Attachments
ExtraLife Charity livestream
ExtraLife Charity livestream
IMG_20230812_170106.jpg (503.19 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Extra Life

#82 Post by Scott308 »

I'm the one in the University of Michigan hat.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Bluetongue »

How much did you raise in the end and how was the adventure overall?

Scott308

#84 Post by Scott308 »

The team raised just over $2400, $750 of that was what I raised, and around $500 from participants who didn't join the team or paid cash onsite for their entry fee. My fundraising was down from last year, but I'm happy that I was still able to raise as much as I did.

The game was a lot of fun for a while, but we ran out of steam. The last adventure the DM blew through in an hour because he realized he was losing us. I was definitely struggling (and not really succeeding) to stay awake. We pulled the plug around 6am.

I was at the streaming table the two years we've been at this location, and while still fun, it is missing something. Since we are in a private room, we don't get the energy from being in a big group. When people at another table start laughing or cheering/ groaning for a Nat 20 or Nat 1, you pick up on the energy at the other tables. We didn't have that being in the other room. I spoke with the organizer (who was also my DM) and we talked about changing things up for next year- either not streaming or streaming from a table in the main gaming area with everyone else.

One of the employees had a better suggestion. There are a number of taller tables at the end of the room that are typically used for miniature gaming. We were using them as HQ/ a place to put the auction items. It was suggested we swap those spots. The auction stuff could be in the private room and we could use the tables and cordon it off so the general public doesn't wander into the stream. That way, we'd still be around everyone else and I think it would bring more energy. Plus, people could donate while watching the stream to do things like give us a wandering monster to fight or make us eat one of the Bean Boozleds- is it cotton candy or soap flavor? Maybe we'd get people donating from other tables if they can see the results of their donations. I liked playing at the streaming table, but I did miss being around the other tables.

As far as the actual game- everything was Adventurers League compliant, but the adventures were written for our event. The first one had us tasked with helping a priest choose a place to turn into an orphanage. We had three properties to look at, all with pros and cons and varying prices. Basically, we were on an episode of House Hunters. At one point in his description of the large abandoned manor, the DM mentioned the parties in the basement. We immediately assumed they were wild sex parties and got completely derailed. Turns out, they were summoning demons. We're assuming for sex purposes. We were also trying to determine if we would get paid more if we "found" more orphans. It was a lot of fun (until I started struggling to stay awake) and I'm looking forward to next year.

Oh, and someone at work donated to pick my character's class, then asked me what I wanted to play. I told her that wasn't how it worked. I told her what classes people had already said they were playing so we could avoid those, but it was up to her. She did ask questions about the classes and I gave her plenty of info on which to base her decision. She eventually went with Fighter. I was pretty happy, nobody had ever picked my class before!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#85 Post by Scott308 »

I am hoping to play in the charity event this summer, we are still working on when it will be so I don't know if I will be on call that weekend. Having said that, even if I am not able to play, any funds raised still go to a worthy cause. Why am I mentioning this now, you ask? Because if I can raise $100 from now until the end of April, I will unlock a sweet, exclusive glass d20 with the Extra Life logo on it!

Return to “General RPG discussion”