NPC Generator (work in progress)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

NPC Generator (work in progress)

#1 Post by Leitz »

I like to create semi-generic NPCs for ship crews and mercenary units, and a friend challenged to me re-study the Go programming language. The two tasks converged, and I went back to some old code and got to work.

Go is a C-ish language with some of the warts cleaned off. Crewgen is being updated to include a CLI version. Sadly, updates broke the web version but fixing that is on the TODO list. Go cross-compiles easily and I have working Linux.amd64 and Darwin(MacOS).amd64 versions tested. The Linux.arm64 and Windows.amd64 binaries are built but not yet tested as I haven't fired up my RPi and I don't have a Windows box.

If this would be useful to you, the code is easy to get and then compile on your machine. Bug reports are always welcome and you can customize the data files to your campaign. If you'd like to get into Go programming, the current focus is teamgen and the test suite. Tests are easy to write and very useful. There's also a TODO list if you want to try something else.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: NPC Generator (work in progress)

#2 Post by Leitz »

Added a "-list" option to show the available Careers and Jobs. While a Career has a default job (Army:Infantry), any job can be used with any career. You can have a Navy:Other or a Merchant:Commando if you feel so inclined. What you do in the confines of your own campaign is none of my business. :twisted:

Successful test on Linux/arm64.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hmm I shall check this out sounds like it could help me when I can't think of things. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

It's currently geared for Traveller-ish games:

Code: Select all

bin/teamgen_linux.amd64 -career Merchant -job commando
Jessia Michaud [F] 447A6A Age: 31 human
3 terms Merchant
GunCbt(Any)-2, Survival-1, Demolitions-1
But it could feasibly be forked and made to work with most any skills based game like BRP derivatives (RuneQuest, Call of Chtulululu, etc) or the old FASA Star Trek game. I'd have to change a few things in the base code for someone to have an easy job of that, but it could be done.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Well, both brain cells are fried, but I started on a BRP output version. I need to fix the aging since it's affected by terms. Currently 'terms' says how many skills you get. These skills would actually be "+X", where the career/job starts out with minimum levels. So if an Merchant began with Streetwise 40, this would make them Streetwise 45.

Code: Select all

Josue Alford [M] Age: 40 human 5 terms Merchant
Str: 6  Con: 13  Siz: 9  Int: 8  Pow: 9  Dex: 9  
Streetwise-5
Admin-5
Vehicle-10
Trader-5
Carousing-5

Return to “General RPG discussion”