• Map Making: 15
    • Riding: 10
    • Swimming: 20
    • Trap Set/Disarm:10
  • Knowledge:+5 / +5
    • Evaluate Treasure:10
    • Speak: -
      • Sartarite: 75 - a.k.a. Southern Theyalan...written in Cat Scratching
      • Old Pavic: 5 - Related to Sartarite and Auld Wyrmish...written in Cat Scratching
      • New Pelorian: 5 - a.k.a Lunar...Written in Pelorian
      • Boatspeech: 5 - a.k.a. Riverspeech...Unwritten
      • Praxian: 5 - a.k.a. Nomad...Unwritten.
      • Stormspeech: 7 - a.k.a. Orlanthi...Related to Sartarite...Written in Cat Scratching
      • Tradespeech: 5 - Related to Sartarite...written in Cat Scratching
      • Tarshite: 5 - Related to New Pelorian
      • Aldryami: 5 - a.k.a. Elvish.
      • Auld Wyrmish: 5 - a.k.a. Dragontongue.
      • Darkspeech: 5 - a.k.a. Trollish
      • Firespeech: 5
      • Mostali: 5 - a.k.a. Dwarvish
    • Read/Write Murnulvretan: 15 - a.k.a. "Cat Scratching"
  • Other
    • Oratory: 5
    • Singing: 5
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 20 times in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Equipment

#2 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Starting Gear
Clothing
Tunic (Embroidered Silk)
Belt knife [1d4] {12HP}
Breeches/kilt (Embroidered Silk)
Underwear (loin cloth)
Sandals/boots
Warm cloak/coat (Embroidered and Trimmed)
Headgear/hat/cap (Embroidered)

Miscellaneous
Fire making gear

Armour
Chainmail hauberk with sleeves [5]
Chainmail trews [5]
Closed helm [6]

Weapons
Short Sword [1d6+1] {20HP}
Bastard Sword [1d10+1] {20HP}
Dual Swords.jpg
Dual Swords.jpg (5.05 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Mount
A riding animal - Type TBC

Lands
Land yielding a notional 1840L/Annum
  • (n.b. This would be 46 Hides per RQ:G)
Purchased Gear
Riding Equipment
Saddle & Bridle
  • Saddle Tree
  • Horn
  • Reinforced rigging for Shooting and Roping
  • Styrups
  • Girth and Breastcollar
Saddle-Pack [Backpack+Adventurer's Pack]
Saddle Blanket
Hobble
Bow-Holster/Quiver
Bow Holster and Quiver.jpg
Bow Holster and Quiver.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Lariat
Wineskin
Water Bottle
Lariat and Water-Bottle.png
Lariat and Water-Bottle.png (109.72 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Armour
Leather hauberk [2] with sleeves [1]
Leather trews [1]
Composite Helm [3]
Plate Greaves [6]

Weapons
Dagger [1d4+2] {12HP}
Throwing Dagger [1d4] {12HP}
Composite Bow [1d8=1]
20 barbed War Arrows
- Saffron Dyed Fletching
20 Miscellaneous Arrows (Hunting, Signal, Bunt, Bodkin & Fishing.)
- Saffron Dyed Fletching with Red, White, Black, Green and Blue marks. The fishing arrow has twine attached.
- Different chording/nocking by type

Jewellery
Pendent Earrings (5L)
Necklace (10L)
Rings (20L)
Bracelets (40L in total)
Cloak Brooch (50L)

Posh Clothing
Formal Dress (Embroidered) (50L)
Formal headdress (50L)

Miscellaneous
Belt with Buckle

Belt Pouch
Bison Horn Trumpet
Over-Shoulder Scabbard for Bastard Sword {12HP}
Scabbard for Short Sword {10 HP}
Scabbard for Dagger
Riding Boots (scabbard for Throwing Dagger in top)

Bag of Chalk

Bag of Toiletries
Cooking and Eating Gear
  • Spoon
  • Bowl
  • Cooking Pot
  • Drinking Horn
  • etc.
Hide Blanket

Transport
Boat
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Background Info

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Who Am I? Who is my Family? What is my past?
Family
See also here
The Illynome are my family - like it or not. They are not one of the great families of the Zola Fel but they are one of the old families and they are one of the rich families.
My grandparents were (on father's side) The Illynome (Died 1612 when attacked by a Cliff Toad) and a scribe (Fenela) from Pavis.
My mother's parents were a Farmer (Leika) from the Wide Wash and a Warrior (Toras) from the Plains of Prax. Toras died, fighting valiantly against the Lunars, during Starbrow's Rebellion in 1613 having, earlier, fought in the Holy Country in 1597 and the battle of Moonbroth in 1610.

My parents are The Illynome (after 1612) and a Herder (Saberak). They declined to join the White Bull in 1616 as it would have endangered the Wide Wash too much - and found themselves out of favour with both the Lunars (because they were anti-Lunar Sartarites) and the Praxian Tribes (because they were pro-Lunar).
Pavis Runes.jpg
Pavis Runes.jpg (3.76 KiB) Viewed 649 times
The Father is a citizen of Pavis - although only nominally at present. The family have supplied priests historically, but not these days: too close to the hated Lunars.
Close Family Structure.jpg
Close Family Structure.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Oh yes, I'm the middle child of a small family. There are some other offspring - but they are not formally acknowledged.

My elder brother (Harmast) will be The Illynome after my father - assuming he survives - and my elder sister (Andretta) is a hunter - of animals and hearts!
And there is the new-wife (Berra) of my father and her brats (Onelisen and Venharl). She is a wily witch crafter and they are too young to have decided what they are - they are 10 and 11 years younger than me.

Early Childhood
My Father was determined that I should be born in Pavis. I'm not sure that the Gods were. And so, with "Plenty of time" to go, the family were packed into boats and set off for the city. What my father hadn't prepared for was that it rained - and blew - and one thing after another that delayed the convoy such that my mother was in labour before we entered the gates and I was born in the back of a litter on Dwarf Street. All very undignified, with "Dwarf Street" being cited for the reason why I'm so small compared to my parents and siblings.

It was decided to cover all the political bases with my naming. Fenela: An old Pavis name and the name of one of my grandmothers. Deezola: One of the seven mothers and a nod to the Lunars - A Queen no less. Sunbright: A direct reference to the Light and pleasing to the Sun-Domers. I'm not sure he didn't just alienate all the groups by not picking one!

The journey and labour and rain appear to have got to my mother. She became gravely ill with childbed fever, and even the graces of the Temple of Chalana Arroy were unable to return her to her former self. My father blamed me for his wife's change from bright and lively to sad and quiet. She eventually succumbed to the wet-season coughs when I was six. I still recall the day, ten years ago, when we were called to her room - dark and full of incense and strange magics - to witness the pale shadow of a woman slip from the world one slow breath after another until she breathed no more. I still treasure those times when, before she died, I could sneak into her room, lie on her bed (surrounded by her ladies) and listen to the stories of the clan's history; its heroines and their trials, tribulations and final victories.

Neglect & Education
As "the child that killed my father's love" I had been out of favour. With her death my position deteriorated and I was basically ignored. This actually worked out OK. No one said: "Don't practice with a sword"; "Don't run about town"; "Stay indoors and embroider". And so I got to sit in with the boys' tutors, or not, and to hang out with "all-sorts". Unlike my elder siblings, no one cared provided I didn't draw attention to the house. Unlike them I didn't go everywhere with guards and entourage and sycophants.

For some years I hung about at the Earth Temple and sort of followed Voria - all flowers and small animals. As saffron growers, the attachment to flowers was considered appropriate.
The attachment Voria Runes.jpg is no longer available
I was, of course, a member of Zola Fel - you have to be to get between our estates and the city.
Zola Fel Runes.jpg
Zola Fel Runes.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 665 times
It was said that, with my attractions to both Earth and Water, that explained my attraction to Mud!

After my mother's death, my life became obsessed by the end of life. The transition from living to dead. Not the ending of life, but the loss of it - the truth of it. Trying to make sense of what had happened.

Becoming Whitesmoke
The name "Whitesmoke" was bestowed on me by some caravan guards. While on the annual move from the city back to the country estate (Unusually, we were travelling by road), the guards had become concerned that the caravan was being stalked. As a consequence, the fires were carefully banked and guards were standing watch. As a helpful child, I had gathered fuel from the surrounds - and it dropped it too near the fire. As this went up in flames, it generated a huge cloud of white smoke that completely negated the care that everyone had taken in hiding the camp. It was not all bad however - The smoke drifted up the nearby arroyo, and unexpected sounds of coughing were heard from a previously undiscovered group of trackers. There was a brief clash of arms and a hurried move by night and everyone got away unscathed - except for me...I became "Whitesmoke"!

"Are we being watched...no idea - send for Whitesmoke - she'll find them!"

I now wear the name with pride (what you can't change, you may as well live with). And having an acknowledged Nomad name (to go with the others) has been handy since.

Household Service
My father found a new wife. Unfortunately, she wasn't as negligent of me as my father. Wanting "the other wife's brat" out of the house, I was shipped off to act as ladies companion with the Indagos - an Old Pavis family convinced the Big Rubble should be integrated into the Empire under Pavis' administration. I mean, like the Lunars would let that would happen! I managed to keep out of the sight of the ladies most of the time - When I could, I got out but that was something I now had to be careful about - the youths now had a nasty gang and were led by a Vicious Lunar from the Patroma family. I spent a lot of time with the Lady and her Guard (an Earth Cult Guardian type - Babeester Gor) heading about the markets in Pavis, visiting the other families, oozing through the upper strata of the town - making small-talk with the invaders and smiling at their wit.

The deceit of all this eventually got to me. My declaring that I was a lay member of Humakt was something of a shock to the families. Fortunately, a Centurion tended to call: and saying "No" to a Centurion wasn't something the Indagos were willing to try for a young waiting woman - no matter what her pedigree. And my stepmother seemed happy that I might go off and get killed!
Humakt Runes.jpg
Humakt Runes.jpg (4.79 KiB) Viewed 697 times
What is my homeland? Who are my people? What other lands do I know? Who are their people?
Home
My homeland is the Wide Wash in the County of Pavis, with homes in the City of Pavis and in Illynome at the foot of the valley on the Zola Fel. I know well the Zola Fel's middle reach in between as we would frequently travel between the two locations: The Wash for the Planting and Harvest, the City for the Markets and the People and the connections.
Illynome Locations.jpg
Illynome Locations.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 633 times
My people, those our family lead, are the the Spice Farmers and their kin from Sartar's Balmyr Tribe. We sought to escape the growing threat of the Lunar empire and heeded Dorasar's call in 1550-51: Crossing the wastes of Prax to settle in our side-valley of the Zola Fel. Here we, under the guidance of my great-great grandparent, created our home and started growing the saffron that is the foundation of our financial strength. We have forged a deep connection to the Wide Wash and are now part of the fabric of the land there. Our blood has watered the land, our backs have tilled it, or ancestors have been buried under it.

Other Places & People
The Tribes of Prax (well the Bisons and Impalas in particular) come to our village and trade for dyes. We have always been careful not to block the herds from the waters and some sons and daughters have married into those clans over the years. I have cousins who ride amongst the Nomads - and move across the plains was the wind takes them.

The Garhounds are an old clan, and they have married into our clan and we into theirs. And the Ingilli on the river. There are connections up and down the valley amongst the old families: Both Love matches and Feuds - and even some that are both at the same time!

Southward down the valley, on the other side of the river, is the Sundome Temple. They are a separate culture in many ways and have supported the Lunar Invasion over the Sartarite interests. As major consumers of the yellow dye, they are the clan's major nearby market.

And everywhere in the valley are the Lunars themselves. They have many troops who "Keep the Peace" and have disturbed the settled order of recent centuries with their new Moon. We came here to avoid them, and they came here too! As major suppliers of Saffron, the family has to deal with them (but carefully lest we all get murdered in our beds while some Lunar Noble takes up the trade in order to add an additional small income to their already huge wealth).

What work do I do? How do I spend my time?
TBC
My time has been dependent upon the needs of The Illynome - traversing between City and Valley - alternating between Agricultural and Political.
At Illynome

The female children's bedroom at Illynome. My sister's bed was in the corner you can't see. Of course, if the family had guests, we would be moved to mats on the floor of another room!

The Men's room at the Illynome house...Into which I rarely went, and then only by invitation - usually for the delivery of bad news or to receive punishment.
TBC
In Pavis
TBC

What do I value? Who do I serve? What do I hope for?
Above all I value life. The Truth of it. The Cycle of it. It's beginnings and its endings. How life is lived, its honour and dignity, and how the end is faced: these things I value.
TBC

What things are Good? What things are Evil? Who are my Friends? Who are my Enemies?
Good and Evil
The Crocus and Grains are what is good. The purple of their flowers and the gold of the grains at harvest
And the people that work so hard to nurture them.
And the rains and streams that let them live.

The blights and diseases that cripple, blind, and slowly drain. The senseless slaughter of the innocent in their quiet farms by the forces of chaos. The deliberate torture of the land and its creatures and people. These are evils.

Friends and Enemies
The River has been our friend - it provides water and transport and its valleys sheltered us.

The Bison and Impala People have been our friends, they defended us - and we helped them against the Lunars. But friendship has its costs. We fought and lost against the Lunar Empire at the Battle of Moonbroth. Since then we do not give the Lunars an excuse to persecute us.

The Sun Dome has always been an ambivalent neighbour. They have coveted the yellow of our saffron and aid the Lunars. But without them, our markets would be smaller and the riches less.

My stepmother is my rival - not because I hate her or she me, but because she sees me as a threat to her children's position. Despite being the least favourite of my father's children, I am still his child.

The "Fine Fellows" Gang are my enemies. They taunt and belittle and may even attack, torture and kill.

And the forces of Chaos...Mustn't forget them. They occasionally come and despoil the fields, blight the farmsteads and murder their inhabitants. They need no cause and take joy from evil.

Who are my Gods and how do I serve them?
TBC
: Humakt
Cults of Prax 32-38
: Zola Fel
Pavis & Big Rubble. Pages 100-103
: Pavis
Pavis & Big Rubble. Pages 91-94
A lapsed lay member. May claim various rights as the daughter of a citizen. Cannot be a citizen as she is neither a man nor the owner of the clan's house (in which she resides).
: Voria
A cult of my childhood, and now long past. It was a phase that distracted me from the loss of my mother.
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 28 times in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Temperature and Precipitation Converted to Metric

#4 Post by BackworldTraveller »

For original see Pavis & Big Rubble, Page 8
  • Season: Temp (L/H) : Rainfall : Wind Direction
  • Sea - Early: 7/24 : 25cm/21 days : SW
  • Sea - Late: 10/29 : 10cm/12 days : SW
  • Fire - Early: 18/43 : None : SW
  • Fire - Late: 10/32 : None : SW
  • Earth - Early: 10/29 : 5cm/2 days : W
  • Earth - Late: 7/24 : 7.5cm/3 days : W
  • Dark - Early: -7/18 : 5cm/4 days : NW
  • Dark - Late: -4/7 : 10cm/16 days :NW
  • Storm - Early: -1/13 : 15cm/28 days : W
  • Storm - Late: -1/18 : 25cm/25 days : W
  • Sacred Time: 4/21 : 7.5cm/9 days : W
  • Overall: -7/43 : 110cm/120 days

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Calendar

#5 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Per Cults of Prax Page 4 and Appendix E
Days of Week
  • Freezeday/Cresent
  • Waterday/Dying
  • Clayday/Black
  • Windsday/Cresent
  • Fireday/Empty Half
  • Wildday/Full
  • Godday/Full Half
Weeks of Season
  • Disorder
  • Harmony
  • Death
  • Fertility
  • Stasis
  • Movement
  • Illusion
  • Truth
Seasons of Year
  • Sea
  • Fire
  • Earth
  • Dark
  • Storm
  • Sacred-Time Half-Season

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Village of Illynome

#6 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Foundation
The Illynome were Saffron Growers in the Balmyr tribe, from Sartar, who migrated to the Zola Fel when Dorasar called for settlers to come to Pavis County. They settled on the Zola Fel and up the Wide Wash and their main home is named after their family: The Illynome.

Structure
As this is a major village on the Zola Fel the population is probably over 250 (i.e. the upper end of the range 68-309 counted people) so somewhere between 25 and 50 residences plus ancillary structures. It is a large village. As a village, it has no walls and no formal marketplace but does hold a fair at the end of the Saffron Harvest.

The village has the following structures: -
  • Noble's Estate House
  • Shrine to Ernalda
  • Farmer's Houses
    • Do the houses include Looms for weaving?
    • Given the Saffron connection, is there a bee-keeper?
    • Do the villagers run hand-querns or is there a communal press/mill?
    • Numbers TBC
  • Stabling for plough teams for nearby fields
    • Is there a Healer/Midwife for Animals/People?
    • What animals are used for ploughing?
  • Barns (Including tithe barns)
  • Grain stores
  • Well(s)
  • Sheds for Agricultural Equipment and Wagons
  • Animal Pound
    • The resident Noble is rich enough (and the population big enough) that the village can support a carpenter/boatbuilder (See note below)
From its position it is also likely to have: -
  • Landing Beach
  • River Crossing (Must be a Ferry as the cradle doesn't ground here)
  • Warehouse(s)
  • There is no listed boatbuilding at Pavis. Is Illynome a source of vessels?
  • Inn (or Sarai)
  • Tavern(s) with Brewhouses
  • Fishers Huts
    • Riverfolk
    • Technically separate from the village itself?
    • Technically transient
  • Net/Fish Drying Racks
Architecture
As farmers, and consequently followers of Ernalda and the Earth, the majority of the buildings in the village are basically square in plan. Poor properties are usually 10mx10m and more affluent ones multiples of these. Extended families may build a complex of multiple connected buildings for better mutual support and communal living.

The shrine to Ernalda is (as is often the case) a perfect cube over two above ground floors and two basement levels. Because of the local dangers, the walls of most buildings are high and with few openings.

The Manor is made of 8 blocks arranged about a central court. It is not a fortification as such, but is defensible with thick walls and no external windows that are easily accessible from the ground.

Construction
The majority of buildings are made from mud-brick with more expensive ones having stone lower courses and/or capstones (The Shrine and Manor have more extensive stonework). All are rendered to make them windproof and waterproof. Roofs are usually flat and form a functional room for drying, working, cooking, storage, etc. They may be surmounted by awnings.

Roofs are generally vaulted or (for more expensive buildings) supported by large beams.
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Title of Illynome in Prax

#7 Post by BackworldTraveller »

1st Illynome
Born in 1520 (Rakelgam) and took the title in 1550 (aged 30), eventually died (aged 60) in 1580.
Moved the clan from Sartar to Prax in 1550/51.

2nd Illynome
Born in 1540 (Harmast) and took the title in 1580 (aged 40), getting killed (aged 47) in 1587.
One sister was married into the Garhounds, a second was a priestess of Pavis, a third married into the Bison Tribe as part of a settlement of the dispute over lands and water.

3rd Illynome (Grandfather)
Born in 1559 (Terkinar) and took the title in 1587 (aged 28). Killed by a Cliff Toad (aged 53) in 1612.
Married Fenela, a scribe from Pavis

4th Illynome (Father)
Born in 1577 (Rakelgam) and took the title in 1612 (aged 35). Still alive.
Married Saberak of the Bison Tribe
At least one sister married into the tribes and has children (Fenela's cousins)

Heir Presumptive (Elder Brother)
Born after 1593. Still alive.
Family Structure.jpg
Family Structure.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Who is my family?

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Uncles, Aunts and Cousins
Father's Side
These were all born to the 3rd Illynome (Terkinar) and his wife (Fenela).
My Father (Rakelgam, later 4th Illynome) is eldest with 5 younger siblings that survived to adulthood:
  • Oldest Sister (Entika): Married into the Bison Tribe in formal alliance. Deceased and survived by her husband.
    • 3 Children
  • Oldest Brother (Harmast): Both he and his wife were killed.
    • No Children
  • Youngest Brother (Orlvatar): Unmarried
    • 1 daughter (Brynelna)
  • Middle Sister (Imara): Married
    • 5 Surviving Children
  • Youngest Sister (Erala): Unmarried
    • No Children
Mother's Side
These were all born into the Bison Tribe.
My mother (Saberak, now deceased) had 5 siblings that survived to adulthood:
  • Older Brother: Married, but his wife died
    • 5 Children
  • Older Sister: Unmarried
    • 2 Children
  • Younger Brother: Unmarried and Deceased
    • 1 Child - Brought up by Older Brother
  • Middle Sister: Unmarried
    • No Children
  • Youngest Sister: Married, but both she and her husband are dead.
    • 1 surviving child - Brought up by Husband's Older Sister
Step-Mother's Side
My stepmother (Berra) has two younger siblings that survived to adulthood -
  • Oldest Sister: Married and Deceased with surviving husband
    • No Surviving Children
  • Youngest Sister: Married and Deceased with surviving husband
    • No Children
Siblings and Half-Siblings
  • Older Brother (Harmast): Unmarried {+4 Years} Presumptive hier to the Illynome
  • Older Sister (Andretta): Unmarried {+2 Years} A Hunter
  • Younger Half-Sister (Onelisen) {-10 Years}
  • Younger Half-Brother (Venharl) {-11 Years}

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: BackworldTraveller's Background Notes

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Admin Note:
Archiving game due to GM absence... and possible abandonment.

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “Adventures in Pavis (RQII)”