Ch. 2: Finally Inside the Tomb

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Finally Inside the Tomb

#401 Post by saalaria »

Skarlos pats Quinn on the back.
"Well done my friend, I thought we had lost you then. This place certainly doesn't get any easier does it?!"
He then turns, graps the rope and makes his way out of the pit.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#402 Post by Mondego »

TWO PITS ALONG THE WAY WILL BE FOUND TO LEAD TO A FORTUITOUS FALL, SO CHECK THE WALL.
"Looks like we found the first one," Quinn remarks with a frown. "Hopefully the next one doesn't cost us someone's life."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by Stirling »

McCloud will breath a bit easier now Quinn is up and out the pit. How to cross the pit...it's 10x10 and I don't think we can all jump that far, even running (looks at Urdak?). Perhaps I can go back into the chapel and break up one or two of the pew bench lids and we can use them as a plank to walk on? They looked like they'd breach the gap or do we 'toss the dwarf?'

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#404 Post by Mondego »

"Just stay away from the front pews, I believe they were the trapped ones," Quinn advises.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Zhym »

As Quinn and Skarlos climb out of the pit, McCloud ponders how the party will cross the opening that stretches from wall to wall. He suggests using wooden pew lids from the chapel as planks. "Just stay away from the front pews," Quinn wisely reminds the half-elf.

The benches are 20 feet wide and the wooden railing at the front of the chapel is 4 feet high (see the map below). The only opening in that railing is about 5 feet from the altar. And you might have difficulty maneuvering a 20' long, 5' wide plank through the eastern portal, around the corner, and down the stairs. If you go ahead with McCloud's plan, you will need to describe how you plan to remove the plank and get it down the stairs.

Also, I assumed that Skarlos and Quinn climbed out on the eastern side of the pit. If you'd rather have come out on the far side from the rest of the party, let me know.
Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 9.25.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 9.25.33 PM.png (392.02 KiB) Viewed 941 times

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by tkrexx »

Urdak examines the stone around the pit, and the walls leading to it. He squints at the stone on the far side, as if trying to listen to what the masonry is saying. We cud puttn spikes inna wall. Tie rope onna n swing/wall-walkn across. Halfnling Tex wud be gud heern now. He absentmindedly picks his nose.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Zhym »

The walls of the pit are solid, sturdy, and constructed with such quality as Urdak has not seen since he studied the works of the great dwarven master stoneworkers of legend. Although the tomb must be centuries old, only a dwarf could tell that it was not brand new by the stonework, were that stonework not covered in smears of dried blood and the pit not scattered with bones. Clearly the occupant of this tomb intended it, and its traps, to last for thousands of years.

Urdak cannot help but marvel at the workmanship. This pit—the entire tomb, in fact—must have been built by dwarves!

His wonder turns to somberness when he realizes that those who build tombs full of deadly and cunning traps on behalf of mad wizards seldom live to talk about them. The dwarves who built the tomb were no doubt slaughtered as soon as their work was finished.

Putting that thought from his mind, Urdak has his assessment: a spike would hold firm in the pit wall.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#408 Post by Mondego »

Quinn will tie a rope around his waist and, with someone in the group securely holding the other end, will climb the walls around the pit to the other side.

OOC: Hopefully there is not another pit trap adjacent to this one. Climb Walls: 96%

Once safely on the other side Quinn will secure his end of the rope using an iron spike and then search the remaining hallway and the doorway for traps.

OOC: Find/remove traps 55%

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Zhym »

Quinn easily traverses the wall and reaches the other side of the pit ([1d100] = 8), then carefully anchors the rope with a spike in the wall.

His search of the rest of the hallway and doorway reveals no traps.

BTW, you can make your own rolls for opening locks, climbing walls, and reading languages if you want to. The results of each of those checks are known to the thief as soon as the check is made. I'll continue to roll if you don't, of course.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Finally Inside the Tomb

#410 Post by tkrexx »

Hah! The Dwarf watches in amazment at the scaling ability of this Human, and he smiles gleefully, revealing a missing tooth. Lookn like we needn only one spike, zen!

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#411 Post by Mondego »

Quinn carefully opens the door.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Zhym »

Continued in new thread: