Increase in spambots?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Increase in spambots?

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

Looks like there's been a massive increase in membership, but going through those who've just joined it seems most of them are spammers as they have links to various random websites. Is there a reason why?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Increase in spambots?

#2 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:Looks like there's been a massive increase in membership, but going through those who've just joined it seems most of them are spammers as they have links to various random websites. Is there a reason why?
It happens about every six months or so. Live person registers once to find out if the security question changes. They figure out it doesn't, so they program that into the auto register and try to get their crap posted.

I log on a few times a day during these times and ban as many of the new spam IDs as I can, then ToniXX deletes them every other day or so. He's already deleted several screens worth of IDs.

The other thing you don't see is the 75+ posts they've made that aren't visible until a mod approves them. Obviously, I don't. I delete them.

Hopefully we keep it under control and it doesn't affect the normal site activity too much...

Al
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

thirdkingdom wrote:Looks like there's been a massive increase in membership, but going through those who've just joined it seems most of them are spammers as they have links to various random websites. Is there a reason why?
Was thinking the very same thing. Lots of newbies...not that there's anything wrong with that; we were all newbies once. But when you see an influx... ;)
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by hedgeknight »

Yeah, seems like I'm seeing a new member every time I refresh... :?
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Looks like ToniXX was able to get a handle of the spammers.

Hope nobody noticed anything but the increased user names (which have all been deleted, at this point...).
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Suggestions”