Question for fellow DM's

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Question for fellow DM's

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

This is a general question to other DM's and others familiar with AD&D 2e.

In AD&D 2e how would things react to Gray Ooze so far all my readings of the MM indicate it is corrosive to specific materials but not how other materials will be affected. I know the normal rule "When in doubt wing it!" but I am curious as I've not often encountered various oozes other than green and mustard oozes. Is this ooze similar to an encounter with say a rust monster? Just in this instance it would dissolve metal rather than cause it to rust. How might it work against wood, stone, leather/hide, skin?

Thanks in advance for any information or replies back about this.

~ Ed
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Question for fellow DM's

#2 Post by gurusql »

I know that your question was for AD&D 2e, but in AD&D 1e the Monster Manual for a Grey Ooze says "Its acids do no harm to stone or wood."

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That will work 1e and 2e are very comparable and compatible. I should have checked the MM for 1e before asking the question. Thank you for the reply. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

An additional question is does it burn? I'm going to check both 1e & 2e MM for that one. I don't think ooze burns without something like lamp oil poured over it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:26 pm An additional question is does it burn? I'm going to check both 1e & 2e MM for that one. I don't think ooze burns without something like lamp oil poured over it.
There are quite a few videos on oozes out there, but I found this one particularly helpful:

Basically Ooze
The general discussion on oozes at the start of the video was really helpful.

The gray ooze specifically is mentioned at the 4:04 mark, but it's pretty brief. They liken it to a mercurial snake, which is kind of creepy to think about.

I know it's 5e, but this was a pretty good discussion on oozes:

How To Play Oozes Like Body-Devouring Terrors - D&D Beyond
They touch on the gray ooze specifically at the 2:44 mark. (The potential way to introduce them offered by guest DeAngelo Murillo is flat-out creepy AF!)

When it comes to monsters and tactics, my go-to is always the Monsters Know What They're Doing blog. Yes, it's written against monsters in the 5e Monster Manual, but you can easily ignore the mechanics and just apply the logic when using for other editions. Here is his post on oozes:

Another 5e take on gray ooze tactics:

Again, ignore the mechanics and apply the logic.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thanks Dave.

Return to “Tips for the DM”