What about 'fudge dice'?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

What about 'fudge dice'?

#1 Post by Ithril »

Would it be possible to put in a 'fudge dice' option? Syntax similar to

Code: Select all

Input: [3d6F:1,2,3]
Output: [3d6]=6
or

Code: Select all

Input: [_3d6F:1,2,3]
Output: [_3d6]=(1+2+3)=6
The display and links would flag it as a fudge roll for the game master, but players wouldn't see any difference in the code when/if they search it?

Just an idea that some GM's might find useful.

I

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What about 'fudge dice'?

#2 Post by ToniXX »

Please explain (or post a link) to what fudge dice are and why one would use them. Based on my initial and cursory search, it sounds interesting.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:45 pm Please explain (or post a link) to what fudge dice are --
It looks to me like you're forcing the outcome of a roll. In both examples, they provided 3d6 rolls of 1, 2, and 3; totalling 6, which matches the output:

Input: [3d6F:1,2,3]
Output: [3d6]=6

Input: [_3d6F:1,2,3]
Output: [_3d6]=(1+2+3)=6

It's almost like the dice aren't being rolled, you're just forcing whatever outcome you want.
ToniXX wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:45 pm-- and why one would use them.
I can't help you here.

I personally can't stand the idea, but it may work or be helpful to others.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Fudge dice are 6 siders with two sides each +, -, and blank. You add the results, so if you rolled +,+, blank, -, the total would be +1. This determines how successful you are on a test.

You can use a d6, with 1 or 2 equating to a negative, 3 or 4 being a blank, and 5 or 6 becoming a positive.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Of course Scott knows this. :D

I think the roller can do a d3 too, to make it even simpler. I thought we were trying to figure out the DM would decide what the roll was before rolling. And then wanted to reflect that in the roller. I’d say you just keep all the rolls “behind the screen” if that’s what you want to do. Some DMs here do that.

Anything else would be subject to abuse by players methinks. Anyone who knows our old character generator, and the amount of 16s, 17s and 18s it use to “roll” would understand what I’m saying. :lol:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I agree, if the intent is to make it look like something was rolled that wasn't I would prefer it not be possible and the DM just say "behind the screen" or nothing at all. I have no issues with a DM fudging rolls if they want but I don't want it available to players under any circumstance.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Ithril »

Rex wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 pm ...[T]he intent is to make it look like something was rolled that wasn't... but I don't want it available to players under any circumstance.
This, exactly.
The intent is to allow the DM to 'fudge' the roll, so it appears as a natural roll for the players, while the result is predetermined. Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

I

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by thenewflesh »

Fudge here refers to the system (Free Universal Do-it-yourself Game Engine, excellent system) not to 'fudging die rolls'. In actuality a 4dF fudge die roll is just 4d3-8 (or in general XdF is just Xd3-2X), so there is no need to implement this feature.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

I don't think we've ever had a FUDGE game here, but the die rolling sounds interesting. Sounds like a lot of math in real life?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by thenewflesh »

No, the math is super-simple OTB: for every 1 or 2 you roll, subtract 1; for every 5-6, add 1; 3-4 do nothing. Add your skill and attribute bonus (this varies game-by-game; FUDGE is a kind of game-design toolkit and lets the GM write their own skill- and attribute-lists); and compare against a difficulty threshold or the opponent's result. And online of course 4d3-8(+bonuses) is simple to type in. Very easy.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

rredmond wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:12 pm I don't think we've ever had a FUDGE game here, but the die rolling sounds interesting. Sounds like a lot of math in real life?
Also, in face to face gaming, if you have FUDGE dice, they have 2 sizes with -, 2 with +, and 2 blank. Very quick to set aside the blank ones, pair up - with a + and count the remaining - or + dice.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Once you get the hang of them, Fudge dice are super easy to use...even if I want a piece of fudge every time the system gets mentioned. :(
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Reading my mind man. :lol:
It’s definitely interesting stuff to hear. Might have to look up those rules.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by AsenRG »

rredmond wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:54 am Reading my mind man. :lol:
It’s definitely interesting stuff to hear. Might have to look up those rules.
Here you go...
https://fudgerpg.com/products/fudgerpg.html

And technically, Fate (being itself an iteration of Fudge) also uses Fudge dice 8-) .

Personally, I prefer just using d6-d6. The range is similar, but it tends a bit less towards the middle (Fudge dice result in a +0 way too often for my taste).

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions”