Returning to D&D and new to PbP

Post here to introduce yourself.
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

Returning to D&D and new to PbP

#1 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Hail fair denizens of the Unseen Servant,

I started playing Dungeons and Dragons is 1981 playing B/X (Moldvay/Cook) and e1 AD&D. When I left my childhood home for college in 1988, I left my D&D books, modules, and other materials at my parents home. Fast forward 35 years and I am cleaning out my parents attic this summer, I come across a box labelled Robert's (that is my given name) Books. I opened the box expecting to find my old set of encyclopedias and maybe my paperback copies of the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and the Narina Chronicles. Imagine my delight when I found almost all of the D&D books and paraphernalia from my childhood. I was happier than 1st level thief finding a set of elven boots and cloak. I also found the paperbacks (but no encyclopedias to show my twenty something old kids).

Since then, I have introduced my youngest daughter and a couple of her friends to the world of D&D (she is super excited to be playing the same version of AD&D as the kids from Stranger Things although she couldn't understand why her 1st level party of adventurers are not encountering demons and mindflayers in the Keep on the Borderlands...). I recently found Ron over on the Dragonsfoot boards and made my way over to Unseen Servant. I was thinking to myself a few days ago, before I found these boards, if there were "slow moving" online games where "adults" could participate in adventures sort of at their own pace since Time seems to be the biggest constraint on the ability to play FtF (face to face) with my daughter and her friends. Needlesstosay, I think I found what I was looking for...

I am looking forward to learning how to be a PC. When I first started playing in the 80's I was our DM and now I DM for my daughter and her friends. I realized that I have never really played as a PC. I plan on spending a bit of time getting to know the boards and understanding the "how tos" of playing by post. But I have to admit, I am very excited and really just want to jump and start adventuring...

As for real life stuff, I am a 50 something accountant/IT type in the corporate world who has very little creative outlets at work. I live on the eastern shore of Maryland in the US in a little river town called Cambridge (not be confused with the awesome university towns in Massachusetts or the UK both of which I have spent time in and love). I am married to my college sweetheart (we met when I was 19 and she was 18) and we have 2 daughters who are in their 20s. I look forward to meeting and playing with you all.

Fair thy well,
Bruiser

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Returning to D&D and new to PbP

#2 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Bruiser!
Unseen Servant is a great place to game. As an anti-spam measure your first two posts are Moderated.
But after that you can post without delay, PM others, and join games!
Welcome and well met!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brilliant introduction!
(and a great name :D )

Welcome and Enjoy!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard BaltoBruiser!

And I second OM's comment, great intro.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sastaz »

Welcome BaltoBruiser!

Yes, nice intro :)

My recommendation, being relatively new myself, is to just roll up a guy (or gal) quickly and join one of the larger type sandbox games, for starters. To get the feel. Make up the background as you go along.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Great intro! The Babe and I have moved around a bit; some years ago I jammed with Pat and Patrick down in Crisfield.

So, the main issue you're going to face is the chance to get into waaaay to many games. Right now Spearmint runs an open Barrowmaze game that's open ended and new players are always welcome. Scarik is starting up a mix of BX and Chainmail, Rex is running a Harn game, and we have lots of Traveller, bunches of D&D old and new, one Hero system, and if you really want to melt your brain, talk to tibbius about 24xx.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by BaltoBruiser »

sastaz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:05 pm My recommendation, being relatively new myself, is to just roll up a guy (or gal) quickly and join one of the larger type sandbox games, for starters. To get the feel. Make up the background as you go along.
Leitz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:36 pm Great intro! The Babe and I have moved around a bit; some years ago I jammed with Pat and Patrick down in Crisfield.

So, the main issue you're going to face is the chance to get into waaaay to many games. Right now Spearmint runs an open Barrowmaze game that's open ended and new players are always welcome. Scarik is starting up a mix of BX and Chainmail, Rex is running a Harn game, and we have lots of Traveller, bunches of D&D old and new, one Hero system, and if you really want to melt your brain, talk to tibbius about 24xx.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

I found the dice roller and rolled up this guy:

Bhelnus is live!
Last edited by BaltoBruiser on Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Welcome! Love the enthusiasm. Have you joined a game yet? Depending on the game and system, the DM may have specific rules for character creation you'll need to follow, so make sure you read any threads along those lines in their forum. Then, have fun!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:00 am Welcome! Love the enthusiasm. Have you joined a game yet? Depending on the game and system, the DM may have specific rules for character creation you'll need to follow, so make sure you read any threads along those lines in their forum. Then, have fun!
Scott,

it appears that Bhelnus will be joining the hardy adventurers of the Barrowmaze. I am excited to see how well he fares.

Bruiser

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Good luck in the maze. I hope you fare well!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#11 Post by Scott308 »

Good luck!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”