Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

#1 Post by spanningtree »

Hey there folks,

So, my wife gave me an early Christmas present a couple of weeks ago in the form of an iPad Pro. The device is mainly slated for music related duties but while I was downloading some of the apps that I normally run on my phone I ran across Baldurs Gate EE. I had purchased the app years ago but always had issues running it on the phone. The limited display real-estate made the game unplayable, so it just remained unused. I decided to give it a whirl and holy mackerel! What a game! Heh, I have probably put in 40 hours playing in the past couple of weeks. I think the the authors indicated the estimated playtime is about 100 hours.

--The character generation system seems really accurate to 2e/3e.
--The Forgotten Realms background is deep and all the usual suspects are there. EX: Volo, Elminster, etc...
--Combat can be challenging in interesting ways.
--The story and plot are super engaging.
--There are challenges for each class. Thieves are actually used quite a bit for instance.
--Gives one a serious respect for mage spells like fireball, lightning bolt, etc... (EX: fireball blast radius is a significant concern).

My epiphany is probably old hat for most of the folks on the board but for those that have not tried this game out: please take a look. It appear that there are versions for most platforms (PC, Mac, etc...). It is turn based, so it does not scratch that first persons shooter itch, and has an old school feel, but that just adds to the charm IMHO. In addition, its pretty cheap, like $20.00 for the mobile version. Considering the amount of provided entertainment I think that is an awesome deal. To boot, when finished with this version there is Baldurs Gate EE II to explore afterward, with character import. After those two, assuming my attention does not wane, I might take a look at Never Winter Nights as well. Anyway, I just thought I would post this, if you have some time off this holiday season you might want to nab this gem.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

#2 Post by dmw71 »

It'd probably be nice to turn my iPad into more than a portable PDF device, so I may need to check that out. Thanks for sharing!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ravenn4544 »

I love Baldurs Gate. I think i've played through that at least twice. Waiting on Baldurs Gate 3 to be finished so I can hit that one next.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sastaz »

Nice tip, thanks! Oh my, this got me thinking "hey, I should try a port of Bard's Tale and Pool of Radiance (SSI/Golden box) again!"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

I spent sooooo much time playing Bard's Tale (and Wizardry) back in the day!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “General RPG discussion”