Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Game Thread: Onreon

#121 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

The Highway

Nightblind, Alphonse sticks close to where he can see with the truck headlights.

Sam scans the area around the truck and picks up what might be a trail leading from the road pavement further into the brush. There aren't footprints but the dirt is scuffed up recently. "Got some sign over here," Sam calls out quietly.

Dimitri searches the cab. Nothing in the compartment but some empty chip bags on the dashboard. The glove box has a basic first aid kit and a torchlight. He does notice fresh dirt on the floor of the cab. "Got some sign here too, fresh dirt."

Rando unrolls the window, Well are we comin or going?

Character Actions?
Apologies on the long delay this week. RL got in the way of PC time.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#122 Post by Thumper »

Well, I vote for going. We wanted to find natives, here’s a chance. At least one party to what happened here looks like they could use some help.

Dmitri throws the torch to Alphonse. Catch!

But Sam seems scared of the dark. Maybe we leave her behind to watch the truck? Just kidding. Get your gear.
He grins wryly as he passes Sam and gives her a “Nice Game” smack on the butt cheek.

Dmitri walks back to the truck, changes his jacket for his ballistic cloth, adjusts his shoulder harness for the thicker armor, straps on his belt with the stun baton, and grabs his backpack with his field gear. He tucks the 1st Aid Kit from the other truck in as he retrieves the inertial locator. He sets up the inertial locator to track their trail and marks their present location.

Move her partway off the road and lock her up Rando?

He looks practiced as he gears up. He stands ready, scanning the countryside as he waits for the others.
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#123 Post by Tamerlaine »

Thumper wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:11 pm Hey, Sam…you ever been mistaken for a man?
No, have you?

Sam chuckles to herself, her tension breaking with the banter. Great, now we’re going to get involved in some questionable Abo-Settler dispute.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#124 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse catches the torch and begins sweeping the beam across the ground looking for any sign of tracks.

His right hand clutching the taser in his jacket pocket.
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#125 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

The Highway

Rando pulls on some gloves and moves both trucks safely off the road then grabs his kit, locks the truck and joins the team. "Been a while since I've done any night ops." He flashes some hand and arm signals to the group and waits.

Sam just shrugs her shoulders, no response from the others.

"OK then, we'll keep it simple. Since we don't want anyone out there to know we're coming we need to douse the lights and give a few minutes for everyone's eyes to adjust to the darkness. If one of you wants to give me your goggles I'll take the point and whoever has the other set can bring up the rear.

Sam hands the LI goggles over to Rando, "you take point Rando, that's a great idea."

"We'll move slow with safeties on please. If I hold my hand up like this it means stop and when I wave it like this it means start moving again. If I point my fingers at my eyes like this, that means I spotted something. If you see me aim my rifle at something then we're probably about ready to get in a fight. Any questions? "

There are none. Rando has everyone check their gear for noise and once satisfied he has them sit and wait until their eyes are adjusted to the darkness. The Travellers move off the road into the thick brush.

Rando moves slowly and methodically along the narrow track, periodically pausing to look for sign then waving them forward again as he picks up the trail. Behind him are Alphonse, Sam then Dimitri bringing up the rear. Insects are chirping and night air is muggy and surprisingly warm.

Near the crest of a short rise Rando's hand shoots up for stop then he motions the group forward.

Rando, barely in a whisper, "100 meters just ahead at 10 o'clock."

Character Actions?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#126 Post by Thumper »

Barely hearing Rando as he approaches from rear guard, Dmitri looks at the spot with his IR goggles. He'll watch for a few seconds...

Hmm. Two Tuskers. But what's that IR hot object lying between the beasts? I haven't seen movement from it. Rando, you site in on the left and I'll take the right animal. Alfonse, when we say, why don't you light them up with the torch. I would expect beasts to run off under the torch's light. But if they charge, Rando and I can shoot 'em.

Thoughts?

While planning, he hands his rifle to Alfonse and Sam to take a look through the electronic LI scope.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#127 Post by Tamerlaine »

Sam makes a face after she sees the scene through the IR/LI scope. I think we've found our driver...maybe."

She grips her shotgun a little tighter. "If you light them, I think all hell is going to break loose. We did bring a med kit, right?"

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#128 Post by dongriffiths »

Nervously Alphonse releases his grip on the taser and slowly draws his sword and pushes the point gently into the ground. He then draws his revolver and aims in the direction of the tuskers.

Glancing at the others to check all is ready he turns on the torch keeping one eye firmly closed to protect his night vision somewhat.
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri scopes in on the right Tusker. Whispering...

Rando, I'm ready. Go on Rando's call.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#130 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

The Clearing

Alphonse clenches his teeth and switches on the torch. The animals swivel their heads up to look in the direction of the light but soon go back to rooting.

Without taking his eyes from the scope Rando whispers quietly, "I think the beam from the torch will maybe go 15, 20 meters tops. Should we take the shot or try to get closer?"

Before anyone can reply there is a crashing and scuffling through the brush coming from behind them!

Next poster roll for initiative

Character Actions?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#131 Post by Thumper »

Upon hearing the noise, Dmitri thought it was Rando's "fire" command and squeezes off the shot he had readied. He hits the right Tusker in the field then pivots quickly to the ruckus behind him, readying his rifle again and flipping his IR goggles down on his eyes again.

+1 Dex and +4 electronic site...hit with a raise!!!
Damage

Init Roll:

+1 Dex

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#132 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse starts at the sound of the gunshot. grabs the hilt of his sword and begins slowly backing towards the truck.

His gun continues to point at the tuskers while the light from the torch sprays around as he clutches both sword and torch in his left hand.

If any of the beasts he can see begin to charge he will fire

Initiative (DEX)

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

The Clearing

The rifle report is deafening in the still of the night. His target drops and Dimitri scrambles to reorient himself to the rear.
Alphonse grabs his sword in one hand, revolver in the other and turns to face whatever is coming at them through the bush.

Range is Medium
Party gets 1 surprise attack
Character Actions?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#134 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri iron sites (IR goggles looking under the scope) in on the tusker behind them, and fires:

+1 Dex for 12 total...but whose counting? First +1 included in the roll (and forgotten in my previous shot) is +1 Rifle

Damage:

He'll assess his hit on this one. Once it drops, he'll pivot back around to locate the tusker that was by the first one he saw.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#135 Post by Tamerlaine »

Sam

This is turning into a goat fuck, Sam thought as she brought her shotgun up to bear. She'll shoot at anything that comes at her or if she's clear and one of these pigs come at any of her mates.

Shotgun: [2d6]=12 Wound: [4d6]=16

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#136 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse continues to back towards the vehicles trying to keep as much distance from the animals as he can while doing so.

He nervously swaps hands with his weapons getting the sword into his preferred hand and keeps the pistol pointed in the right general direction ready to shoo should anything come at him.

Revolver

Damage

Return to “Space 1977 (Classic Traveller)”