Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

#221 Post by Urson »

Joker
Cool:3 +2BP [4d6]=12 ghost [1d6]=6

Joker moved slowly toward the front of the church, the opressive nature of the place added to by his own distaste for abandoned, decaying buildings.

Cool +2 BP[4d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=1

Your pardon, Amca dayı, I did not hear you come in. I- I have an appointment to meet Rahip... Umm Father Belmont. I am Dzhokhar Jelal.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Bluehorse »

Joker can feel his heart quickening as he nears the church... it gets worse once he is inside and is surprised by the old man as is properly reflected in his struggles to stick to English. Great roleplay!

The Old man gives him a big of a stink eye as he begins speaking but then mumbles something to himself? and waves him into the church, proper and motions to one of the pews. Sit where you like, I will go get him. Takes a minute, I'm old. with that he shuffles off towards the back of the church and enters one of the doors on the side of the front area leading into the back rooms. It is Joker, alone in the room again with what is reportedly a demon-possessed cross. What could possibly go wrong?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker takes a seat about halfway back on the left. Despite his unease, he's eager to get a look at the readings. He pulls out his phone as soon as possible.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Bluehorse »

Joker takes out his phone and it is clearly reading that he is in the wrong right place. The readings are clear and the ambient energies are saturated with negative energy, showing it isn't just his imagination running away with him. The numbers match. Analyzing the numbers it is easy to see there is something necrotic in quality to the energy. It has been here a long time and has done a lot of damage to the surroundings. It makes one wonder what would happen to someone in close proximity to such a field of energy for a long period of time.

What can I do for you?

You never noticed the old severe visage of Father Belmont sitting beside him staring with those deep-set dark eyes. You never heard him arrive nor did you feel him sit down beside you. You can feel the cold radiating off of him and from that hateful stare.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker startles at Belmont's sudden apearance. Oh- excuse me, sir. I didn't see you there. He offers a handshake.
I am Dzhokhar Jelal. Thank you for meeting with me. I wanted to have a face-to-face dialog with you about yourself and the Ghostbusters. I am angry that you chose to call out our secretary in particular. She's a good woman, and she doesn't deserve to be publicly shamed or insulted.
In truth, she is just our secretary. If you felt the need to attack someone, you would do better to come after the actual 'Busters, rather than the young woman who keeps our files in order, balances our checkbook, and makes sure the lights are on.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Bluehorse »

Father Belmont

The perpetually angry-looking old man never once offers to take Joker's hand and instead sits there staring unblinkingly through his spectacles, judging him as he speaks. Once he is done: Dzhokhar Jelal... he say slowly and deliberately as if testing the word. That is an Arab name, is it not? Why do you come here? To insult the judgment of a sinner? Do you place yourself so high as to think you are qualified to appeal the judgment of The Rood?

You think I am not coming after you? I am coming at you even now. You charlatans and your lies. No, Mr. Jelal. I am coming at you the most effective way I can. I am aiming right at your heart.

You have two choices... Got kneel before The Rood and give over yourself to it, begging for forgiveness... Or walk out that door and into the maul of damnation.

Please roll hard cool.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Urson »

Joker
Cool :3 [2d6]=7 ghost [1d6]=1

Joker recognizes this tactic- Mom's father used it all the time. Loads of questions, so you can't focus on one topic.

First of all, sir- I am an atheist. Please do not try to manipulate me with religion.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:42 pm Joker
Cool :3 [2d6]=7 ghost [1d6]=1
Something...

Happens...

Joker feels a sharp stab of cold right into the middle of his chest like a dagger made of pure ice were suddenly sunk directly into his chest and he can feel something very similar seeping into several points around his head like ice water dripping into the sides of his skull. The room feels darker, colder, and there is a heavy smell of decay and smoke.

When he looks on Father Belmont he seems different as well, like the shadows are drawn in on him more as even the outside like feels muted and distorted somehow. Joker hears his voice as deeper, more resonating, and can hear it as much in his head as he does from Belmont's actual voice. I'll take that as a first confession... A disbeliever by your own words. A disappointment to your people... to your family... the earth and church around you rumbles like thunder and rolling stones down a mountainside. The rumble of this voice is impossible. Give me more... tell me about all your sins... You're PKE app on your phone is going nuts down.
Lose 43bp from psychic/spiritual damage plus the 10 you have spent so far.

Make another Hard Cool. If you succeed, it hurts, but you can act freely. If you fail, it still hurts, but I need you to wait for me to tell you what happens before you do anything besides this:

Should you fail the roll, I am going to give you a 50-50 chance to get out of there or try to. So you will roll a d6, Even, you are Belmont/Kindle's toy for another round. Odd, you can try to get out of there, saying your instinct for self-preservation kicks in, but it will be a Hard Moves since you are freaking out. Should you exit the church, the scene for the most part is over other than you can get home to the Firestation and report what happened. We will keep that in this thread if you and the others want to make a conversation of it or we can just call this one closed since at this point you can confirm more than ever what is going on there.

I am also going to update your BP on the other thread once this one is closed as well as post it here now.

-53bp from rolls and damage

Brownie Point Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 527/584

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Urson »

Joker Daaaamn... :shock:
Cool 3 [2d6]=11 ghost [1d6]=3

I'm guessing this is a failure, too.
[1d6]=5
Moves 2:[1d6]=1 ghost [1d6]=3

IF I'm understanding the mechanics right, Joker is shocked and rattled to his core- and runs from the place at top speed. He'll keep running for at least a half mile, and then slow to a fast walk. When he finds a diner or fast-food place (he needs to be around people), he'll go in and call for an Uber.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Bluehorse »

Yikes! That is some bad luck man. You were right about he escaped another attack and tried to get out, but failing the moves roll you don't quite make it, but it is not a full fail since you didn't roll a ghost. I am going to say that you are stumbling trying to get out so there will be one more round.
But that certainly states your intent which I believe is on par for what is going on here.

Joker can feel there is something so very wrong about this and so far beyond what he is ready to handle right now, especially without any kind of protection against the demon's well established influence and direct presence here. He moves to get out of the church but finds Belmont has him blocked in from the isle. In his panicked state, he tries to simply hop the pew but stumbles on his way and goes off balance, not quite falling as he heads for the door.

When he looks back (because you always look back) he sees Belmont standing and facing him, his eyes aglow with internal fire of orange and red, they radiate light but no heat even through it feels like he is now cloaked in shadows and flame. You would swear you see him standing tall and looming over you, and the power pulsing from him is erratic and fills your senses like you were within the very violence of a raging storm. His voice fills your ears and mind, but it is not his. Come back. Come back and confess. Lay yourself before The Rood. All hope is lost here. There is only giving yourself over to The Rood.

So, just like before. You need to roll a Hard Cool, this one to resist him establishing anther link with you to do more damage, which will be...
Guilt Attack [10d6]=24 if you cannot resist it.

If you do, I am going to say you make it out since you are already stumbling towards the door, if not. Ouch.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Urson »

Joker
[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=4 This is assuming he can spend a couple of BP
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:22 pm Joker
[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=4 This is assuming he can spend a couple of BP
That is correct. You can always spend whatever you like, and as much as you have, you can afford it, just make sure that if you say, lose half your BP that means you put in enough effort or went through enough of an ordeal that you are literally "Half Spent" from it. It is literally your HP and Spell Slots, or however you want to call it all wrapped up into one bundle. Putting extra effort into something cost you that same extra something in stress etc since you are pushing yourself.

In this case, since this scene will be directly tied into the next one, I will be carrying over what happens and resolving your spending on the Historic Site thread, since I don't expect you to be able to get a decent rest etc between and for easier bookkeeping if I am being 100% honest. But the good news is with big risk come bigger rewards, so this will pay off in the end.

Joker can feel those icy edges pressing into his head and chest and almost manages to resist it before they break through once more and he can feel the horror of another presence there, digging up memories of guilt and pulling them to the surface, amplifying them. There... There it is...

So. Tell us a quick story of something Joker is guilty about.

-2bp spent on the roll
-24bp to psychic/spiritual damage

Brownie Point Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 501/584

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Urson »

Yeah- gonna need a minute on this one...
FA FO

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker shivers, feeling dirty fingers driving deep into his memories.

Ten Forward...that's what they called it... He'd been 17 at the time, sure that he was immortal, and that whatever he decided to do was alright. It had been Ahmet's idea, but Dzhokhar had been the one to put the thing together. An RC vehicle base, with a small camera. They had gotten it into the air ducts at the Bayanın Gururu clothing store, and then guided it to look through the ventilator in the changing room.
"Visiting Ten Forward" they had called it- naturally, given how enamored they had been with STNG- and they had used it for at least 3 days before Dzhokhar's morals had overridden his urge to watch women in their underwear. He'd retrieved the camera, and buried the whole thing half a mile outside town....

Joker's cheeks burn, remembering...
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Bluehorse »

The guilt physically hurts, but Joker has made it to the door leading out all the same. Just as he opens it, and begins to escape, it is like he is trying to crawl through cold molasses. Some invisible effect is attempting to hold him here, or perhaps he is just too weak. It would be so easy to just give in and....

He breaks through. On the other side of the threshold, it is like waking up to a new world, first thing in the morning. He can breathe again. He didn't even realize he was holding his breath. Joker finds he can move freely but there is still that sense of foreboding behind him, just the physical pressure is gone now that he is outside again, and everything in his most base of instincts screams for him to run as the most primitive lizard part of his brain takes over and sends him running until he is not even sure where he is anymore. All that matters is he can look around and see sunshine and people.

He stands outside a very old diner and the smell of tobacco smoke and coffee flood the air as an older couple walk out.

Once inside and seated, he sees a menu with the address and he is able to get a very nice cup of black coffee to calm his nerves. No one even minds when he fires up one of his cigars. Eventually, the lizard brain begins to hand back over more control to the more sophisticated somewhat hairless big brain monkey brain we call human and Joker can begin to focus again.

Actions or close? Either is fine here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker takes a little while to regroup and calm down. Two cups of coffee and the greasiest hamburger he's ever enjoyed, and then he Ubers back to the Firehouse.
He looks at the data he's collected on his phone, and wonders about defending against the Demon's attack.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Bluehorse »

Starting Brownie Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 580/584
-9 Spent on Rolls
-70 Loss to Damage

Partial Success = 100% spending rewarded back.

+9 from Rolls.

Damage will take longer to heal. You're pretty emotionally/spiritually drained at the moment.

Gained information on Kindle and Belmont: I will wait further until the end for this award. No doubt you took a hit for the team here, but giving it to you would negate some of the damage you are suffering from at the moment. I will close this thread for now and leave it in the bottom section of the game forum for reference. Once this is more wrapped up I will go back and retroactively make sure everyone is awarded accordingly since this has been back and forth for an extended period of real-life time.

Ending Brownie Pool
Brownie Point Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 510/584

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Urson »

works for me.
FA FO

Return to “Mission Archive”