Chargen Rules

scarik
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Chargen Rules

#1 Post by scarik »

Content Pending!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YSe ... sp=sharing (my gdoc notes)

Choose a Race:
Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ravenfolk
(Halflings are mechanically just Humans with the Small trait, likewise Gnomes with Dwarves. Half-X is a human with RP differences and trait options. Non-OSR races are ok, just ask and we'll figure it out, my last campaign had a Succubus and a giant penguin... don't ask I can't tell the wife no...)

Choose a Class
Humans have all the options.
Dwarves can't be any class with full spell progression and can't use wizardly magic unless they are Gnomes)
Ravens can't be Clerics or other divine magic users.
Elves have to be multi-class Mages. This means they start off strong, but level up slower from level 2 on will always be a level behind other races. Side-note, I adjust all classes to use the same XP progression.

Choose Alignment
Most folks are Neutral and not much concerned beyond filling their bellies. You have no bonuses or penalties with NPCs.
Pick Lawful if you have a vested desire for a rules-based order of things and want to be a defender of civilization. You have a Reaction penalty with Chaotic NPCs and a bonus with Lawful ones.
Pick Chaotic if you'd rather watch the world burn. You have a Reaction penalty with Lawful NPCs and a bonus with Chaotic ones.

Pick a Feat/Special Ability if Human. Other races have their abilities paid for by this choice so a level 1 Dwarf Fighter has the Dwarf Racial Abilities feat because they are otherwise better than a human fighter for the same money.

Pick a Skill
This is your background and its a fuzzy thing inspired by modern D&D, ACKS and AD&D secondary skills. For the default Fighters are Soldiers, Mages are Scholars and Clerics are Priests.
You can pick anything you like that fits your background. Just keep in mind that while these rules are less lethal than true OSR they aren't 5e, so paint in broad strokes.
When you want to do something you roll 2d6 and get a +1 bonus from your Skill if it applies.

Customize Gear
You have the basic tools of your class. The Fighter I previewed above has the basic set. You can modify it to fit. You could have a spear instead of a bow for instance.

Spend 10 Shillings
That's right, I count wealth in pounds of silver. You have half a pound (10 shillings, 120 pennies) to play with. You can't afford better armor or weapons, nor a horse with this much. You can afford to have a mule or dog though, or some extra weapons and kit. Alternatively you could have a couple hirelings or a henchman. You are on the hook to pay and feed them in the future but right now we'll assume you are paid up and they are ready and willing to join you on adventure.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chargen Rules

#2 Post by scarik »

What a character sheet looks like.

Class Level (Hit Dice , hit points , Spell Dice, spell points ).
Arms & Armor Class: Weapons -Melee(Ranged) / Armor (shielded)
Encumbrance: Light, Moderate or Heavy (number of stone). a Light load is 5+Str mod, Moderate us up to double, heavy is up to triple. You can't carry more than triple.
Ability Scores: You know their names. Rated from -3 to +3
Feats: You get 1 of these for every HD past the first.
Skills: All PCs have 1 Skill rated +1 at chargen.
Weapons: List all carried weapons
Armor: All worn armor
Gear: All other misc gear
Morale: NPCs only, PCs are free to be as brave or foolish as they like outside of magical fear.
Loyalty: NPCs only, PCs are free to be as loyal or not as they like as well

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”