Barrowmoor: Leibish, a destiny with Harmony.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmoor: Leibish, a destiny with Harmony.

#81 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown Southwoods

May 14th 1066.

The bagpiping troll plays a dirge and the northern barbarian sings an evocative chant extolling warrior virtues, of pride, strength and brotherhood in battle.

It seems at least the troll recognises your actions against a common foe, though 'my enemies enemy' does not necessarily equate to being a friend. The lowering of weapons and raising of voices do make a favourable impression and after the chant, the troll sits, folding away the bone pipes and rolling the hide chanter-bag into a sack.

The troll's left leg is blistered from the oil burns which he addresses with the stems of some large soft stalks, squeezing the sap and rubbing it into the wound. He has a strange ability, maybe it is Trollish trait, but he can look down at his leg with one eye and up and across the clearing to the gawping party with the other. Each eye moving independent. After a minute he rubs his hand through his black dreadlocks and speaks to Sigrid

"Your voice is spell binding. As sweet as the wind through the trees and haunting as the banshee."

Asked regarding the safest routes to travel he shrugs, "Nowhere is safe, especially to trolls. Better off staying at home and raising kids and bread." He gestures behind him which you take as pointing to the rising mountains in the distance and he speaks of dwarves and wyverns, how those who dwell upon the heights have hunted and oppressed those who dwell in the mountain roots. Towards the Barrow Moor, he comments about 'those who have snared my kind' capturing them in vain imaginations. In the immediate forest he gestures that 'many travel but few stay', perhaps indicating the forest between the settlements is traversed quickly and those who do camp only do so on a temporary basis.

Pointing to the southwest and Harmony's elven community, he shrugs his large warty shoulders.

"I have not tread those trails in many years yet my toes and nose points in that direction. Is that an omen of fortune, bard-sister?"

He asks.

Meanwhile, Leibish and the two mercenaries can search the Hobgoblin dead. Collecting a refreshed supply of arrows and taking any weapons you see fit (spears, axes). They have a few coins, Duchy silvers, mostly bent and defaced but still useable currency (+400sp).

what would you like to do next?

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by SilverBen »

As the music and singing conclude, Leibish quickly conduct his search of the Hobgoblins with Fenton and Milner. "Dangerous business, my friends, and I would rather pay in silver any day than in blood. Here, take an equal stack." He motions with his hands to indicate dividing the silver coin evenly four ways as if the pile were a fruit he sliced among them.

Besides the silver, Leibish takes only arrows and a spear for himself(added to character sheet) before hurrying back to Sigrid and fascinated by her exchange with the troll. He understands little or nothing of the words spoken between them, but observes the distinct rapport that Sigrid establishes with the unexpectedly docile troll. He joins Harmony and remains a short distance away. He turns to caution Fenton and Milner not to interfere in SIgrid's negotiations or whatever she has done to pacify the troll.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid bows to the troll after his complement, "Thank you trollkin! You are the first of your kind I have met since traveling from the northern climes. Alas raising bread nor child was never in my future for I am seidr and that cord has bound me to my present road. So a troubled path is better to me than a boring one washing pots and unruly kinder. I am young and untried, so I must test my mettle in the forge of what lies ahead. It will either burn away my weakness or break me, as only the gods can tell which, I travel onward content with where 'ere my path takes me.. I cannot say if your ken leads you as an omen of fortune. Perhaps your gods can guide you. Be safe brother and thank you for your kind words and advice."

She turns to Harmony, "He says your village lies to the southwest." Noting the coins she takes her share and lays it before the troll, "I believe these belong to you." Bowing once more before returning to Leibish.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown Southwoods

May 14th 1066.

It is a strange contrast to watch as a nine feet tall, warty skinned troll, kilted in a skin hide with black as night eyes and long dreadlocks covered in bone braids munches on a raw Hobgoblins arm whilst talking to a svelte, war painted, blue eyed pale face that weighs just above seven and a half stone (or 110lbs).

Yet the troll seems untroubled by the staff wielding mage who converses with him, unafraid of his overbearing presence. Sigrid offers her gold coins to the troll. They were not his, he assumes you are paying him.

"Gods do not guide the trolls. We are cursed and forsaken. Are we not spewed out from the mountain roots to rage at our abandonment? Every face against us, every hand raised to fight, every eye in fear? Cursed we are to die and die again. If I was ever hungry I could feed myself and yet the gods curse us to everlasting."

He bites several fingers off, munching upon them and swallowing the knuckles and bones from his half hand. He holds his self mutilation up for you to see, blood streaming down his arm but them the wound congeals and sprouting, new fingers form and stretch out into a new hand.

He wipes his hand upon some large leaves, cleaning the blood and tosses the Hobgoblin arm aside, nibbled clean as you might take a buttery corn cob.

"My apologises little painted dove. My rage is soothed only by playing and my hopes to assuage the gods. I have ate my fill of Hobgoblin and murder. I sojourn to the groves to enquire of my kin and to halt the curses that beset us generation after generation. Are we not worthy of paradise that we should suffer on earth and in our anger take it out on all?"

He looks solemnly up to the clouds above and the morning stars that cross the heavens. Then he stands.

"By the gods you have paid me to guide you and I will if you will follow?"

He walks past the group and out of the clearing, stopping at the edge to look back checking if you want to follow.

actions please.
so you can learn a bit of Troll Lore or history here. What the troll is inferring is that the troll ability to regenerate means they continually resurrect unless burned in fire or acid. So he has lived many lifetimes, being killed only to regrow his head, organs, arms, whatever and continue in life. Trolls by default are 'evil' creatures but he suggests that the wanton brutality associated with trolls is just part of this rage that everybody hates them, so they just hate back. It is inbred in them. To hate, to fight, to brutalise as there is no consequence. Why toil and work for food when you can steal and kill and get away with it?

They have no hope of heavenly reward. Since the gods have cursed trolls to keep regenerating rather than die and pass into paradise. Hence feeling forsaken.

Yet this troll over his continuation of lifetimes has decided to try and appease the gods so that the curse as he sees it may be lifted and then perhaps trolls will be less Trollish.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid listens to the troll's tale, her naturally empathetic nature, makes her heart cry for the troll's desolation. To be so cursed must be a horrible thing. Better to die a noble death and go to the alehalls above than live forever under such oppression. She hadn't meant to hire him, but since he decided she had, perhaps it was best that they follow. She glances back at Leibish and Harmony quizzically. She feels it would be wrong to deny such a gesture, but she was not the leader of their group nor the one seeking their home.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Spearmint »

I will move this on as I rolled various random forest events.

Bogtown Southwoods

May 14th 1066.

Halted by the encounter with the hobgoblins, the trek towards the Wrydwood settlement restarts, the group reinforced for better or worse with the hulking troll.

The mercenaries are uneasy, naturally as would anybody be. Each step is taken with hands solidly upon sword hilts or pouchs filled will lantern oil.
Leibish walks with Harmony, Sigrid in the shadow of the troll.

"Saltheart-Wargherald-Walks far in Hope-He who Shakes Fist at Gods-Stagbane-Melodymaker of Discordant Bones.. My name at birth, born under the full moon as the wolves howled. My mother howled too as I was breach born, nursed in the deep until I took my first steps and suckled on snakes blood. I remember fishing for blind salamanders in the dark pools and then the dwarves came, setting the waters on fire with green flame. I remember the earth shaking and the snow flowing from the mountain slopes to
cleanse the valley of all trees and life. The silence, no birds in the sky, no creature on the ground. My footsteps alone walked in snow on top of those buried feet beneath. Some are still there, trying to dig themselves out. Of those that do, they are changed. There flesh withered but their spirit living on."

He plays another dirge on his bagpipe as he remembers various experiences in his life. Either he is ignorant to the sound highlighting your trek or he is not afraid of any effect. Why should be be? He regenerates so has no fear.

you learn a little more Troll culture. They take long names, adding extra which mark specific events or vocations. He points to events such as avalanches or earthquakes as records and the emotion he felt after. You can tell he has anger towards dwarves and how the winter season of snow brings sad reminders of his past.

Fenton and Milner cut away a trail through the overgrown bracken and foliage, following behind their guide. Fearing he will suddenly turn and demonstrate his true trollish nature but Saltheart walks on, chatting or playing, unmindful of the wariness.

Do trolls ever get tired? Not so apparently and after a gruelling four hours (gruelling for your ears as well as your legs) you break out into a small clearing that has a terrace of stone steps dugs out in a semi circle like an outdoor amplitheatre which face several squat, stone carved caricature figures.

Harmony recognises the place. "These are the neanderthal ruins, troglodyte men of old who lived here even before the elves. We are not far from home, just a few miles." She runs between the stones, taking her turn now to speak of early life experiences, as the elves often visited this place. She names the stone carvings. "This was the fertility mother, that the chief, these the fat twins, that one was called Chipmunk face." Clearly, these ruins are well travelled though the original Neanderthals who were here are long gone.

Being close to home brings a spring into her step and lightens the tired mood of everyone. Wineskins get passed around as folk are thankful for a break until the sudden snapping of twigs alert the group that dangers may still lurk in the undergrowth.

Turning to face the oncoming threat, you suddenly realise your green-skinned guide has gone, without trace or noise, silently slipping into the dense forest and vanishing from sight.

Folk back together, arrows nocked, swords at the ready. Twigs snap ahead, footsteps, talking ... Elves of the Wrydwood on patrol.

actions and comments please. ask the troll Saltheart anything as you walk along or actions at the ruin.

Attachments
Neanderthal ruins near Wrydwood
Neanderthal ruins near Wrydwood
b233498d987ae18ccfdd61c97765b9f6.png (917.83 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Saltheart-Wargherald-Walks far in Hope
Saltheart-Wargherald-Walks far in Hope
trollwk1.png (489.83 KiB) Viewed 520 times

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by SilverBen »

Leibish spots the patrol ahead and turns to propose marriage to the elf maiden, "It has been a fascinating adventure, and as dangerous as the wildest tales I've heard around the campfires. Harmony, must we part here? After what we have survived and seen, my affections have grown for you. Shall I stay with you? Or depart back to the moors alone?"
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Spearmint »

I will wait on a post from Darithe then respond to your actions and comments before I summarise the expedition.

I am opening a Wrydwood location thread, which once this thread is closed I will use for some extra roleplay and discussion regarding your next choices.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid walks beside Saltheart, her natural heartiness of a northern upbringing allowing her to keep pace with the troll, at least for the most part. During their journey she will chat amiably with Saltheart, asking a bit of his history and his knowledge of the barrows. Not prying too much but genuinely interested in any knowledge he might wish to impart, continuing to speak to him in his native tongue and occasionally interspersing a bit of her own past.

At the sound of the patrol, she is surprised at how quickly and stealthily Saltheart has disappeared, but she is grateful for their talk and song and he has certainly earned the coin she gave him. She is surprised yet once more when Leibish unexpectedly proposes marriage to Harmony, something she had certainly not seen coming. Granted the elven maiden's beauty was entrancing but she must be loosing her touch to have been so blind as to not see Leibish's devotion. Perhaps their private conversations had been deeper than Sigrid had seen. She hoped the man was not rash in pleas. However, her mind raced at the thought of a chance to witness an elvish betrothal. A smile played across her face, as she listened for Harmony's response.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Spearmint »

Neanderthal Ruins, Bogtown Southwoods.

May 14th 1066.

Saltheart, the troll guides the group through dense forest, his mottled green skin blending easily among the overgrown foliage. He speaks of the woods and mountains giving the impression he has wandered far and wide though his specific knowledge his limited. He knows if the Saurons' stating he does not usually intrude upon their territory. He has not been to the Barrow Mounds but his earlier lament concerning his kin,
he gestured towards the Barrow Moor, he comments about 'those who have snared my kind' capturing them in vain imaginations.
suggesting that trolls are being recruited or converted by the devilish sects that dwell among the tombs. It seems to irk his ire, that his troll kin are so easily seduced by promises of gold, power or violence.

He speaks of sojourning to 'groves in the forest' which may be those sacred places linked to Herne or Silvanus as trolls themselves, by his testimony do not worship the gods.

During the break at the ruin, among the squat statues and fallen arches, he is able to silently slip away.

"Elves, a patrol of the Wrydwood " comes the shout. The men appear and greet you, discovering one of their own in Harmony.

The final trek is easily travelled, well worn deer paths. By early evening, the hidden vale is reached and you enter the Wrydwood commune.

and here, concludes the side expedition, A Destiny with Harmony.

further dialogue and roleplay can continue in the thread Settlement: Wrydwood.

Hag Barrow to Wrydwood.

Summary of expedition experience points award:

Creatures encountered:

Axe Beak, 1 x slain +80xp
Aquatic Ogre, slain +190xp
Land Lampreys, x6 +216xp
Hobgoblins x4 +128xp
Troll, (Saltheart-Wargherald) +525xp

Locations:

Saving Greenleigh and meeting Bjornark
Crossing hemp bridge
Bogtown location, meeting Sylvester.
Neanderthal ruin
Arriving in Wrydwood.

Combined +160xp

Total expedition XP: 1299, divided by full shares to each player character and a 1/2 share to Harmony as an NPC. (I have not assigned XP to the hired Mercenaries.). Rounded up to 1,300 XP each full character share is worth 520xp and each player also receives a bonus +100xp participation reward.

Leibish and Sigrid each receive +620xp. Please adjust your character sheets with the award. Congratulations to Sigrid who advances to 2nd level.

any last expedition thoughts and comments here.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by SilverBen »

Spearmint wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:15 pm ...Leibish and Sigrid each receive +620xp Please adjust your character sheets with the award. Congratulations to Sigrid who advances to 2nd level.
Character sheet updated.

Spearmint and Darithe, thank you both for a good adventure with amazing narrative. I remove my proverbial hat and genuflect to Darithe for meeting the quality of narrative Spearmint set up in this adventure. I wasn't capable of that and it was really impressive to see unfold with Sigrid "taming the troll."

For Leibish, I imagine he would have been smitten by Harmony at this point of their journey, if not earlier. I only suggested the marriage proposal in my post as a natural next step in his character arc. Afterall, he's young, single, and an aspiring adventurer - she's a beautiful elf maiden. What could possibly disrupt their love, eh? But, if you're not prepared for such a heavy topic or stakes, I am not locked into that plot line. You could simply have her decline (or rudely reject) his proposal and we'll take another path.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Spearmint »

I will give Harmony's response. I scripted it and then forgot to put it in the draft edit which as you can see gets posted well into midnight hours.

Anyway. I will update later that scene.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Spearmint »

"It has been a fascinating adventure, and as dangerous as the wildest tales I've heard around the campfires. Harmony, must we part here? After what we have survived and seen, my affections have grown for you. Shall I stay with you? Or depart back to the moors alone?"
Leibish is overcome with emotion as much as Harmony is at the appearance of the Wrydwood patrol. Perhaps he senses they will be suddenly wrenched apart after the short but intense time they have had together.

He kneels, offering his bow, his hand, his heart. He has no ring or diadem but offers all he has and is; blurting out a sudden proposal, the words boldly spoken and arrowed as keenly as any shaft loosed unrestrained with passion from his bow, these words alive with flame. You would say that it is the archer who is all aquiver.

Fenton and Milner hold their bows to their cheeks, playing an arrow across the string as one might serenade upon a violin. Sigrid suppresses her surprise, biting her lips not knowing whether to laugh or smile.

The gesture takes Harmony and the GM), by surprise and she is momentarily speechless. The entrance of the patrol breaks the ice and it is into their arms that she runs.

Leibish is left in the uncomfortable silence of his own thoughts, perhaps considering slinking off into the forest as the warty troll did a moment earlier. He rises to shuffle his feet.

"No, do not return now. The settlement is but an hour away and there is much to talk about. Come, follow." one of the patrol insists and they set about turn, tracing their steps upon a wider deer path leading to Wrydwood.

In time Harmony siddles alongside Leibish and in hushed conversation shares.

"You have my mind a flutter, I hardly know what to say. I had in my mind you were with Sigrid. See how tall and lithe she is, a she-wolf painted to be both fierce and beautiful.

She has no feelings for you?"
You casually look over your shoulder at the mage who has slowed her walk, dropping back a few steps with the mercenaries to give your words some personal space.

It is hard for half-elven, torn between races. Feet in both camps but often feeling that you never quite truly belong in either. A balance in life and finding lasting love, other half-elven aside is as tricky a navigation as trekking the moor. The pervading mist swirls just as thickly with issues of the heart.

"I cannot say. My hand is not mine to give."
she says, slipping a hand into yours to reassure you. Considering the challenge of the last few days and her time in captivity, you can imagine the whole scenario is quite overwhelming for her.

"I have to warn you. I have heard that relationships based on intense experiences never work."

and bonus XP to name where this quote comes from.

Nearing the settlement the elves blow a ramshorn bugle to announce their return. As the community gathers, she runs into her parents arms. The quartet of adventurers feted and welcomed.

post any Expedition related comments, questions, thoughts here. Otherwise continue to roleplay in the Wrydwood: general location thread.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by Darithe »

"I have to warn you. I have heard that relationships based on intense experiences never work."

"OK. We'll have to base it on sex then."

Darithe who loves her Sandra Bullock movies.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Spearmint »

+25xp for the Speedy response

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I see what you did there. :lol:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Spearmint »

This expedition has concluded with the safe return of Harmony to Wrydwood though that is not the end for some.

Roleplay will continue in the Wyrdwood and Helix settlement threads and I will close this.

Thank you both, it was an interesting trek with some difficult encounters or decisions.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”