OOC I

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#201 Post by dmw71 »

I have a planned day off from work tomorrow, so today is going to be spent scrambling to make sure everything is in order.

The next update will likely be later tonight at the earliest, but most likely not until tomorrow or possibly this weekend.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by dmw71 »

Oof. I'm bad.

Work has been kicking my butt lately, and it's been a crazy week or so leading up to the girls resuming in-person schooling (today was their first day)... but, I will get caught up on all my games soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#203 Post by dmw71 »

Just checking in to perform some admin tasks here in the forums and to also share that updating my games will be a bit delayed.
  1. Work is busy right now;
  2. I've been backing up a guy since last week Friday which has almost doubled what is required of me;
  3. A severed fiber cable left me without Internet access from roughly 11:30 am until almost 9:00 pm on Tuesday, causing me to basically fall a full day behind at work. It's not fun.

I'm struggling right now, at least until tomorrow when the guy I'm backing up returns, so there's a better-than-average chance my next update in any of my games won't be until then (Friday), or this weekend (which has been code for "early next week" of late).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#204 Post by Scott308 »

No problem, Dave. Do what you need to do and get back to the game when things slow down.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#205 Post by dmw71 »

Actually, we had a family emergency this morning... so things have been pretty much chaotic.

Right now, I am focusing 100% on clearing out as much of my workload as possible, then see what time and focus I have left.

In fact, I literally just received an update from my wife and the situation is improving. Which is very good news!

Just know, my status is a bit in limbo right now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

*hug*
No worries! We'll all be here when this becomes fun, not work. :)

On the plus side, if you're busy, nobody is going to archive your games for inactivity. :lol: :lol:

Scott308

#207 Post by Scott308 »

Good to hear things are getting better!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#208 Post by dmw71 »

Just checking in to share that things are slowly beginning to return to normal.

I have a lot of things (personal and work) that I need to get caught up on, but updating my games here (and just checking in on the admin-side of things here) definitely fall into that "personal" bucket.

I hope to get things moving here again either later today or tomorrow... but, we'll see.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by dmw71 »

Work is really kicking my ass right now, and as I have plans to take off Monday and Tuesday of next week for various appointments and what have you, I have a TON of work that I absolutely need to take care of between today (Thursday) and tomorrow.

I hate to say it, but I most likely will be not in a position to update any of my games again until this weekend (maybe) or early/mid next week.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#210 Post by dmw71 »

Apologies for the delay, especially for such a relatively simple update.

I've just been extremely busy at work lately, and... well... feeling quite lazy or unmotivated outside of work. I'm hoping to be able to get (and stay) caught up with all my games here going forward.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#211 Post by Scott308 »

No problem. We all get that way on occasion.

Now, to everyone else: walk away or fight the dragon? It feels like we are nearing the end of this game, so do we have the characters walk away to go on their own adventures elsewhere, or go out in a blaze of glory (or just a blaze if we get TPK'd by the wyrm) and kill us a dragon?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Marullus »

I mean, there's nothing I want to do MORE than grapple this dragon with this big giant-blooded barbarian, pinning it down so it can't fly and you all can pummel it with advantage. :lol: He's deliberately taking cues from the rest of you, so won't initiate the fight. Also, given that he's down to two hit points, anyone with a healing spell (Tova?)...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#213 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 amIt feels like we are nearing the end of this game...
Your Perception roll was successful.

This dragon encounter is basically it... so, how you decide to act in regards to the dragon will ultimately determine when we officially put this one to bed.

Scott308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 am Now, to everyone else: walk away or fight the dragon?
This.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#214 Post by Scott308 »

So, Gamehole Con is coming up, and I'll be super busy. I'll be unlikely to post Wednesday- Sunday evening.

Also, Iwasthisclose to just having Vinwrick fire an arrow at the dragon but figured I should check with everyone else before picking that fight! :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 pm Also, Iwasthisclose to just having Vinwrick fire an arrow at the dragon but figured I should check with everyone else before picking that fight! :lol:
:lol:

Ahh, just go for it! What's the worst that can happen? ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#216 Post by Scott308 »

Glad I could make you happy, Dave! When I play in person, I have a tendency to force the action- not always in the best interests of my character or the party. This is pretty much the same thing.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but whether we kill the dragon or get TPK'd, it'll be more entertaining than walking away and letting the dragon have our treasure and ending the game would have been.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:23 am Glad I could make you happy, Dave! When I play in person, I have a tendency to force the action- not always in the best interests of my character or the party. This is pretty much the same thing.
I tend to be this way as well when I'm a player. :)
Scott308 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:23 amI have no idea how this will turn out, but whether we kill the dragon or get TPK'd, it'll be more entertaining than walking away and letting the dragon have our treasure and ending the game would have been.
Well, here we go!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#218 Post by dmw71 »

1. Marullus wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 pm Grinning enthusiastically in a way that shows not only his enthusiasm but also his full rows of square teeth, Thrydwulf looks like he has never been happier than he is pinning this dragon on its back.
    First off, this was awesome to work out the details for! Everything worked out perfectly. Even though...

Technically, I'm not sure whether or not a 'shove' action should have qualified as a trigger event for 'Tavern Brawler Grapple' feature. The condition requires hitting with either an "unarmed strike" or an "improvised weapon":
    When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.

I'm still not certain whether a shove qualifies as either... but, heck yeah, I was going to allow it!

2. Marullus wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 pm The order of actions is difficult here... I think I hit, which gives me a bonus action grapple, and I also need to resist his attempt to escape my existing grapple. Can I resist his attempt and then re-grapple with the bonus action if relevant?
    Without confirming whether or not a 15 will hit --

Let's assume it does and talk this out.

The dragon is currently both prone and grappled.

Prone really isn't a factor as the condition doesn't provide a contest to resolve; it merely indicates the condition ends if the prone creature stands up.

A prone creature's only movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition.

Being grappled is the dragon's primary concern. Here are the rules for escaping:
    Escaping a Grapple. A grappled creature can use its action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check.
    The key word in the above is "contested," which brings us to: Contests, which reads, in part:
    Both participants in a contest make ability checks appropriate to their efforts.
    A contest requires all participants to make an ability check... and there really isn't a hard-and-fast rule that declares what every check will cost because they can be so varied.

Bottom Line:

My interpretation is that attempting to break the grapple requires the grapplee to expend their Action on their turn.

Since this is taking place on the turn of the grapplee, the resistance from the grappler would definitely NOT require your Bonus Action, which takes place on your turn.

I'm leaning towards just making it a free action and wrapping it into the 'Other Activity on Your Turn' category.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#219 Post by Scott308 »

That covers it pretty well. The dragon would need to use its action (meaning no attack or breath weapon) if it wishes to attempt to escape the grapple. If it does attempt to do that, as it is a contested roll, Thrydwulf would make the relevant roll but it would not be part of his action economy- similar to making a saving throw. Bonus actions are only made as part of your turn. If the dragon is able to break the grapple, another attack would need to be made on Thrydwulf's turn, and if successful would then allow the bonus action to grapple.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#220 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:58 pm That covers it pretty well.
Your confirmation definitely makes me feel better about my answer. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Manor Hills (5e)”