Game Systems For Sword & Sorcery Settings

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

Game Systems For Sword & Sorcery Settings

#1 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Been working on a sword and sorcery setting and I’d like to know which systems I could use. Originally I was going to use Openquest as I’ve never used it and would like to. But I would like to know what else is out there.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game Systems For Sword & Sorcery Settings

#2 Post by Rex »

HarnMaster has the gritty feel, just drop the magic all together or Just use any early edition D&D and limit magic somehow.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

You could try Swords against Demons, the magic is brutal and scary.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Lance »

Kard és Mágia

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by AsenRG »

Gomezthebarbarian wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:10 pm Been working on a sword and sorcery setting and I’d like to know which systems I could use. Originally I was going to use Openquest as I’ve never used it and would like to. But I would like to know what else is out there.
Well, my go-to for S&S is Mythras, but it really depends on your tastes :twisted: .

For a more "comic book Conan" vibe I'd use Barbarians of Lemuria. Not that the game isn't serious...it just smooths over the grittiness of the genre, IME.

For more of a focus on swordplay, really mixing Conan with swaschbucklers, I'd go for Blades of the Iron Throne...which is one of the three "spiritual successors" of the game named The Riddle of Steel. I'm sure you can guess which movie inspired that latter title :mrgreen: .

So...it depends.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

For sword+sandals, plus demonic magic, you could try Dory+Apsis + PACT. Both are available pwyw on itch.io.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

Another option: Dunes & Denizens. As you can see, I've grown quite fond of Jason Tocci's 2400/24XX game engine.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “General RPG discussion”