Barrow Moor: Search for the Forgemaster

tanker405th
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Barrow Moor: Search for the Forgemaster

#41 Post by tanker405th »

Gideon

Save vs Spells (15) +wis [1d20+1]=11+1=12

What on earth is that thing!? And you, get away from her!!! Engaging melee target that hit Sigrid

Morningstar to hit: [1d20]=7, Damage [2d4]=4
Grognard-in-training. Learning the old ways to pass them on!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

Save vs spells (14): [1d20]=19

The Knight keeps his 'attack' focused on the threat in front of him. Swinging his flail and pushing with his shield.

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=12+1=13
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(1+1)=2+2=4 L:[1d6+2]=2+2=4

Shield Bash(17): [1d20]=2

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Staggers back as she is hit, her eyes looking from her attacker to the new menace that they face. What has she gotten herself into. She summons the strength of her ancestors at the sight of the hideous specter.

Save vs. spells: [1d20]=14

Emitting a battle cry in the northern tongue, she strikes out at the lizard man who hit her with her staff.

Attack Roll: [1d20]=18
Damage: [1d6]=3

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Assault upon the Sauron Camp.

Copperpiece: Short Sword attack [1d20]=5 [1d6]=6Lizard men vs Cop, Sig or Gid? : Ex6 [1d3]=1 [1d20]=6 [1d6]=1 tail sweep [1d2]=1 [1d20]=15Lizardmen v SD: [1d20]=4[1d6]=3 [1d20]=12[1d6]=4Lizardmen v Org: [1d20]=5[1d6]=6

Copperpiece, Gideon & Sigrid surround the Sauron excavator, a long sweeping cut from the mage strike him on the back of his head, -3hp but he still stands. He whirls his pick above his head causing the young half-orc to dodge a skull cracking hack and it sweeps his long tail to unbalance Sigrid in a similar fashion to a Fighter's Shield Bash.

Sir Dewey strike one opponent, -4hp, Orgoth finishes off the injured one, -7hp.

The combat here continues, a slow grind perhaps but your intervention has at least prevented the dwarven line from being overrun. They press their attacks, two more taking minor wounds but killing another opponent. But their rush to gain the centre of the camp is halted by the lizardmen defenders. Going one-to-one in personal combats, three of the combatants grab javelins to throw at the new emerging threat.

Barrow Spectre [1d20]=8Lizard men vs Barrow Spectre [1d20]=14 [1d6]=4 [1d20]=3 [1d6]=5 [1d20]=6 [1d6]=2

The ghostly apparition advances towards the conflict, threatening with the bony stump to club another to join him in some afterlife haunt. One hurled javelin causes it to momentarily stagger before it sweeps at the three, mouthing unheard growls.

While the dwarves remain steadfast (4/5 made saves) the lizardmen weaken in resolve. (2/9 save vs spells) Though more shafts pierce the spectre, shades of blue necrotic plasma erupting where the shafts sail through its form, it brings a swing of the club down among the host of warriors.

Lizard men vs Barrow Spectre [1d20]=19 [1d6]=1 [1d20]=2 [1d6]=4 [1d20]=20 [1d6]=3Barrow Spectre [1d20]=14

Things go black. A Darkness impenetrable by the firebrands and lanterns. It may ordinarily be countered by the Sunburst shield which triggers a cone of redeeming light in the presence of Undead though strangely in the near presence of this spectre, the shield remains inert.

There is some confusion, especially in night cloud of blackness. Cries in dwarven and Sauron are heard and here at least the conflict separates as the lizardmen retreat backwards and the dwarves step out of the dark to reform.

The spectral figure emerges from the Darkness, intent now upon the group and excavators, a murderous glow in its eyes. It chews now upon a long scaly tail that droops loosely in its jaws.

Actions for the group please.
I need to resolve this ongoing conflict with next round actions as potentially characters may still get wounded and then I will round up as the expedition survivors join with Karl Barrelgut & Co.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Just loud enough for his companions to hear, "I think it may be an illusion."

He attacks the nearest Lizardman, if none are in range he will try disbelieving the specter and attacking it anyways.

Silver Magic Spear +1 [1d20+3]=6+3=9 to hit [1d6+4]=4+4=8 damage

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"It is a trick! That is no specter of the undead. The shield stays dark!" The Knight knows the illusion isn't real and strides to disperse it.

"Begone!"

tanker405th
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by tanker405th »

Gideon

Emboldened by his comrades in this bizarre fray, Gideon heeds their advice, Begone figment! and remains intent on the Lizardman harassing us. Trying to once again aid Sigrid Take this you scaly oaf!

Morningstar to hit: [1d20]=14, Damage [2d4]=4

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Spearmint »

The Sauron Camp.

Individual combats continue, the lizardman attacking Orgoth misses, two more attack the paladin and one gets in a mighty hack that wounds Sir Dewey, -6hp. Neither adventurer can retort in their defence.

A combination of blows from Sigrid, Copperpiece & Gideon assail the pick swinging excavator, -4hp, who takes advantage of the mage's unbalance to once more bludgeon her fragile frame with a smashing blow, Sigrid -5hp.

The giant spectre wades across the Moor, emerging from the cloud of Darkness to swing his own club like a harbinger of death threshing the chaff, sorting between those who believe and those who do not. Comrades have discerned the true nature of the phantasm yet fail to recognise its source. Swinging his spectral club, it swipes between combatants and the lizardmen prove especially prone to believe this is actually a real spectre disturbed from the nearby Barrow tomb, reacting physically to the ghostly presence, even crumbling under imaginary blows that metaphysically inflicts crushing injuries upon each. -9hp They are swept back into the trench, scattered, injured in body and mind.

The comrades react, some contradictory as minds scream 'it is just an illusion' but bodies action 'trying to disperse it' or 'attacking it anyways'.

Just as well then that the spectre's strikes, powerful blows enough to break an ox are pulled aside to swerve away from hammering friend as well as foe. The spectre dissipates, fading into the misty night as the conflicts conclude. A figure, diminutive and bleeding does reveal himself from the misty undergrowth. Cosmo, a gnome and former comrade. He is a master of illusion among his sorcerous talents.

Four excavators are in the trench. Surrendered and held now at the point of Copperpiece who wards them with his heavy crossbow.

Sir Dewey, Orgoth, Sigrid & Gideon can enter the Sauron camp proper. You meet several dwarves who thank you for your timely arrival and intervention which allowed them to press their charge.

Karl Barrelgut emerges from small tent made from scaly canvas sheets. In his hand he holds a disfigured decapitated head, a mottled grotesque with vipers for hair and a reptilian visage. It seems this disfigured aspect was some Oracle of the lizardmen. Behind him in the Tabernacle, Chingacharz'ad lies dead.

The two groups, a dozen lizardmen in various states of health and the now combined Orgoth and Karl's group face off. The lizardmen concede defeat, their Captain and the Oracle dead, another nine warriors deceased whose bodies are scattered about the camp.

Karl speaks, Rum who speaks lizardman can translate. The cleric allows those Sauron survivors to depart camp rather than take them prisoner. He has no wish for further bloodshed. They acknowledge this, taking with them the helm of rank that Chingacharz'ad wore, appointing a new leader among them to guide them back to their tribal lands a score plus miles away.

Karl orders the body of Three-Moons to be brought up from the Bogdweller pit. He is wrapped in the Tabernacle canvas as it is torn down and the deceased bodies of lizardmen are unceremoniously thrown into the pit. The cleric prays, tossing a small hammer into the pit which produces a forceful wave of pressure that caves in the pit walls to cover the bodies over. The dwarves share the burden to carry Three-Moons back to Helix for proper burial and internment.

Also on the scene are Cosmo Snag, gnome illusionist, entrepreneur and 'advocate' for Dwarf-Sauron conciliations. He is joined by Rum Lightbender, dwarven adventurer and Sauron translator, one who rallied to Karl's initial plea for help. Concluding the group is Callen, Cleric of St Ygg, itinerant priest and mapper of the Nergal Obelisk.
Health Status

Sir Dewey: 8/22hp
Copperpiece: 6/6hp
Orgoth: 28/33hp
Sigrid: 7/14hp
Gideon: 8/8hp

And here, after rolling further random events. This Expedition will conclude with the trek back to Helix. Arriving in the morning hours of June 30th.

In coming days, each of the injured characters receive a blessing of healing from the dwarven cleric. Each character can recover +1hp of health for each full day of rest (which includes general chitchat about town but not further adventuring or strenuous exercise to upgrade skills or any intensive study or research). So by July 7th all but Sir Dewey will be back to full health.

Karl Barrelgut: casts CLW upon Sigrid [1d8]=4 Orgoth [1d8]=7 Sir Dewey [1d8]=3 adjusted into tallies above.

Forgemaster Expedition Experience Awards:

Beetle swarm: +50xp

Three Elemental Beetles: 180xp x 3 = 540xp

Beetle Daemon: encountered and chased away, +50xp.

Two lizardmen excavators: 120xp.

Find Karl Barrelgut: +100xp

Total: 860xp / 4 character shares and half share to Copperpiece. = 191xp per full share plus any 10% prb bonus. (+19xp Orgoth only)

Each Character player also receives a +100xp Expeditions participation award.

Final totals:

Gideon Hawke: +291xp
Sigrid Myrkva: +291xp
Orgoth Stonewall: +310xp
Sir Dewey: +291xp
Copperpiece: +96xp

Please adjust scores on your sheets. I have adjusted the public records.

Treasure Trove: none, except the gratitude of the Dwarven community.

Actions please: Post a concluding action, comment or question here. Acknowledge the XP awards on your sheets.

Post in the Settlement: Helix threads. In the tavern to chat informally and to cater for any week long of Upkeep and in other location threads you visit or BRAG if you are part of the Guild.

Use the Expedition Planning thread to discuss adventuring options or post in-character dialogue between players in appropriate threads.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

After the healing, "Thank you Master Barrelgut."

Later, "Master Barrelgut, I know my sword is due to be ready soon but if it is late I understand."

Sheet updated.
Last edited by Rex on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by ateno »

Cosmo is under a gloom, he acknowledges his comrades but is stewing mostly silently.

If asked, he is unhappy the negotiation went the way that it did.

He will meet Callen joyful and happy he is alive.

Take the news of three moons death hard, but seems to get over it quickly.

Shakes Rums hand and thanks him for the translation work. "There a few ales for you at the tavern when your ready."

Cosmo will head back with the group to the town.

Cosmo

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

As the dust settles he takes stock of everybody. "Good work, Copperpiece. You have a natural affinity for combat, we just now need to unearth an affinity for hospitality."

The Knight expresses concern for Sigrid's many wounds. "Those Saurons knew a threat when they saw you. I'm glad you're ok. Relatively."

"Cosmo! You old gnome! Was that you with the specter? Good show!" As Sir Dewey gets more of the complete picture of what went down, he consoles Cosmo. "You did everything right, and everything you could. I also wish to end this blood feud between them, but hostilities run deep and last long. Keep your head up and keep pushing for what is right. I suspect you will eventually be in a position to alter things for the better, be sure to keep your spirits up until then."

He finds Orgoth. "I was in error. We got here just in time, and you were right to rush out. I'm just sorry that it came to this. That egg is becoming a problem."

Since we are dismantling this camp, should we look around for items of value left behind?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Looking around is a good idea.

Orgoth will search the camp and make sure nothing of value was missed.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

"I should have gnown the work of the fabulous Cosmo!" Sigrid exclaims as the phantasm proves to have been on their side. She grins down at the gnome, "You have been missed sir." She greets each of the group and thanks profusely for the healer's ministrations.

After the fallen Three-Moons is enshrouded and the cleric says his prayers, Sigrid will sing a brief dirge wishing the fallen a swift journey to their ancestors. If there is a respite after she will take time to study her spells.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Spearmint »

Since we are dismantling this camp, should we look around for items of value left behind?
Well, there was a strongbox in the Tabernacle (the tent of meeting with the Euryale creature) but this would be claimed by the dwarves. (Though in truth there is little in it. Certainly not any coinage or gems to share out). You could collect a few javelins if you want an expedition momento.

Nearby, as you noted, some excavations are being undertaken. One reason the camp was stationed here. But the entrance is sealed and warded. You could try and breakthrough but the dwarves and comrades in the other group are each on low digit hp with no healing spells or potions available save a minor trinket effect.

You will have to enquire with the other team regarding details of their time in the camp and any relevant discoveries made. Karl and Co though are keen to clear out rather than dig about. You can always mark the spot to come back at any point.
If there is a respite after she will take time to study her spells.
You can replenish mage spells. There are no further encounters on the way back to Helix.
If asked, he is unhappy the negotiation went the way that it did.
There are perspectives, who may have said what, who may have provoked whom.
The simple truth is I rolled and even adjusting +10 for Charisma, the negative score equates to 'immediate hostility', hence the Euryale tried to petrify Karl and it escalated from there.

Euryale: reactions with Karl [1d100-25]=14-25=-11
I will hold this thread for any more responses them move it to the Completed Expeditions shortly.

tanker405th
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by tanker405th »

Gideon

Thankful for surviving the fracas, Gideon peers at the sudden crowd and carnage. Orgoth, Sir Dewey, Sigrid, I am delighted to have come through this on the right side of the dirt. I have seen many things on this short journey that make my mind reel, both in awe and disgust, and I thank you for the opportunity to join you. I see quite a few injured here, even some of those with whom we have now joined. By the blessing of St. Ygg, I do believe I can prayerfully ask to assist two poor souls with their injuries if they so desire. It's the least I can do, since I feel my abilities during the fighting might have been...lacking.

I have 2 castings of CLW still available for those in need. I'll go ahead and roll them so they can be used as needed, if at all.

Bowing his head, and holding the symbol of St. Ygg, a soft chant begins as Gideon slowly moves the symbol in a pattern above the injured comrade and places his other hand on the wound St. Ygg, your light permeates where shadows creep, through my voice your healing leap. In service of the fragile, the wounded, and the weak, St. Ygg, bless us with your healing peak.

CLW [1d8]=8
CLW [1d8]=5

Sheet updated to reflect xp

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight would gratefully accept a CLW. "Thank you, Brother. Your presence was as helpful as your sword arm could be. Believe me, sometimes your aim fails you. But if you show up and do what's right you will never fail."

He looks around at the fallen camp and sighs. "I can't shake the feeling that what went down here isn't right, though. I wish there could have been another way. Too much fighting amongst possible allies allows the true enemy to prosper."

"Copperpiecce. Let's gather these discarded weapons for use back in town." Sir Dewey will gather some javelins and other weapons found.

"How do we mark this location to return to? That barrow seems different." The knight will detect evil at the entrance.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

That barrow seems different."
This was mentioned in the Three-Moons trek. It makes sense that information between groups are shared. One dwarf, Rum speaks lizardman and overheard these comments:
While you mingle, your language knowledge allows you to pick up on various disgruntled comments.

"We should do away with them all and begone from here." (talking about you three and the captive)

"He is bewitched and half mad. He will drive us all to deaths for his vanity" griping regarding Chingacharz'ad

"I can't sleep. The haunts from the tomb below will surely plague us again." refering to the excavation of the submerged tomb under the camp.

"This is holy ground. Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì!. She says the spine of our Draco Eyktan are here." (a mixed comment. The lizardman speaks of the Euryale refering to 'bones of our Mother' but uses a word for a dragon).

"I will take the dwarf. Scalp his beard
and use it to wipe my diarrhoea. Gracus' cooking is killing me"
Also noted: "Carnivorous plants, they lurk in the bog. Those stepping stones are actually the tops of a line of menhirs which the Moor has claimed. Under the earth an old tomb which they are trying to excavate. One of the lizardmen died trying to break into the entrance and they since abandoned it, leaving it as this pit below. The dig now elsewhere."

Normally I would not have rounded up the expedition at this point, giving characters options to continue exploring, but I felt the conclusion fair as the dwarves had finished their mission with the death of Three-Moons. I think characters could have chosen to stay, but my consideration too was even if breaking into a tomb here and explore inside only took up a game day, it might take a month plus in real life and other BRAG colleagues would be considering new adventures.

So I am fine with the territory being marked and folk can decide to return here at another point.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will try and mark the site as best he can before leaving and share its location with BRAG for the maps.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”