How Far is TOO Far?

Ithril
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

How Far is TOO Far?

#1 Post by Ithril »

In speaking with another player the topic of Reality/Grit/Adult limits came up. Naturally this is a fantasy game we are playing for enjoyment, and though my villains need to have some evil motives, traits, and methods, I need to know if there is anything that anyone will find personally offensive. Granted a number of them will have evil motives, traits and methods that are fantastic, imaginary, and impossible in the real world, and I plan to exploit those as fully as possible, but that can only be part of the story.

As far as 'Adult' content, I see no reason to include subjects of an explicit sexual nature. Therefore, though a bigbad may be guilty of rape (for instance), there's no need to be explicit about it. Other sexual situations may be handled in a similar way, and tactfully alluded to.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

Re: How Far is TOO Far?

#2 Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah this is why Harker was so eagar to find the lady as fast as possible to protect her honor from the vile abductors who likely have no plans to actually give her back ~ ransom of no. He did not want to wait the night but I guess I miscommunicated his intent.
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

Hard to answer this, but evil motives, traits and methods - no problem.

If someone wanted to post an explicit rape story describing the pain and brutality - WAY TOO FAR.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ithril »

gurusql wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:47 am.

If someone wanted to post an explicit rape story describing the pain and brutality - WAY TOO FAR.
What I said bears repeating:
Ithril wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:50 am As far as 'Adult' content, I see no reason to include subjects of an explicit sexual nature. Therefore, though a bigbad may be guilty of rape (for instance), there's no need to be explicit about it. Other sexual situations may be handled in a similar way, and tactfully alluded to.
So I'm asking specifically about any other hard lines.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ravenn4544 »

The two examples above are well articulated and I agree fully. They are a no go. The bad guy may be guilty of it, but I don't want to read about the actual event in detail.

The gory dream sequence recently posted is no biggie for me. The above examples? nope.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

I don't know how to answer a hypothetical, except with this two part test that has always done well for me.
  1. Would I be OK with a major newspaper posting a story on my post?
  2. Would I be OK with my grandmother reading the post?
I have read posts in this forum that have attempted to be just making an off hand remark and in doing so put down an entire class of people. If that is the direction that you are going I would say still to far.

The simple fact that you are worried about it COULD mean that it is to far in YOUR book, or at the very least getting close to the line.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Ithril »

Those are good points, Gurusql. I will keep them in mind.

I wouldn't intentionally insult classes or races of people, certainly. Except maybe orcs, goblins etc. Those are fair game naturally, because they have no real-world counterparts, and I will generally avoid giving any fantastic race stereotypes based on a particular race, which I think is nearly as bad (And it's lazy story telling imho. Star Trek, I'm looking at you).

I'll leave this topic up for any comments or recommendations, or if anything comes up that you feel needs to be mentioned.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ithril »

G.png
G.png (643.61 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”