Planning: Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Planning: Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE)

#21 Post by dmw71 »

Making nice progress.

I skipped reading the full interior details of the inn and church (I wanted to wait until I was able to print out the maps for those two locations (which I have) to help conceptualize the place while reading it). I should be able to read these two locations in full tonight, making my (first-ever) read of the village of Hommlet complete.

Next, the moathouse.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by dmw71 »

Something I've been debating is whether or not I should customize Hommlet from what has been published. Or, at least rework the known NPCs (and any relationships) so that any names, histories, secrets, listed treasures, etc... will be completely unrecognizable to anyone.

This part might take a bit of work, but it might also be a nice task to simplify with ChatGTP (which I haven't revisited since that first night).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Switching some names and descriptions around is probably a good idea as long as you are willing to put the time in. Sounds like you are making good progress. I am working on preparing an adventure myself and am at the stage where I am going through all the encounters and trying to figure out what I need to change so I understand just how time consuming it can be.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:11 pm Switching some names and descriptions around is probably a good idea as long as you are willing to put the time in.
Okay, a quick test. I grabbed a random keyed area from Hommlet (Area 3: Cottage):

T1 Cottage.jpg
T1 Cottage.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 167 times

I logged into ChatGPT and was able to produce the following in less than 5 minutes:
John the Woodcutter wrote:Sure, here's a summary of the information provided:

**Name**: John the Woodcutter
**Race:** Human
**Class/Profession:** Commoner
**Level:** 1
**Alignment:** Neutral

**Ability Scores:**
- Strength: 12
- Dexterity: 9
- Constitution: 10
- Intelligence: 8
- Wisdom: 11
- Charisma: 7

**Hit Points:** 4

**Armor Class:** 10

**Equipment:**
- Handaxe (1d6 damage)
- Leather armor

**Skills:**
- Woodcutting (proficient)
- Wilderness Survival

**Description:** John is a middle-aged man with a weathered face and calloused hands from years of working as a woodcutter. He wears simple clothing and carries a handaxe on his belt. He is soft-spoken and generally keeps to himself, but is always willing to help out those in need. John lives in a small cabin on the edge of the woods with his wife and three children. His wife, Mary, is a homemaker who takes care of their household and helps with the woodcutting business. Their children are Thomas (age 12), who helps his father with the woodcutting; Sarah (age 8), who loves exploring the woods; and Matthew (age 4), who enjoys playing with his toys. The family's wealth comes in the form of physical assets such as lumber, tools, and livestock, and they keep it hidden in various ways, such as buried in the woods or in hidden compartments in their cabin.
The above could probably still use some refinement, but it took maybe three questions to produce the above.

Even if not using it as-is, ChatGPT can produce some very quick results that at the very least can be used for inspiration.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward reproducing Hommlet to truly create a unique experience. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

It looks good. I am not sure I would bother with everyone's ability scores but if it helps you visualize them go for it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:24 pm I am not sure I would bother with everyone's ability scores but if it helps you visualize them go for it.
That’s the thing:

Having them included is as simple as including “with stats” in the request. It’s really no effort on my part.

And considering a lot of the town members are a part of the local militia, having the stats can’t hurt.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

As long as the extra time isn't an issue may as well. Then you just need to remember to use any bonuses they get.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by hedgeknight »

The ChatGPT spit all of that information out?
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:51 am The ChatGPT spit all of that information out?
It sure did. Easily.

It took me asking a root question:

Like:
“Can you create an AD&D 1e NPC who’s a common woodworker, including stats?”
It’ll spit something out that’s already pretty good, but lacking depth.

The initial details it provided mentioned a wife and children.

So my first follow-up question was something like:
“Can you also provide details for the mentioned wife and children?”
It does.

Then I asked for it to provide details about the family’s wealth, asking something like:
“The family business has been profitable. Can you detail any wealth the family has, and where their wealth is hidden?”
It does.

It wasn’t perfect, but I finally asked it to consolidate all the above details into a single response; the result is exactly what I posted above.

In total, it took about 5 minutes.

I could have easily continued to refine the details further, but for simple illustrative purposes, it was fine as-is.

It’s really quite impressive.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Agreed, that is pretty handy.

Return to “General RPG discussion”