The Church of Erm

ybn1197
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Church of Erm

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

The Church of Erm The predominate by far (~99%) religion of the realm is the Church of Erm. The church worships the “goddess” Erm, who is in fact an Immortal being named I’crenhellem. I’crenhellem manifests in three main ways to the good folk of the world. First and foremost, to the Humans and Halflings she appears as the goddess of life and creation, Erm. I’crenhellem appeared as Erm often during the first five generations of Men, to guide them in living fulfilling lives and celebrating the world in which they live. She still will manifest from time to time, but generally anymore her presence is known and felt through her clerics and their ability to use magic. Though the worship of Erm has been with the people from the beginning, the Church of Erm as it exists today was founded in the year 3 AI. Prior to this, although the worship of Erm was the common religion there was no central church, and methods of prayer and ritual could vary wildly from one village to the next. The first king, Imlar Elmson, realized that his people would be stronger and more unified if he were to bring them together in the worship of their Blessed Mother. So, beginning almost immediately after assuming the crown, he gathered holy men from all the villages across the region, those who had joined the kingdom and those who hadn’t yet, and over the course of a year they debated holy texts, compared prayers and rituals, and compiled the doctrine which would establish the official, unified Church of Erm. The Church believes that all acts against life are sins; abuse, assault, torture, murder, and the like are all considered to be delivered upon the goddess in addition to the victim. As such, punishments generally are swift and harsh. The Church believes that all life should be celebrated and cared for, as life is a direct and powerful gift from the Blessed Mother. However, it also believes that the evil races and creatures are a mockery of Erm’s gift, and should be snuffed out. The Church, above all, reviles the undead and those who worship the Prince of Undeath, Orcus; these vile beings should always be sought out, and destroyed when found. To the Elves, I’crenhellem appears as great Tree Spirits. Most tribes of elves will have a sacred tree they revere, around which they’ve built their communities, and I’crenhellem communes with the sylvan beings in this manner. Finally, to the Dwarves and Gnomes I’crenhellem communes through Grazdad Stonefather, an amalgamation of their ancestors. Though they’re celebrating their ancestors, most fail to realize that in doing so they’re celebrating the being who brought their ancestors into creation.

Return to “The Valley of Karaccia (C&C)”