Cepheus Engine, then Boons and Banes

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Cepheus Engine, then Boons and Banes

#1 Post by Leitz »

Cepheus Engine is an open content 2d6 sci-fi game based on one of the, if not the, most popular 2d6 sci-fi games ever. One of the first, at least. :)

The open content bit means that we can take it, use it, share it, expand or contort it, as we like. We just can't claim ownership, nor can or should we distribute it without the same open content license. Here, go get the "Pay What You Want" version and we can talk.

I tend to write science-fantasy. That is, hard science does not dominate the story, the characters do. Some things are low tech, like "The Waltons", some stories are combat heavy, and others are deep space exploration. This sort of writing often pushes me past the "rules as written", and that's where this post comes in.

Normal Cepheus Engine/Traveller chargen provides skills, stat increases, or resource benefits. I want to add "Boons" and "Banes". Non-standard things that a player might want for their character. Think of television shows or movies, often characters are really good at something. Or they have some strong advantage that might not come with a random dice roll. Boons are simply a way to allow the player to create a character the way they want. Banes are like HERO system disadvantages; they allow the player to get extra Boons.

A quick note on "game balance"; that's more of a fantasy than killing a ten ton lizard with a four foot long sword.

What are some useful boons you've thought of for your characters? Here are some I've come up with, but I'd like to build a much longer list. Please note that if I ever write any of this up it will be licensed by the same open content as Cepheus Engine itself. If you don't want to give your ideas away freely, please don't post.

Boons
  • Side Job - roll one more term, alongside the current career. Could even be an extra work in the same career.
  • Rich - get twice the highest mustering out benefit for the current career.
  • Experienced - get a skill at 3.
  • Gifted - Raise one stat to 12, or to 15 if it is already 12+.
  • Wealthy Friend - less control of the revenue stream, but always able to get stuff that's needed.
Banes
  • Hunted - someone is out to ruin your life.
  • Outcast - you can't fit into normal society, even the lower classes push you away.
  • Blamed - some well known disaster/failure was pinned on you, true or not.
  • Defender - someone needs your active participation to protect them.
Note that a character could play out resolution of a Bane; they would still get the extra Boon. It would be a good game challenge, and a good story. That's the name of the game, isn't it? ;)

If you wonder why I don't just use HERO system, there are two reasons. First, it's not free, and second, *everything* costs. I like to give players a chance to build the character they want without hemming and hawing over every half point. HERO system is good, but not my DM niche.

Return to “RPG theory”