Hello Polly!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hello Polly!

#1 Post by Leitz »

NOTE: If you're not a computer geek, this will make even less sense than most of the other drivel I write.
You have been warned!

If you want to add a little immersion to your games, AWS Polly is a multilingual text to speech synthesizer. Imagine your players sitting down to get their next "mission brief", and some voice audibly gives them the details, mentioning them by name, talking about previous actions, etc. How would that feel?

Polly is available on the AWS Free Tier, and even paid for stuff doesn't cost much. Install the AWS CLI for your OS, and then try this:

Code: Select all

aws polly synthesize-speech --text-type ssml --text '<speak><lang xml:lang="en-GB">All your PC are belong to us</lang></speak>' --output-format mp3 --voice-id Tatyana speech.mp3
Play the MP3 and see how you like it. :)

Note that this is a bit of a complex example, Tatyana is a Russian speaking voice. The XML tags tell her to speak in British English, but she still has a Russian accent. For normal text, remove the <tags>.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Hello Polly!

#2 Post by tibbius »

Nice. I will keep this in mind, at least somewhere in the back ... it might be fun to try it out.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Tips for the DM”