Action Thread 5

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 5

#101 Post by rredmond »

Day 11 – The Still Dark Waters
OOC: Let me know if I missed anything, I'll start with the non-lit ideas, but here we go...

Bruard chants the proper prayers, crushing the proper herbs and making the proper supplications in starting his divination if there is any magic in the immediate area.

While he does that Till and Yosef start their checking around the area. Tills probing and prodding with the spear reveals no secret path, or even a bottom that can be reached. It seems there aren't shallows, just a steep dropoff. Yosef finds nothing (that he can tell) secret or concealed. Everyone notices that there are no fish or insects that you can tell. Nothing shining just outside the aura of your light no matter how humans, elf or halfling strain their eyes.

Everybody finishes before Bruard, who slowly scans in a 360 degree arc around the hallway, shore, upward, as well as out across the water and downward into the water. He finishes grim faced with a negative shake of the head.

At this point Till's torch sputters, half surprising everyone, but you all quickly realize that it's life has started to run out.

HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Torch (Till) 1 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by migellito »

"I think our best bet is to make a raft of some kind. Maybe we could use the flat parts of that ogre chair as a starting point."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by Alethan »

"Alright, then..." Till looks about in exasperation, "I guess we'll head back up and begin preparations for a raft if we have no other choices!"

Till will climb the rope first and then light a new torch once he makes it to the top. While he's waiting for the rest of the party to climb back up, he'll examine the hallway thoroughly for any other signs of a secret passage. Once Yosef makes his way up, Till will motion to him for help in searching.

If they find nothing, and nothing unusual happens to the party by the time they get to the entrance, then... Till will extinguish the torch and set it by the entrance to use when they go back in.

Most of the party should try to focus on gathering materials for the raft. Ancor can cut skins used by the ogre for bedding into strips to lash the raft together while the rest of the party gathers wood for the raft. If at all possible, we'll try to use existing cut logs from the surrounding camp - the ogre's chair, any other logs that might have been used for seating or for up-coming firewood, etc. If anything needs to be cut down, we'll try to cut down dead trees first.

While the rest of the party does that, Till will make his way down the cliff to check on the main camp and get a few more supplies. He'll get the dwarf's rope and the sectioned 10' pole from Erkel, the DAM, along with a few more torches and two of the dwarven vials of oil.

Before he heads back up, he'll check on the dwarf. If he's awake, Till wants to question him about any rumors that might have surrounded the map (i.e. contents of the tomb, what dangers might be faced, and how they planned on getting across the lake, for starters).
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#104 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"Alright, then..." Till looks about in exasperation, "I guess we'll head back up and begin preparations for a raft if we have no other choices!"

Till will climb the rope first and then light a new torch once he makes it to the top. While he's waiting for the rest of the party to climb back up, he'll examine the hallway thoroughly for any other signs of a secret passage. Once Yosef makes his way up, Till will motion to him for help in searching.

If they find nothing, and nothing unusual happens to the party by the time they get to the entrance, then... Till will extinguish the torch and set it by the entrance to use when they go back in.

Most of the party should try to focus on gathering materials for the raft. Ancor can cut skins used by the ogre for bedding into strips to lash the raft together while the rest of the party gathers wood for the raft. If at all possible, we'll try to use existing cut logs from the surrounding camp - the ogre's chair, any other logs that might have been used for seating or for up-coming firewood, etc. If anything needs to be cut down, we'll try to cut down dead trees first.

While the rest of the party does that, Till will make his way down the cliff to check on the main camp and get a few more supplies. He'll get the dwarf's rope and the sectioned 10' pole from Erkel, the DAM, along with a few more torches and two of the dwarven vials of oil.

Before he heads back up, he'll check on the dwarf. If he's awake, Till wants to question him about any rumors that might have surrounded the map (i.e. contents of the tomb, what dangers might be faced, and how they planned on getting across the lake, for starters).
OOC: Great plan. Bruard agrees!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Argennian »

Yosef agrees with Till in both of them searching the entire entry hall for secret or concealed doors, including the walls where the trap is.

When their group exits the hall and moves outside, Yosef will again give up his hand axe to the stronger members of the party. He'll then get out his bow and cover them as they work on making a raft.

OOC: Not sure what the TOD will be when we finish our raft but curious if we're planning on trying to go back down into the tomb or if we're going to fall back to camp for the evening so Bruard can rest and repray for more spells. Yosef would surely like to get in on that interrogation of Wergrim if that's the case, granted of course that he's conscious by then!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#106 Post by Alethan »

Vokarius wrote:"All good ideas" says Derek. "If need be, could one of you casters put light on one of my arrows? I could then launch it a great distance and provide some light."
Och... I missed this post the first time around. That's another idea we might try. Good suggestion, Vok.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:
Vokarius wrote:"All good ideas" says Derek. "If need be, could one of you casters put light on one of my arrows? I could then launch it a great distance and provide some light."
Och... I missed this post the first time around. That's another idea we might try. Good suggestion, Vok.
"When we get on the raft, if we do that, and tie the arrow to some twine, we could shoot it out every so often to see what is ahead of us."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by Alethan »

"Aye, and then Yosef would get to use his twine for something!" he nudges Yosef in the... well, the thigh, as his ribs are too high up... and chuckles.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Not sure what the TOD will be when we finish our raft but curious if we're planning on trying to go back down into the tomb or if we're going to fall back to camp for the evening so Bruard can rest and repray for more spells. Yosef would surely like to get in on that interrogation of Wergrim if that's the case, granted of course that he's conscious by then!
Yep, I think we were planning on resting for the night (maybe even closing and blocking the tomb entrance back up? Just to be safe...) after raft preparations are made (maybe just getting the wood ready to go inside the cave area) and memorizing new spells at that time (maybe a light spell and then two Resist Cold spells and then ToniXX can indicate what the other spells might be)

If anyone doesn't have anything else to add, let's go with that plan of action.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"Aye, and then Yosef would get to use his twine for something!" he nudges Yosef in the... well, the thigh, as his ribs are too high up... and chuckles.
"An excellent idea, indeed!" offers the elf, not even trying to hide his wide smile. "Mayhap our injured friend, Wergrim, will be awake and up to answering some questions?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#111 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote: Yep, I think we were planning on resting for the night (maybe even closing and blocking the tomb entrance back up? Just to be safe...) after raft preparations are made (maybe just getting the wood ready to go inside the cave area) and memorizing new spells at that time (maybe a light spell and then two Resist Cold spells and then ToniXX can indicate what the other spells might be)

If anyone doesn't have anything else to add, let's go with that plan of action.
Okay, I can take two resist cold and two light in place of sanctuary, detect magic, bless, and one cure light. I think two lights spells would be useful.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:
migellito wrote:When we get back out to the shelf on the mountainside, Jeloon eyes the captive dwarf to judge how he'd holding up. She stands in deep thought as she regards him.
(pssst.... dwarf is at bottom of cliff. ;) )
uhhh... from a distance :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by rredmond »

Day 11 – Finishing the day and building the raft.

Till and Yosef check the hall and to their continued frustration nothing hidden or concealed turns up.

Ancor starts with tearing ogre skins into strips, avoiding anything that looks as if it might have belonged to anything vaguely humanoid. And everyone helps with gathering wood for the raft. All preparations are easily made, and the raft started without issue. The wood and rocks next to the hallway entrance are now put back into blocking place.

Eventually everyone makes it down off the ledge, introductions all around as there is a new member of the party. Till starts gathering more torches, the dwarf's rope and 10' pole loading up a somewhat tired, but relieved to be on the ground Ancor. Van and Eyman listen eagerly to the goings on in the hall.

Wergrim seems in a better spot, because he is quite soundly snoring away. You all remember that when Eyman was healed up, but useless, this was a similar snore.

Questions, are you all sleeping down here?

What is the new watch schedule? It's easy to just Derek in with Jeloon, though not sure how you all want to handle that. Just want to be certain in case, you know, anything happens during the night.... just sayin'. :D

What's next? Anything else to do tonight? How do you want to start off tomorrow morning?

I'm trying to get into work early to keep up with the increased pace. This should actually help with my posting. Fingers crossed.

HPs: Jeloon - 27/29; Till - 31/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Torch (out) (hallway entrance) 55 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by migellito »

(assuming the mules can't navigate up to the ledge) "I think we should all stay down here tonight. Derek, if you'd join me on my watch, that would be fine."

After we're sitting down to our meal around the fire..

"I've thought of something that might at first seem a bit crazy. What if we asked Weregrim to join up with us? I think it's either that or he loses his head.. and if he loses his head, it may as well be here and now."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#115 Post by Alethan »

"Aye, excepting the fact that he's sleeping off a coma, I'd be willing to entertain the thought. We can see what his attitude is when he awakens," Till responds. "Although... just keep in mind they did make light shine from your eyes and try to kill us in our sleep."

OOC: Yes, all sleep at the base camp for the night. Now that Migellito is back, he can indicate what he wants his two hirelings to do, though I would still suggest leaving them at base camp for now. The raft isn't going to be that big, so I'm sure we wouldn't be able to get two hirelings, a half-orc, an elf, a halfling, and two humans on it and still have it float. Plus, we need someone to guard the base camp.

In the morning...

Till asks Yosef if he can borrow his bracers to wear during his swim. His plan is to swim in just underclothes, wearing the bracers and the ring of protection, with his silver dagger and short sword - he'll leave the rest on the shore to keep them dry. He'll also bring one of the dwarven blankets with him to the lake to use for drying off when he's done.

As they're making preparations to be back down on the lake shore, Till makes sure they bring some of the spare fire wood from the ogre's camp (enough for two smaller fires) with them. His thought is that it will help him keep his bearings if he has two fires to look for on the lake shore. That will help him determine if he's farther to one side or the other or if he's more in the middle of the lake.

And then, when the raft is being constructed on the lake shore and the two fires are burning... Once Bruard casts light on an object (what do you think? Till's silver dagger? Or... maybe just a stick? Then he could tie the stick to his belt with a bit of twine and not really have to worry about carrying it...), and then casts Resist Cold on him, Till will start his search of the area. The first thing he'll try to do is see if he can spot anything at the bottom, close to the shore, where the above trap may have dumped any previous adventuring types. He'll pull up anything of interest and deposit it on the shore for the others to examine more closely. If he doesn't find anything of interest, then he'll start off between the two camp fires and try to go straight out from the shore. He'll periodically check his position with the two fires to maintain his bearings.

(This is just what Till is going to do... I can't speak for anyone else.)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#116 Post by Alethan »

(Oh, one more thing...)

If Till comes across anything deep in the water by the shore that he can't physically lift to the surface, then he'll have someone get his silk rope from his bag, they can hold on to the one end while he ties the other end to the object, and they can haul it up.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#117 Post by Vokarius »

OOC: Derek will take any watch. He is nice that way, as long as he gets enough sleep to fight.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Argennian »

Yosef, when back at camp, will help to get the needed logistics organized and will then grab something to eat. Afterward, he'll get out his journal. He'll write down notes on everything they've encountered to that point and will also make a map of what's been explored within the tomb.

The elf will also hand over his Bracers of Armour to Till for the upcoming underwater work, as well as take his normal guard shift during the night.

Edit: grammaticals
Last edited by Argennian on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by Alethan »

Till accepts the bracers and replies, "I'll return them when we're done checking out the tomb, Yosef. And... they'll be on good wrists."

(Instead of "in good hands"... get it?)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by rredmond »

Starting new thread... 6 pages and all. :)

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”