Chapter 1 - In Without Knocking

jemmus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1 - In Without Knocking

#221 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie watches on and wonders what could possibly happen next.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#222 Post by cybersavant »

jemmus wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:53 pm Sorry, I wasn't clear.
The man says to Andreas, If you have business with the railroad, I'm the one to talk to. I'm the only W&NW employee in town.
Andreas Larson stops midstep as he's walking to the door. "Ah, ja, i zee. We can talk here?" Andreas sits at the table so he can talk face to face. "I hear der Waco und Northwestern railroad ist hiring guards."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#223 Post by ateno »

jemmus wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:00 pm McCollum answers, Ed Campbell, that's your opinion, not the law. I have a letter in my pocket from a lawyer in Austin that says the law lets an aggrieved husband kill a lecher any time and any way he wants to. I'd show it to ya, but I'm a little busy right now. No disrespect meant, Mr. Campbell, but you may be a judge but you're no licensed lawyer. You studied a couple of years at Baylor College up in Waco, but the war came and you didn't finish. I don't fault you for that, the war made things rough for most everbody. What I do fault ya fer is fer makin up laws to fine everbody who passes through Hays County, like yer tryin to do now protect yer business partner Johnny Behan. And fer pocketin--

Obviously the law is a little sketchy on this subject, a combination of local, regional. state and federal requirements. Doos had his idea it was still premeditated, but since he did not mind to much the thieving judge was shot, and local law enforcement did nothing, neither does he.

Doos goes to look for he young cowhand and asks for assistance. "I plan on telegraphing the families of the fallen and organize gathering things and trying to get the things and stuff to the families.

To help move along, the telegraph will say, "[name] dead in San Marcos shot in bar fight, would you like effects? if so, send legal statement and cosigning lawyer assigning me, Judge Jonathon Doos as lawyer. Will reply with items sending and monies owed. Will take expenses and small fee for service."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin had to restrain himself from interfering in the matter between Dennis and Sheriff Behan. He had talked with both of them in the last few days, and each knew the danger they faced in playing with the emotions of Virginia. Paladin wasn't getting paid to interfere, only keep Virginia out of harm's way. He wondered if this tragedy would set the woman straight.

Paladin made eye contact with Virginia as Dennis gathered her and they left.

After the place was cleared, Paladin went to the telegraph office. He saw Mr. Doos there; he had met the man briefly at the saloon, before all fighting broke out.

"Quite a lot of legal talk today," commented Paladin. "This town seems to need more honest lawyers, particularly if the accusations of a corrupt sheriff and judge are true."

Paladin sent a telegram to Mr. Cummins: DENNIS SHOT BEHAN. HE'LL LIVE. VIRG NOT IN HARM & BACK W/ DENNIS. SHE INCITES MEN, BUT IS HERSELF SAFE. THIS TOWN NOT GOOD FOR HER.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by ateno »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:20 pm "Quite a lot of legal talk today," commented Paladin. "This town seems to need more honest lawyers, particularly if the accusations of a corrupt sheriff and judge are true."
Offers to shake hands.

"He all but admitted to corruption by the trail he should not have run and the harsh repatration of dead peoples items. When I was judge, I would have it boxed up and sent alsong, minus postal and service fees.

But its not my town, I can only help who needs it and hope that I find a way to love soon."

Jonathon Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by jemmus »

ateno wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:11 am To help move along, the telegraph will say, "[name] dead in San Marcos shot in bar fight, would you like effects? if so, send legal statement and cosigning lawyer assigning me, Judge Jonathon Doos as lawyer. Will reply with items sending and monies owed. Will take expenses and small fee for service."
Young Dan Rucker says, Ike Myer was from Freer, in south Texas. We passed by there a couple of weeks ago, and his ma sent us crabapple pies and oven-baked bread. Gabe Douglas was always talkin about back home in Laurinburg, North Carolina and the nine pound catfish he noodled. Doos sends telegrams to the Myer family in Freer, Texas and the Douglas family in Laurinburg, North Carolina.
$1.40 cost. Where does Doos want any replies sent to? The San Marcos telegraph office? The office in Austin, which is the central hub city for this part of Texas? (I realize you don't know what's coming next for Doos. But you can probably expect some ranging around Texas, if not farther afield. On the other hand, the property located in San Marcos. And Doos now has some fairly good information on how this town works).
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by jemmus »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:20 pm Paladin sent a telegram to Mr. Cummins: DENNIS SHOT BEHAN. HE'LL LIVE. VIRG NOT IN HARM & BACK W/ DENNIS. SHE INCITES MEN, BUT IS HERSELF SAFE. THIS TOWN NOT GOOD FOR HER.
Similarly to before, Cummins's reply arrives just a couple of minutes later. CHK ON V IN 2 DYS & RPRT. INFRM OF $S ALRDY SENT.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by ateno »

jemmus wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:04 am
Young Dan Rucker says, Ike Myer was from Freer, in south Texas. We passed by there a couple of weeks ago, and his ma sent us crabapple pies and oven-baked bread. Gabe Douglas was always talkin about back home in Laurinburg, North Carolina and the nine pound catfish he noodled.
"Good job young man, I thank you for the information. If you care, you could witness me sending off the telegram and co-sign the money I will spend to send them. I suspect at least Myer's mother will remember the bottomless crabapple pie hole, Hee hee."

Where does Doos want any replies sent to? The San Marcos telegraph office? The office in Austin, which is the central hub city for this part of Texas?

Lets set it for San Marcos, does current technology allow a CC at Austin?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by jemmus »

cybersavant wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:05 am
jemmus wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:53 pm Sorry, I wasn't clear.
The man says to Andreas, If you have business with the railroad, I'm the one to talk to. I'm the only W&NW employee in town.
Andreas Larson stops midstep as he's walking to the door. "Ah, ja, i zee. We can talk here?" Andreas sits at the table so he can talk face to face. "I hear der Waco und Northwestern railroad ist hiring guards."
Oh yeah, the man answers, most railroads are always hiring guards. It' rough work though. Most train robbers aren't content with robbin just the cash in the express car. They walk through the cars taking the passengers' cash, watches, brooches. Anything of value. The guards have stop them from doing that, without starting a shootout in a crowded car. The pay is good though. Ninety dollars a month to start. If you want to apply, the W&NW office in the Austin station is the place to do it.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Grognardsw »

jemmus wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:22 am
Grognardsw wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:20 pm Paladin sent a telegram to Mr. Cummins: DENNIS SHOT BEHAN. HE'LL LIVE. VIRG NOT IN HARM & BACK W/ DENNIS. SHE INCITES MEN, BUT IS HERSELF SAFE. THIS TOWN NOT GOOD FOR HER.
Similarly to before, Cummins's reply arrives just a couple of minutes later. CHK ON V IN 2 DYS & RPRT. INFRM OF $S ALRDY SENT.
Paladin shook Judge Doos’ hand.

“Perhaps if Austin heard of the their questionable practices, Behan and his judge would get set straight.”

Paladin telegraphed back to Cummins: XTRA DAYS RQUIRE MORE THN XPENSES. $5 PER DAY.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by jemmus »

The judge, jurors, and townfolk stay to watch the doctor bind up Sheriff Behan's chest and abdomen and get his limp body loaded onto a wagon for the doctor's office/surgery. It seems that the judge's tail feathers ride a little lower than they did a just few minutes ago. He tips his hat to the room, mutters, Most unfortunate. Barbarity as if from the time of Baal... and makes his way out.

The townspeople talk among themselves a little, avoiding discussing the right or wrong of what they've seen happen. The trial and fining and sentencing of the drunk cowboys and the traveling hotel guests. The shotgun battle between Sheriff John Behan and the McCollum boy. The fancy rich woman from the city who caused it.
Well, I'll be gittin back to work.
Me too. I got an ole cow that's about to drop her calf any minute.
Well, that's about enough excitement fer me fer one day. I need to relax a little by pounding iron into horseshoes.
I got to pick up some goods at the general store bright and early tomorrow mornin. If anybody wants to have a coffee, see ya there.

But to the visitors to San Marcos, it seems that the folk of the town are about busting their breeches to recount, discuss, analyze, and speculate on the recent events in the town. Enough news and gossip for many an around the cracker barrel session or before or after church conversation. Heck, Mrs. Balfour might even have to call a short notice special home Bible study lesson, John Oliver might have to go see how Henry Wallace's ole cow that about to calve is doing, etc., etc.

And the Hoffmans have another round of buckets of water, lye soap, and scrub brushes to do.

Which takes us to Chapter 2 – Cash Dollars on the Hoof viewtopic.php?f=1326&t=12350
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#232 Post by cybersavant »

jemmus wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am
cybersavant wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:05 am
jemmus wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:53 pm
Oh yeah, the man answers, most railroads are always hiring guards. It' rough work though. Most train robbers aren't content with robbin just the cash in the express car. They walk through the cars taking the passengers' cash, watches, brooches. Anything of value. The guards have stop them from doing that, without starting a shootout in a crowded car. The pay is good though. Ninety dollars a month to start. If you want to apply, the W&NW office in the Austin station is the place to do it.
Andreas Larson "Vell, i am in need of vork. Dan-- thank you for dee information." Andreas gets up from the table and walks outside to get his horse.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by jemmus »

ateno wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:15 pm Where does Doos want any replies sent to? The San Marcos telegraph office? The office in Austin, which is the central hub city for this part of Texas?

Lets set it for San Marcos, does current technology allow a CC at Austin?
I meant to reply to this earlier. I did some research, and the answer is "not really, but it a similar result can happen." A telegraph office was connected by wire to one or more other offices. For example, the San Marcos office is connected to Austin to the north and New Braunfels to the south. For the North Carolina telegram, the operator sends a message to Austin. An operator in Austin has to tap out the message and send it to Round Rock, and an operator their has to do the same and send it east to Rockdale. It has to go like that all the way to North Carolina. That's how I understand it, at least. The internet articles are long on the science and engineering of telegraph systems, but short on information about how the networks worked in daily practice. If anyone knows better, please let us know.

So I think Doos could have replies in both San Marcos and Austin. Because the reply would have to go through the office in Austin, and they could just save a transcribed copy.

I should have charged Doos more for the telegram to NC, considering all of the relaying by hand involved. :)
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”