Group treasury

thirdkingdom
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Group treasury

#1 Post by VonAlric »

One of the items brought up in the last game session was the idea of a party treasury that would pay for certain things (repairs to the keep, workers for the keep, food and such, other miscellaneous items). How to fund it one item to discuss.

Easiest thing to do is to have one share of all treasure found be for the group treasury and any amount of coin that doesn't divide easily in the shares goes in as well. This keeps the group from having to 'tax' themselves for party expenses and creates a fund to help reimburse expenses that might occur when we have our group split up (like the costs that are being incurred in Dry Gulch for moving the workers).

Also, main characters should probably seed the treasury with a nominal amount to start with. First figure in my head was 500 gp each but we might need to calculate some costs first to see if that is a good starting point or go up a bit.

What does everyone think about this sort of plan?
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Group treasury

#2 Post by kalstone »

I think that's a great idea. It would probably also be helpful to put together a spreadsheet of monthly expenses. I'll try to put one together on Google Sheets and post a link later.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by kalstone »

Here's a link to the spreadsheet. If you want edit access, just PM me your email and I'll add you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by VonAlric »

As we are now flush with some cash, we should revisit this. I would suggest that the haul from the dragon is where we start adding in one full share to be the fund for paying the laborers of the keep, any staff we hire for the keep, and supplies(?) for the keep. As for that last one, we probably need any clarification from the DM on what that might look like.

By the numbers, there were 14 shares for characters. So, we take the total GP amount (so nicely totaled on the spreadsheet) of 10,100 and split it up as 15 shares, we would get the following:

PC shares are 673 GP
Retainer shares are 336 GP + 5 SP
Party fund is 678 GP

This is not taking the gems from the dragon into consideration. We might need to sell them in a bigger town than Liwil to get full price. That last statement would need DM clarification as well.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by kalstone »

Financially, we are almost at the end of the first month, whereupon we will have to pay cost of living for ourselves and wages for mercenaries and laborers. As of now, that amount is 5,321 gp. We have a total of 37,001 gp plus whatever we have individually. Our laborers will provide 400 gp of labor a month. We need 25,000 gp of labor to fully restore the keep, which means it will currently take 62.5 months. We have some more laborers promised from Dry Gulch though, which will speed that up but also cost us more.

Going by the Into the Wild rules for domain management, (Todd, please correct any mistakes I make here), a fully restored keep will draw 50 families initially. It will also cost 5% of it's value a month to maintain, or 1,250 gp a month. The hex will still be wilderness, so 50 families will provide 200 gp a month in service revenue, which can be collected or used as labor, and 50 gp a month in taxes.

Trying to calculate the inherent land value for the hex, for wilderness grassland hills each family can produce one of the following:
  • Game: 2.5 gp /month
  • Livestock: 2.5 gp/month
  • Quarried: 3 gp/month
  • Mining: 4 gp/month Does this require finding a specific resource to be mined or is this a general thing?
  • Agricultural: 2 gp/month
  • Industrial: 2 gp/month
If we find something to mine, we could allocate labor in an efficient manner, but for now I'll just use 2.5 gp per family which comes to 125 gp a month. In addition, we have the slate mine, but I'm not sure how that fits into these calculations. This comes to a total of 375 gp per month once we have all 50 families present. We lose 16% of that through maintenance and tithes or 60 gp. So a net of 315 gp per month.

Obviously, we will need to greatly expand the domain from the initial 50 families if we want to make the domain a going concern. I guess my question for Todd, besides checking my math above, is how increased trade from a safer road through Liwil would affect these calculations. Would that just count as a rural improvement going towards a increase in service revenue?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm Financially, we are almost at the end of the first month, whereupon we will have to pay cost of living for ourselves and wages for mercenaries and laborers. As of now, that amount is 5,321 gp. We have a total of 37,001 gp plus whatever we have individually. Our laborers will provide 400 gp of labor a month. We need 25,000 gp of labor to fully restore the keep, which means it will currently take 62.5 months. We have some more laborers promised from Dry Gulch though, which will speed that up but also cost us more.

Going by the Into the Wild rules for domain management, (Todd, please correct any mistakes I make here), a fully restored keep will draw 50 families initially. It will also cost 5% of it's value a month to maintain, or 1,250 gp a month. The hex will still be wilderness, so 50 families will provide 200 gp a month in service revenue, which can be collected or used as labor, and 50 gp a month in taxes.

Trying to calculate the inherent land value for the hex, for wilderness grassland hills each family can produce one of the following:
  • Game: 2.5 gp /month
  • Livestock: 2.5 gp/month
  • Quarried: 3 gp/month
  • Mining: 4 gp/month Does this require finding a specific resource to be mined or is this a general thing?
  • Agricultural: 2 gp/month
  • Industrial: 2 gp/month
If we find something to mine, we could allocate labor in an efficient manner, but for now I'll just use 2.5 gp per family which comes to 125 gp a month. In addition, we have the slate mine, but I'm not sure how that fits into these calculations. This comes to a total of 375 gp per month once we have all 50 families present. We lose 16% of that through maintenance and tithes or 60 gp. So a net of 315 gp per month.

Obviously, we will need to greatly expand the domain from the initial 50 families if we want to make the domain a going concern. I guess my question for Todd, besides checking my math above, is how increased trade from a safer road through Liwil would affect these calculations. Would that just count as a rural improvement going towards a increase in service revenue?
Those resource listings don't require any specific effort or "find" to extract: its simply a measure of the general resources you can find in a hex. The slate mine, on the other hand, can be mined directly. Each hex, in addition to the values listed above, has a chance to have between 0 and 3 additional resources. This hex has the following additional resources:

*Vegetable, industrial (timber).
*Mineral, quarried (slate) 4.

These resources can either be extracted directly or added to the overall value of the hex. With the first option, you get gold up front (or at least faster) with the downside being that the mine (or timber) will eventually play out, and you'll lose the additional resource (but the overall value of the hex isn't degraded). With the second option, you get a greater long-term revenue for those two categories (1d4 sp for the timber to the monthly resource value or 1d6+1 sp for the slate mine).

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by kalstone »

Here's what I have for 1st month income and expenses. The cost of living is based on the levels from the wiki, but I thought somebody levelled to 7.
Income Outlay
Ghost Cave 12,526
Dragon Hoard (in silver and copper) 10,100
Dragon Hoard gems 5,385
Bandit Loot 5,490
Bandit Reward 1,000
Manticore Liar 2,500
Wyvern lair 5,000
Fallen Statue 48
Robber Flies 1
5 Riding Horses
8 Mules
1 Large Riding Horse
Monthly Cost of Living 2780
Mercenary Pay 1100
Hirelings 1
Laborers 400
Identifying Items 1000
Taxidermy, Dragon head
Taxidermy, Bulette 75
Antivenom x3 150
Settler Inducements 1500
Total 42,050 -7006 35,044

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by kalstone »

Here's what I have for magic items and other misc items. Please give me any updates or corrections you can think of.
Item Location Notes
Wand Ghost Cave Being identified in Liwil
Ring Ghost Cave Ring of Fire Resistance
Bag of Holding Bandits
Ring Bandits
Sword Bandits Can cast light
Shield Bandits Shield +1
Potion Bandits Potion of ESP
Dagger Fallen Statue Magical
Fine dagger Red Foot Gang Magical
Bulette Parts 4 armor plates (400 gp each) Could make Shield +1
Claws