Yarl in Charge

hedgeknight
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Yarl in Charge

#81 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl tries to keep his temper in check. I didn’t ask to be in charge but I’m the fucker that ended Slymorn. You think you coulda done it? You think he wouldn’t have ripped your throat out? Truth is I am sorry for the way things went. Slymorn was an evil fucker but he was strong and kept us all together. I would aim to do the same, be strong and keep the Rats together. Judas, I don’t wanna fight you head to head and I don’t want to look for a knife in the back either. I am a Rat, you are a Rat. I wanna make all of us big fat rich Rats.. He addresses the entire group. I don’t trust Stick’s or anyone. We ain’t stickin’ necks out blind! You all know the score, The Rats got tangled up with the Faithless when we hit that barge, we just makin’ in square. Once Stick’s makes his play he either move up or goes to the mud, either way Rats are settled.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by hedgeknight »

"So, what are supposed to do tonight?" Cyrus asks, his voice high and whiny as usual. "Are we to fight or to guard Sticks' back? What if the Fist get involved? Most of us are thieves, not fighters. I'm not sure this a good move, Yarl...er...Blacktongue."

"Kid's got a point," Judas says. "Some of us can hold our own in a brawl, but that's not what Rats are known to do. We sneak in, take what we want, and sneak out. That's the Rat's motto. Get in, get out, live another day. If this goes south, Blacktongue...well, it's gonna be bad...for everybody."

Eston steps forward and the murmuring among the others dies down; the respect he has among the crew is obvious. "Tonight, we have an opportunity to better our station, to perhaps build a future for ourselves and those who follow us. If Sticks and the Faithless succeed, then we succeed. If they fail, we still succeed because we will use the moment of their weakness and pounce! To do this...ALL of us must work together. ALL of us must trust each other. It's not about who likes who or who should be in charge. I watched the fight between Blacktongue and Sylmorn. It was a fair fight. The better man won. Now, we move forward, not backward. Blacktongue is kingpin now. He commands, we follow. It's a simple as that."

Many of the Rats give a shout of approval or clap, even some who appear to be on the side of Judas, who looks at Eston and then at Yarl, measuring each. Finally, he says, "So, where do we start?"
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by dmw71 »

Oak begins to feel uncomfortable as details of the Rats' plans and actions begin being discussed in his presence... while not being a member himself.

He's not aware of their dealings with the Faithless. Or with any actions they've taken against a barge.

He has only a passing familiarity with Sticks, and Judas represents an element of the gang that Oak would assume not to involve himself. Heck, for that matter, he's not sure how trusting he should even be of Yarl.

That said, he does need coin, and a lot of it. And Yarl did mention his intention of turning them into "big fat rich Rats," which sounds appealing... but at what risk?

He attempts to slowly slink back against a darkened section of the wall and listen as a silent observer.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl feels relief inside after Eston help sway the crowd. Maybe he won’t end up dead, yet.

I know exactly what ya mean, Cyrus and Judas. The way I figure it Stick’s want our help keepin’ the Fist busy. Every man we distract is one who can’t stop the Faithless. Now Sticks never said anything about the Rats themselves having to do any fighting. Yarl smiles a nasty smile. We are gonna rile up every drunk, every fucker who has a score to settle, every wanna-be Rat, every hungry fucker who wants a coin and put em to work. We Rats are gonna get the mob to do the dying while we stir the pot. That means we can hit targets we want only loud-like. We want to bring in the noise today. Fill your pockets quick lads but make sure you bring in the heat. I ain’t asking any of ya to fight out face to face with the Fist. Just get em interested and then disappear. Let some other poor sap take the beating.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by hedgeknight »

Many of the Rats nod and murmur their approval at this plan. It's a bold one, but it suits the Rat mentality of hit-and-run tactics. Plus, their balls will be swinging long and heavy with pride if they pull this off.
Judas senses the change in the room and he gives Yarl a long stare.
"Speaking of wanna-be Rats...what about yer buddy, Oak? Where does he stand?"
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl looks over at Oak and then back to Judas. He's been keeping his anger in check but Judas is grating on his nerves. "I shoulda' killed that fucker right after Slymorn" he thinks to himself.
Oak is workin' with me fer now and he knows how to keep his mouth shut. He ain't a Rat but hes known an' hes from Rivington. Louder for the whole group An' everyone knows any man from Rivington is worth a dozen of them stupid fucking uptown cunts. He pauses for a crowd response. Oak is here to remind us all that when we start stirring this pot we make sure we take care of each other an' our own. That means them that pay us protection money, them that is our allies and such. People like Oak and his folk that live nearby we keep outta it. Everyone else is fair game.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by hedgeknight »

Those words get a few reactions as the other Rats nod and murmur in agreement.
Eston takes the opportunity to speak up.
"Our new Kingpin has said his peace. Now, what would he have us do in the meantime? When are we to meet up with Straightstick and the Faithless? And where?"
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl puts the pressure on, Cyrus, I sent you to give word to Sticks'. What did the Faithless say?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by dmw71 »

Oak keeps his back pressed to a wall. He appreciates the support from Yarl, and nods his agreement with the sentiment that he is capable of keeping his mouth shut.

His impression is that the Rats plan involves sowing disruption and chaos. And Oak, being born and bred in Rivington, is no stranger to those sorts of antics.

For now, however, Oak remains interested in seeing how the Rat's plans unfold... but his continued participation will depend on the direction things play out.

Sorry for the delay, guys.
-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:23 pm Yarl puts the pressure on, Cyrus, I sent you to give word to Sticks'. What did the Faithless say?
Cyrus flinches when his name is called, but then composes himself, takes a nervous nibble of cheese, and says, "The Faithless is planning to land several boats at the eastern tip of the docks and move into Brampton proper, kicking ass and taking names."
Several of the Rats chuckle and laugh out loud hearing this come from Cyrus in his whiny, high-pitched voice. He glares the chuckles away and continues. "He wants the Rats to put to shore at Riverveins and follow the tunnels under the outer wall to a sewer grate that opens across the street from Harborside Hospital. We're then going to spread out and distract the Flaming Fist while Sticks and the Faithless do what they came there to do."
He swallows a few times, takes a draw off his waterskin, coughs, and then looks at Yarl.
Judas snorts. "I'm just going to say that I don't like the idea of crawling through those tunnels in the middle of the night! Who knows what we might run into? There could be anything living in them damned tunnels! Are you sure that's what the Faithless said?"
"That's exactly what I was told," Cyrus replies. "Why? Do you think it's a trap?"
Judas just shrugs and shakes his head.
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Computer +1 »

Sorry for the slow reply, been busy with family and the end of summer.
I am going to have the actual plans be kinda vague since I don't have the innate knowledge of the Rats the same way Yarl does.
Please feel free to adjust or handwave whatever you need to.

Yarl thinks about Cyrus's report for a moment or two. The way I figure we gotta get job done but Sticks' don't own us. I say we send some through the tunnels and others can make their way to the hospital on their own. That means all the untrustworthy cunts like me can take the tunnel while our more unnoticed Rats can get there through the crowds. Eston and Judas, you two can divide the crews up. Them in the tunnels go heavy for a fight.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by hedgeknight »

Given a little bit of clarification, Eston and Judas begin dividing up the Rats into two groups as their new kingpin, Yarl Blacktongue, directed. While this is going on, Cookie sidles over to Yarl and says, "I'm going with you and Oak, okay? I know you'll keep me safe, ain't that right, Oak?"
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#93 Post by dmw71 »

Oak, noticing Cookie move to join Yarl, steps away from the wall he'd been pressed against and joins her.

He nods affirmatively when the lass asks about keeping her safe. That -- keeping Cookie safe -- has quickly become a strong motivation of his.

"So... boss?" he begins to ask Yarl. "You mentioned wererats before. They found in these tunnels to the sewer grate we're supposed to be taking?"

"Anything I should know ahead of time if that's the case?"
-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl moves close to Oak and speaks in a harsh whisper. Shut yer trap. Some of the Rats are the wererats… You stick with Cookie, she’ll steer you on who to avoid. An’ if everything gets fucked then you an’ her get out. He steps back and says loudly to cover, Damn right you coming Cookie. All Rats on deck for this one.. To the whole group, Alright lads, once you know yer group get yer shit together. Remember the more fuckers we rile up the less we stick our necks on the line. Anybody Rat gets pinched or killed an I’ll fucking kill them again!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by hedgeknight »

As the Rats scurry around, stocking up for the coming coup, there is some conversation at the door to the warehouse and one of the Rats comes hurrying to find Yarl.
"Boss man, we got a visitor from ol' Straightstick. Says they has a message for you."

Looking toward the door, Yarl and Oak see a hooded figure walk in. Several of the Rats reach for weapons, stepping in front of Yarl, protecting their new kingpin. About 10 feet away, the figure stops.

d&d faithless rogue.jpg
d&d faithless rogue.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 390 times

"I assume you are Blacktongue. Straightstick sends a message: He's moved up the mission. He wants your folks in place and be ready to do your job at dusk."

"That's three hours early!" Judas says. "Why?"
The lady replies, "Straightstick has some intel there may be complications if he waits until midnight. So...he's moved up the time of the coup. You'll be in place, right?"
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by dmw71 »

Oak's eyes widen at Yarl's revelation that some of the Rats are actual wererats. This is definitely news to him.

"I got you kid," he says to Cookie reassuredly.

He watches the approach of Straightstick's messenger, but makes no action to interfere. He does, however, listen carefully to the news being relayed, and can't help but wonder what "complications" may refer to. He's not sure he wants to know.

Turning back to Cookie and nodding. "We'll stick together."
-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl feels a burst of pride when some Rats move to protect him from the messenger. The news has him worried on the inside. "Is this for real? Is this the Guild getting involved? What do I do."

We will be there Yarl says with confidence. Tell Sticks' that he better make sure he don't bite off more than he can chew. The Rats ain't to be bothered lightly. he says with some bravado to fire up his people and keep face with the changes.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by hedgeknight »

The Faithless messenger nods and leaves, as the Rats begin to muster, gathering their resources and supplies, whatever they will need for the night's work.
Cookie slips her tiny hand in Oak's and squeezes it. "This is gonna be some night, ain't it Oak?"
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by Computer +1 »

I saw you want to fast forward, cool by me.
Yarl will take the time until everything goes down to gear up for the upcoming fight. He would ideally like a nose around his new quarters and see if there is anything else of Slymorn's that can be useful. Maybe he can squeeze in a nap!

I will adjust his sheet, he is keeping/wearing those nice boots of Slymorn's. He will also be carrying all his weapons and have his armor on.

Thinking about it now I dont think I ever updated his sheet with the money he made and the money he spent. I will try to look back and figure it out if thats ok.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 pm Yarl...would ideally like a nose around his new quarters and see if there is anything else of Slymorn's that can be useful. Maybe he can squeeze in a nap!

Yarl looks around Sylmorn's quarters...now his...and finds nothing any more useful than what he already has.

Thinking about it now I dont think I ever updated his sheet with the money he made and the money he spent. I will try to look back and figure it out if thats ok.
Absolutely fine by me. ;)

At about 8:00 pm, shortly before dusk, the Rats of Rivington move out...half take the river to the harbor and put to shore there, while the others follow Yarl, Oak, Trueshot, and Cookie to the Riverveins and put ashore, heading into the tunnels.

river cave.jpg
river cave.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 375 times

Yarl and the others put to shore and survey their surroundings. A tunnel leads off into darkness to their left...

I need detailed actions > light sources (if necessary) and marching order. You have about 12 folks with you...
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”