RP games in semi-historical settings?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

RP games in semi-historical settings?

#1 Post by Leitz »

Anyone else like running/playing in a semi-historical setting? I'm doing a Fate game in Europe, circa 1655. Others are doing games closely or at least remotely based on Earth, present or past.

This really helps me with descriptions, I tend to get into a rut if I have to come up with everything from scratch. It also means that the players can explore historical places and events that interest them. All I have to do is give them some leeway, and they run with it! In the Fate game, we have multiple cultures interacting, and the players are doing a great job of interpreting the PC's culture into the character's actions and descriptions.

I've been in a lot of games where you didn't know if a PC was an elf, dwarf, or whatever, unless you looked at their character sheet. Watching diverse characterizations is a rare pleasure.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: RP games in semi-historical settings?

#2 Post by Rex »

I do enjoy it. For me anyways the same can apply to any setting that has a decent amount of detail to it. I can and often do play without that, and a good DM is always more important to me than the setting, but a well detailed setting simply adds to the game for me.

Return to “General RPG discussion”