Finding the right multi-genre game mechanics

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Finding the right multi-genre game mechanics

#1 Post by Leitz »

I'm happy with the level based increased survivability in AD&D, but don't care for the "you only learn if you kill and steal" nature of experience points. I really enjoy the skill based systems like Traveller/Cepheus Engine, where you can learn skills and such without "adventuring." Pay some cash, spend the time, and there you go.

What I'm really trying to find is a game mechanic where those two ideas mesh. GURPS and the Hero System aren't too bad, but GURPS really doesn't seem to do superheroes or space well. Hero system is cool, as long as you don't mind starting from scratch every time.

Thoughts?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Finding the right multi-genre game mechanics

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pm I'm happy with the level based increased survivability in AD&D, but don't care for the "you only learn if you kill and steal" nature of experience points.
I very much want to avoid this as well and, while it's not perfect, until I devise a better solution I have switched the games I run to a milestone advancement system.

Once certain objectives have been met, the entire group will advance. It doesn't matter if anything or everything was killed in their path, it's the objective that matters.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

The Dungeon Craft is my favorite YouTube channel of late, and he has a video where he shares how he handles experience points and leveling up.

It's an extremely simple system that I'm definitely thinking of borrowing for my next game:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Okay, I need to go watch this. Thanks!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

dmw71 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 pm The Dungeon Craft is my favorite YouTube channel of late, and he has a video where he shares how he handles experience points and leveling up.

It's an extremely simple system that I'm definitely thinking of borrowing for my next game:
Very nice! I'd make 1st -> 2nd 5 XP in his system, and not max out hit points. I like the mid-levels, say 5-8-ish, for some interesting character challenges. In the 9-12 range it starts to get organizational, and that's a different challenge set.

Still not sure how to blend this with a skill system.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

In theory, given modern or sci-fi settings, most people won't go beyond first or second "level". In the D&D sense, a level denotes things like combat survivability and the ability to channel greater mystic power. It also links skills to levels, but that's the link I'm trying to disconnect. Someone could study rock-climbing and lock-picking and be a pretty decent "rogue/thief". Or they could do a lot of SCA style fighting but never have been in a life or death sword fight.

If you take those two "characters", and assume they can make the mental transition (pass their morale check), they would be much better off than the average person who has done neither of those. They could be second level and have a much higher survivability rate. But they could also have other skills, similar to Traveller or Basic Role Playing (BRP).

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

I’ve found BRP to be good in crossing genres with its skill based system. It’s what I’m using in my 2112: The Prog Rock RPG, where the characters are rock musicians and genres will be crossed. Rather than XP, the successful use of a skill gives one the opportunity to improve it. BRP is taken to more sophisticated levels within Chaosium’s various games, but can also be used in its simple form for multi-genre. That simplicity is a plus for me compared to the complex GURPs.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by cybersavant »

best multi-genre => TORG, or the reboot TORG Eternity
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

Tunnel Goons, or 2400 - either works well across a broad spectrum of settings.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

I don't really have an answer for this yet, but an idea started forming in the clouded recesses of my mind.

In AD&D (1st) PCs can have skills. So you run the PCs as AD&D and add BRP style skills. I'm particularly thinking of something like a 1632 based game where modern-ish people go back into a feudal or renaissance Europe. The risk, of course, is that I'm not a historian so my accuracy would be inaccurate. :)

In theory most non-spell casting classes would be easy, but without serious work a PC would be 1st level. If someone was a HEMA fighter with actual combat (military, big city police) experience, though, that would be possible. Monotheism is the order of the era, but a cleric could progress. A war time chaplain may even be higher than first level. Not sure on druids. So far I'm seeing two genres of wizards; the first is a non-magical technician who can replicate spell effects through technology. The other option would be someone who had distant fae blood and the temporal transition activated it.

PCs would start out with a few benefits; things like "great stats", "extra level", "Professional Skills", "Senior Skill (2pts)", or "Resource to be Determined (RtbD)". Maybe a two point cost "Major Resource to be Determined "MRtbD)". Give each PC three points and see what happens. A professional skill would be 50% plus stat mods, and a senior professional skill would be 75%+. Standard modern gear available, an RtbD might be the local pharmacy transferred intact and stocks are full. A MRtbD could be the same pharmacy but the delivery truck was unloading when things went sideways, and now stock levels are really good.

This would combine the AD&D survivability with non-class based skills. Not sure it would work at all, but it's been fun typing through.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by gurusql »

Being a HERO guy myself, I would naturally point you towards HERO. There are multiple pre-defined magic systems and lists of magic items that have different game effects vs AD&D. HERO out of the box without having classes at all allows you have have a thief that cannot pick pockets, but is very good at opening locks as an example. If you want to have a "predefined" class or race you can make a package deal. The big change is that game balance comes with points not built-in restrictions to races.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

Hero is a cool system, I started with the old blue Champions book in the early '80's and enjoyed it. Of course, everything back then was like Traveller; the rules were frameworks and you needed to put a lot of thought into building everything. A few years ago I was in a Lucha Libre game based off of 5th edition, I need to go find that character. He was pretty fun.

I also like the original 7th Sea, the Roll and Keep system. However, the magic system in that, uh, no.

Return to “RPG theory”