Garrotten

OGRE MAGE
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Garrotten

#1361 Post by Quonundrum »

wrote:
Quonundrum wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:28 pm…that's why Lestadt ultimately didn't drink the potion of gaseous form and escape.
When I read this comment it only made me wish I would have pulled the plug earlier, without trying to implement replacements. I was really pulling for the few players who were trying to keep things on track. Maybe I had higher hopes we could pull something out than I should have.
We were actually thinking on the same wavelength. My comment wasn't concerning the game's enjoyment, rather me rolling the dice instead of playing it safe. I was so laser focused on getting everyone back in the action, I thought it wouldn't be fair to let 5+ players hang in the balance.

On retrospect, I should not have assumed and I apologize.

I was aware of what you were trying to do with NPC replacements, but Lestadt was trying to identify the assassin first. He knew it was a leader and wanted to do a surgical extraction rather than assault the whole castle. Ironically, he had finally pegged the silent council member as the main suspect, but he needed concrete evidence.

The plan was to get the prisoners free and while the castle guard were distracted, pursuing, he would investigate the leaders' chambers in gaseous form. After that, recruit the paladin and Priska's old companions. We just missed it by that much. It was quite enjoyable though and we were still able to trace the clues regardless of the mishaps.

I think a mystery/investigation game over PbP would work much better with a smaller group. Perhaps 4 players at most, rounded out with henchman/hirelings as needed. I was super impressed at how adroitly you handled each curveball (fireball?). I probably would have pulled the plug MUCH sooner if I was DM. :D
Last edited by Quonundrum on Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1362 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I enjoyed it. The investigation adventure is rare and hard to pull off, but very satisfying at least to me. It's no coincidence that I've tried to be in each one you've run. :D Besides, a TPK in these things feels more fitting than in a typical dungeon crawl.

The scarcity of modules, even now, indicates either difficulty in creation or popularity in the public. I'm glad you ran it, and I'll give you some space before pushing another investigation scenario. :SAN:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1363 Post by Quonundrum »

After careful review of the 20/20 replay, what Lestadt should have done is grapple the girl! Luna and Ash(ely) could then easily pile on. :roll:

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1364 Post by gurusql »

Thank you to all. I enjoyed the attempt.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1365 Post by Quonundrum »

So ... any chance for mulligan of the last few rounds? :mrgreen:

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”