Issues with email notifications

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Issues with email notifications

#1 Post by sulldawga »

I have subscribed to a couple of different Topics but I am not getting email notifications when new posts are made.

I went into my User Control Panel, under Board Preferences->Edit notification options, and made sure all the boxes for Notifications and Emails were checked.

Can someone help troubleshoot with me?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Issues with email notifications

#2 Post by Rex »

I am getting them. When you go into the sub-forum they created for you at the bottom should be a little box that says subscribe forum or unsubscribe forum. Try checking if it says subscribe forum. You should get a confirmation box that pops up.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Mine says "unsubscribe forum" which I presume means I am subscribed.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

I only get a about half of the notifications that I know I should for example today I received 6 of the 10 (based on a quick count) I should have received.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

That sounds like it is correct. That stinks. Not sure I can help other than test posting to see if you get it.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

I get notifications fine as well. Sometimes, for periods of time, I'll get notifications like a day or two later, but usually it's pretty quick.
If it's not ending up in Spam, I'm not sure what the deal is :(
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sulldawga »

FYI, I changed my email address on the boards (from gmail to yahoo) and immediately got a notification for a new post. So I am going to change it back to my original email address and hope the problem remains solved.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

This is sulldawga under a new account because when I tried to switch my email address back to my gmail account, I found out the hard way that I don't get notifications at gmail so I can't activate my account.

Can any of the Mods here think of a reason why emails sent to gmail.com are not getting through?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Gmail works for me.
PM me the email you want it to go to. I think I can change it and merge the accounts. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

mlsgrad99 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:40 pmCan any of the Mods here think of a reason why emails sent to gmail.com are not getting through?
Interesting. I haven't been receiving notifications (in my inbox or spam folder), but I've just been assuming it's because I'm not actively participating in any games at the moment.

After logging in just now, I realize that I'm definitely missing some as well (using a Gmail account). No idea whether the issue is on the US or Google side?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I don't use gmail so can't help unfortunately. Maybe there is some spam setting in gmail?

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by SilverBen »

If it's helpful to confirm the issue or troubleshoot it, I often miss notifications on Gmail.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

I miss a lot of gmail emails. Probalby 80% or so.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Is everyone still getting the notifications at the top of there page even when they are not getting the email notifications? I ask, as it seems to me that might indicate it is on the email end.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

Red dots all the time. Got one for this.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by gurusql »

All of the notifications at the top are happening for me, I focus on those instead of the emails.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

I looked into this, and it seems that certain email providers, such as gmail and outlook, can quietly throw away email from certain sources without telling you. To make it worse it seems to be random when it happens, it will be fine for a while, and then not for a while.

I gave up trying to use an outlook email address with this site as they almost never arrived, just vanished.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Howdy,
I deleted sulldawga's new account after reassigning the posts to sulldawga, and forced an activation.
Just an FYI, if anyone needs to get re-activated (for whatever reason) you can hit up the admin team to reactivate or fix (some) issues.I know the other guys don't haunt too many other forums, but if you are locked out of here, please PM me on one of the (too many) other forums I am at, probably most notably: Dragonsfoot, OD&D74 or Knights and Knaves. I have my very unoriginal username everywhere. I'm at a few other forums as well, and some of you have connected on the Book of Face, and LinkedIn. I'm in front of the computer a lot during the daytime.

Either way, hope this saga is finished. Greg will look into any gmail issues with the forums - there may be some rule or something we have to click on, but I'm likely wrong about that :D
Be well all and thank you for being awesome members!!!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Thanks rredmond. I am not on any of the other sites you list except linkedin. If you don't mind we can connect on linkedin. Just send me a pm or let me know here and I can send you one with the info.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sulldawga »

Thanks again for the help. I was going to set up auto-forwarding from my Yahoo account to my Gmail account but that requires upgrading to Yahoo Plus, which is $5 a month. Ouch.

Return to “Help and Support”