking 2 squads at the keep, 1 at the lodge, and 3 patrolling each hex with rotation at the end of each patrol.
Sorry for the delay in responding; my mom's been in and out of the hospital and the decision was made this weekend -- after years of declining health -- that she is going to go into hospice care. It's the right decision, but has been occupying a fair bit of time.

Answers are:

*We'll do a proportional allotment of work for the first month; they've basically worked half the month, so half the work.
*You can patrol a hex from a centralized keep, but have to use mounted troops for that until infrastructure (roads) are added).
*You can keep Keyan's mercs. You'll need two squads per hex to keep it patrolled, whether mounted or on foot.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by kalstone »

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I know that is a tough decision to make and a tough situation to be in.

Return to “Basilisk Hills Breakdown (OSE)”