OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Garrotten

#101 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moving People
Moonday, Early Evening, Clear

Theater of the Mystic

The young man speaking with Lestadt looks back at the bowl of meat scraps and the bowl of water he left on the ground. “Oh, not at all sir. We’ve finished our dinner. That’s for…..ummm. Yes, well, anyway. I haven’t seen your friends, I’m afraid. Yes, Balmorrow does own the theater, but I think you might be mistaken about seeing him in Restonford recently. Perhaps he has an impersonator? He is quite famous in these parts you know. He’s inside right now. Is he expecting you?” The man turns his head back to the house for a moment, then to the theater door he was about to enter.

Draxon and Zahra suggest walking by the dark building, but Luna feels almost at home here, greeting Wilbur as she walks up the lane to where the pair are talking. Wilbur greets the newcomers with a hint of suspicion. “Oh, hello Luna. Did you make some new friends?” Suddenly, the feint sound of a barking dog can be heard coming from the theater, causing Wilbur to look that way suspiciously.

Inside the theater, Redgrave expects foul play until Carling gets up from the hallway floor and motions him back around. Another squeaky floorboard elicits more barking from below that both trespassers now hear. On his expedited trip back through the lobby, he still doesn’t see any fliers or posters on the walls.

With a barking dog now in full throat somewhere below the floor, Carling gets to work picking the lock on the first door, hearing that satisfying click of the tumbler giving way.

Actions?

Lestadt AC:8 20/20
Redgrave AC:3 25/25
Carling AC:3 17/17
Zahra AC:5 24/24 CLW/CLW/C/DM/DM A/DC/KA/SWA
Draxon AC:5 27/27 DM/E/US ESP/K
Luna AC:7 26/26 DM/E/FF/IA/SA/SA C/CM/CLW/T NP/P/SS

The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern

Ashley looks around while Zap tells this stranger everything he knows about the murder they were secretly investigating for Pelltar. Priska seems genuinely surprised about the news of the Barons death, almost astounded actually. “You don’t say. Well, that is really something isn’t it? So, of the three suspects, who do you think did the dirty deed?”

The House of Abraham grounds are simple, but well tended. A corral and barn for horses and wagons sit off to the side of the Inn. A smaller shack sits behind the inn, past the outhouse and next to a sizable garden and food plot. The entire grounds are surrounded by a simple wooden fence. (let me know if you’d like a map to help you picture this better)

Looking around the area for others, Ashley doesn’t see any guards or security of any kind. The town seems pretty quiet at the moment, likely because it is currently dinner time for most. Though when she looks down the street towards the rest of town, she sees 4 men walking in a line together far off in the distance that might be a patrol of some kind. They appear to be headed in her direction.

Actions?

Ashley AC:8 31/31
Zap AC:8 10/10 DI/GR/WoF DM/MI
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

Arriving by the side door, the dwarf listens before he opens up to exit the theatre.

He can hear voices outside. The dulcet tones of Lestadt he recognises along with Drax and Zahra. He doesn't recognise the other two who talk though. Walking out now may cause at least some minor explanations to be made. If Lestadt has some gumption he will lead the folk away. So he keeps the door shut and instead goes to find the elf Carling and whispers that other folk are gathering outside.

The dog barking annoys him, especially if it is directly below. He takes an apple from his pouch and rolls it to bounce and run all the way down the long corridor to the stage end.

"Here boy, fetch." he whispers through the floorboard, (to the dog not the elf) and hopes the rolling noise sends the guard dog leaping to the other end of the building.

"Quick Silver, open up and lock us both in otherwise our intrusion will be blown for sure."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

"Heya Wilbur, I think I have, lovely little field mice. You'd love them. Oh! You mean these two! Right." She too then turns towards the barking dog. "Isn't he home? Why is there so much barking?" Luna gasps and puts her hand to her face "Is it the rats again? I keep trying to tell him that they aren't doing any harm, and there's no reason for the dog to chase them, poor things."

"Oh. Manners, yes. Wilbur this is Vorpal the Owl. Riding on Draxon, and traveling with Zahra the wanderer. We were just about to call on him to see if he'd like to have dinner with us, late as it is. This is Wilbur, an indispensable part of our performances here. Well, I bet that he knows more about the inns and outs of this theater than anyone, except the rats. Wilbur, tell them about the upcoming performance. I'm sure they'd love to see it."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"Nice to meet you Wilbur. Luna has told me how wonderful your theater is I am looking forward to hearing all about it."
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

This is suddenly going to go all tits up if folk who know that we choose to split up to investigate three separate areas, one of then being the theatre and the bard, suddenly barge in on other group members supposedly covert investigations.

He shares his "ffs" thoughts with the dwarf Redgrave, enters the room he has just unlocked but in his hurry, fails to lock the door behind him.

Quicksilver Carling Open Locks vs 47% [1d100]=64 roll to lock door again

If he can instead wedge something behind the door, (a chair, broom handle in the lock), something so that if someone tries the door they find it closed and not openable. (They might assume it still locked).

Then, he will search the room once the group and dog go away. Good quick thinking with the bouncing apple to distract the dog Redgrave.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

In his work as a private detective, Lestadt had learned to note what people don't say, and the elusiveness the man displayed about the, presumably dog, was rather odd. "An impostor? So, that wasn't Balmorrow, then? Well, I suppose the swain who told me was rather drunk ..." He follows the man's gaze towards the house and theatre side door.

"No, Mr. Balmorrow is not expecting me. Famous, you say? I am what you might call a budding ... patron of the arts ... and would be very interested in meeting him! The whole cast, in fact. Are you a member of the troupe?" He views Wilbur with a new expression of obvious admiration. "I bet that line of work beats sailing any day!" He says with a wry grin and a wink.

Lestadt waits for Luna to introduce Zahra and Draxon before interjecting. "Ah, Miss Zahra, Mr. Draxon." He looks to Wilbur as he gestures at the pair. "We shared the same carriage from Restenford." Turning back to address them again, "Are you also here for a performance? Next one is on Waterday, unfortunately."

He looks around briefly as if in search of someone or something. Shrugging his shoulders, he says, "I had arranged to meet a couple associates here, but I suppose it's moot now." Lestadt casually tilts his head toward the theatre and deliberately glances at the side door.

"I just asked Wilbur myself about meeting Balmorrow and the cast." He extends his free hand in greeting to Wilbur. "The name's Michault, by the way, very pleased to make your acquaintance, sir."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:51 pm The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern
Ashley looks around while Zap tells this stranger everything he knows about the murder they were secretly investigating for Pelltar. Priska seems genuinely surprised about the news of the Barons death, almost astounded actually. “You don’t say. Well, that is really something isn’t it? So, of the three suspects, who do you think did the dirty deed?”
"I can help you!" Ashley starts in an overtly mocking manner. "All you need to do is tell me who got murdered," she continues in a condescending tone; throwing the urchin's words back at him. "You've been told. We even gave you three possible suspects -- individuals we know nothing about."

"You're from here. You undoubtedly know these individuals better than we do. So, start talking. What do you know about those three?"

Recalling a theory Lestadt had, about Abraham possibly having an imposter, Ashley's tone becomes at least slightly more cordial. "Let's start with what you know about Abraham here," she says, flicking her thumb towards the inn the trio has been lingering in front of. "You linger here, in front of his establishment, so I presume you'd have decent knowledge of his whereabouts."

"Can you confirm: was Abraham here the other night"
(Or two nights ago; I can't recall if we spent a night in Restonford before heading for Garrotten?)
"You help us; we'll help you..." she says, jostling a small leather pouch dangling from her belt, allowing its contents to jingle.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by tarlyn »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 pm
OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:51 pm The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern
"I can help you!" Ashley starts in an overtly mocking manner. "All you need to do is tell me who got murdered," she continues in a condescending tone; throwing the urchin's words back at him. "You've been told. We even gave you three possible suspects -- individuals we know nothing about."

"You're from here. You undoubtedly know these individuals better than we do. So, start talking. What do you know about those three?"

Recalling a theory Lestadt had, about Abraham possibly having an imposter, Ashley's tone becomes at least slightly more cordial. "Let's start with what you know about Abraham here," she says, flicking her thumb towards the inn the trio has been lingering in front of. "You linger here, in front of his establishment, so I presume you'd have decent knowledge of his whereabouts."

"Can you confirm: was Abraham here the other night"
(Or two nights ago; I can't recall if we spent a night in Restonford before heading for Garrotten?)
"You help us; we'll help you..." she says, jostling a small leather pouch dangling from her belt, allowing its contents to jingle.

Zap

The little gnome pays attention to the four men but hazards a look at Priska

"Today's your lucky day. You won't get a better offer than that, Master Priska."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon waves his arm and says "Hunt Vorpal" as the white owl flies away.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"Well nice to see you again, Mister Michault you said, I am so horrible with names."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

What Does A Bard Do?
18 Hours After The Murder

Theater of the Mystic

Initially, it seems like the cool and suave Lestadt has Wilbur convinced of his interest in the arts, but when Luna words her introduction in a manner the boy doesn’t appreciate, his true colors are revealed. Our performances? What do you mean our performances? Oh, I suppose you think you’re one of the troupe now, is that it?” Well, if some of the things I’ve heard coming from below the theater recently are any indication, you’re already working on your chops, it would seem.”

As Vorpal flies off and before the flabbergasted Luna can offer a reply, a single loud bell toll suddenly rings out from the theater. Wilbur instinctively steps back towards the house, eyeing Luna with obvious suspicion now. “I KNEW IT! I told Balmorrow you could be one of them but he didn’t listen! BALMORROW!!! BALMORROW!!! GET OUT HERE!!!”

Inside the theater, Redgrave gets the dog barking to move away down the hallway again with a brilliant solution. (I won’t even roll for that one. Good ideas automatically work.) :D Unfortunately, Carling dishes up a bigger bone when he swings the door inward to be stunned by the loud single toll of a ships bell nearly deafening his left ear.

In a moment of pure panic, the duo enter the room, move back into the hall, enter the room again, and so forth, unsure if anything they do at this point will save them. The room appears to be a tidy office space, with a quality wooden desk, chairs, and filled bookcases. A stairway leads down to a landing with a stout looking closed door at the bottom.

Actions?

Priska seems to calm down a bit once Ashley softens her tone. When she offers him coin for his aid, he turns downright giddy. “Oh yes! Priska is here. Always looking. Always lurking. Priska knows things the bad men don’t! Priska sees all! Abraham was here last night all right, but he always stays alone in his room on Sunday nights. Soooooooo….nobody else will have seen him. But Priska seen him! When he walked to the outhouse to take his bedtime POOP!”

The man smiles dumbly with his eyes wide open, holding his hand out and awaiting his reward.

Zap nods along, keeping his eye on the 4 man patrol in the distance still heading up the road towards them.

Actions?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

Reaches into the bell if he can to still the clapper from tolling further. If he can take the thing off he will.

Interesting no one is in the room, an office. The bell ringing maybe brings someone up from below. He expects so, therefore uses the few moments until the caretaker or guard arrives to peruse the bookcase. (he can't imagine the bard living in the cellar, but a caretaker with a dog might?)

He whispers to Redgrave. "We might have to change tack. If the bard arrives from below then we can question him. If a caretaker or guard arrives, I prefer questions first rather than other unnecessary actions. We can justify our presence, even unauthorised, as investigators into the Baron's death. I at least carry the blood red lute string, used to strangle the Baron and garrotte him in his sleep.

At least, that is what we can allege.

Now, look official. Just in case."

He looks at the books, presuming the shelves are filled with dramatical works and scripts for plays. If he notes anything more 'suspect' like arcane volumes or 'studies in poisons', he will take that volume for his satchel.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She is both shocked and stunned at the almost immediate chaos. "What?! One of who? What are you talking about? And are you listening to us?!?" She shakes her head to rid herself of the ringing and regains her composure.

"Fine. Let's get him out here, then. And maybe he can tell me what the hell is going on!?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

You know thinking about what I wear, I look very much the armoured guard type. Leg greaves, forearm vambraces and plated splintmail with shoulder pauldrons plus a shield on my back.

Okay, I will play the guise of bodyguard, enforcer' if necessary as I think you Carling are dressed much less martially. You can ask the questions, I can do the slapping.

The dwarf enters the office, shutting the door behind him. He watches down the steps as the rogue searches the book cases.

I am tempted to go knock on the door below. At least that substantiates our 'we are here to talk to you Mr Balmorrow' ruse. But I will wait a moment to allow a quick search and also see if anybody responds to the bell.

The dog may also come scratching at the door. In case he hears the hound sniffing I will ready a few beef jerky strips to pass under the door in an effort to make friends with it.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

Lestadt limps a step back, away from both Wilbur and the trio as the former assails Luna with claims concerning her suspicious intentions. He holds up his cane and free hand in an allaying gesture. "Perhaps I should leave ..."

Just then the bell peals from the theatre and Wilbur absolutely loses his grip, declaring Luna as one of them. His yells and hails for Balmorrow almost certain to attract attention from other villagers, Lestadt continues to back away in an attempt to extricate himself from the situation.

"Lady of the Sea!" He exclaims at the sharp ringing. "That's a ship's bell!" He glances behind him and slowly moves in the direction of the leatherworker's shop. Redgrave and Carling obviously know their predicament, while Zahra and Draxon can handle things with Luna and Wilbur.

He stops on the lane just before the main road south towards the inn and watches for any groups of observers to form, attempting to mingle with them and listen for any gossip or comments.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#116 Post by OGRE MAGE »

First Building
18 Hours After The Murder

Theater of the Mystic

After muting the loud alarm bell inside the tidy office door, Carling’s first instinct is to check over the bookcases for anything valuable. He tells Redgrave to look lively in case someone comes up from below. The works are as assumed, mostly stories and plays, with no arcane tomes in sight. The thief does spot a book pertaining to the medicinal value of specific plants. Perhaps there is information about poisons contained within its musty pages as well.

The dwarf does as instructed, hearing the dog barking loudly behind the basement door now. He gives Carling a moment to decide what he will steal. They both hear shouting from somewhere outside, before the handle on the outside door begins to jiggle.

During Wilburs rant, Lestadt slowly drifts away from the chaos, reaching the roadway and looking around for others. He spots a few onlookers staring at the tussle from a distance, but nobody close enough to be dangerous. A patrol of 4 soldier types are seen down the eastern road, headed in the direction of the tavern.

Suddenly, a dashing, flamboyantly dressed human exits the smaller house with the woman you saw earlier directly behind him. She is holding something in her hands covered by a tan towel. He exclaims in a smooth but booming voice, “my word what is going on out here? Luna my love, who are these people with you? And more importantly, who rang my office alarm? Wilbur! Calm down and help us get to the bottom of this!” The unarmored man draws a sword from a scabbard he was carrying in his hand and moves quickly towards the theater side door, looking back again as he slips a key into the lock. “I hope this isn't some silly charade. My quarters are heavily protected. Someone could get hurt in there!”
5D660B42-E13D-4070-A9BE-4F21EB4F7CA3.jpeg
5D660B42-E13D-4070-A9BE-4F21EB4F7CA3.jpeg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Actions?

Actions?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She shoots a quick smug eye to Wilbur, then turns back to Balmorrow. "My Love! I thought you would be at home! Then who is down there?!"

Luna moves to his side as he starts to unlock the door. "These are friends I've brought to meet you. I thought we might have dinner or maybe a drink." She pauses, then calls for Zahra and Draxon to join them. "Come on. We're going in with him." Luna grips her staff and puts a hand on the back of Balmorrow. "We're right behind you."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra follows along, looking for an opportunity to stall the bard. "Is it safe to go in, maybe we should wait to see what happens?"
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:08 pm The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern

Priska seems to calm down a bit once Ashley softens her tone. When she offers him coin for his aid, he turns downright giddy. “Oh yes! Priska is here. Always looking. Always lurking. Priska knows things the bad men don’t! Priska sees all! Abraham was here last night all right, but he always stays alone in his room on Sunday nights. Soooooooo….nobody else will have seen him. But Priska seen him! When he walked to the outhouse to take his bedtime POOP!”

The man smiles dumbly with his eyes wide open, holding his hand out and awaiting his reward.

Zap nods along, keeping his eye on the 4 man patrol in the distance still heading up the road towards them.
Ashley easily flips open the fold-over cover to her belt pouch, dips two fingers inside, and pulls out a pinch of coins -- 3 silver.

"One now..." she says, handing the urchin a single coin while withholding the other two.

"The others once we hear what you have to say. And there might be more if your information is good."

Apologies for the delay.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling
Elf Race skill: Passive detection of secret doors 1 in d6. Searching for secrets doors 1-2 d6,
Concealed portals 1-3 d6.
Carling: secret door check [1d6]=4

He peruses the bookcase and desk, not really finding anything of value, principally clues that might incriminate Balmorrow to the murder of the Baron. He declines to steal any of the books or trinket objects, (for now). flustered by the growing noises.

Instead with voices outside and the imminent interruption of his search, he decides to 'play it cool', look official or at least intimidatingly authoritive. He goes behind the desk pulling the chair out to take a seat and puts his feet up. If a diary of Balmorrow is at hand he will read through it, noting appointments and calendar events. Any drawer he can open without unlocking he will rifle through, putting receipts on the desk. A paper trail of expenses might lead to alibis or motives: the theatre losing money for example or the recent purchasing of golden lute strings.

basically he wants to do some acting of his own. Even in front of the accomplished bard, counting on his own charisma and +10% positive reactions to negate any initial impressions or negative scenario. But if folk do come in to the office or the bard appears, wether from downstairs or outside Carling does not yet know, he needs to appear to be legitimate in his reason to be here due to the investigation and not just to burgle the place. Hope that makes sense.

He leaves Redgrave to attend to the barking dog.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”