Ch 3a. The Temple of the Ant

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Ch 3a. The Temple of the Ant

#181 Post by Stonjuz »

opening a portal plate? need a def answer......
also, to be clear, no one has cleaned off the dirt covered markerstone

some said they were looking, but changed actions before doing so

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:Nayman, unlucky thief

"Stop talking about me as if i wasn't here."
complains Nayman. "All I need is a cleric to get me off this curse and we'll be fine..."
Although no one in the room can see him, Nayman removes the bandage from around his eyes, and states the above.
He can see you all perfectly.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by Vargr1105 »

Stonjuz wrote:

complains Nayman. "All I need is a cleric to get me off this curse and we'll be fine..."
Although no one in the room can see him, Nayman removes the bandage from around his eyes, and states the above.
ooc: wait, he can?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen, Mage

"I'd like to get some of my focus back before we go on, just in case.
"Has anyone taken a close look at that marker yet?"
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim shrugs, sets poor Benson down again as gently as a half-orc can ( :D ), and moves to uncover the marker and make what he can of it.

[1d100] = 66, [1d20] = 20, [1d10] = 8, [1d8] = 4, [1d6] = 3, [1d4] = 3

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:
Stonjuz wrote:

ooc: wait, he can?

Ok , maybe not perfectly, perhaps a bit fuzzy, but yes, the bandage was blocking your view, lol....

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#187 Post by Stonjuz »

One hour after Benson falls asleep, Agrim sifts enough dirt away from the large stone to reveal enough stonecarving for Branc to later confirm that this is, rather, was indeed the phenom that Iuz has planned to use somehow, depicted in pictures of a skull upon a throne with three altars before it.
Agrim realizes that he alone cannot budge it from its position.
There is also some phrasing (perhaps command words?) that can be read but not understood by all but the most learned scholar.
(Another roll from Branc please- Ancient Obscure Language
Garth and Agrim should also make Ancient Religion checks at one hellova penalty, just in case)

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Language read/write (11): [1d20] = 16

ooc: That's a good roll for a scholar with the obscure knowledge trait, right????
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#189 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim scratches his head, shrugging and mumbling something unintelligible with his gravelly voice...

Agrim religion check (14): [1d20] = 3 Dumb half-orc anyways... :lol:

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#191 Post by Stonjuz »

As Branc stares at the marker, unable to decipher the last of the carving, Garth and Agrim both fill in the last words, with a simultaneous "...Vecna"
Branc agrees with the translation, although he thought it too obvious to be the correct answer.
When fully detailed, the story of Iuz's desire to use the ANT's 'magic' to conquer Vecna, and then use both to conquer everything else, is depicted.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#192 Post by Stonjuz »

Nayman takes a step. His body, going thru changes, the extent of which is not fully developed, is in fine form, but he does feel a stiffening in some joints.
Strength, Constitution, Wisdom are each increased by 1pt (both sub-ablitites if playing 2.5 Options)
Dexterity is decreased by 1pt
His Int is unchanged, as his mind is still his own.
Charisma, unchanged, for now.
WELL, not many are going to be able to see him anyway, due to the phenom, now known as the Kuntz Darkness, surrounding him now.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#193 Post by Vargr1105 »

Nayman, the unlucky thief

"He? My joints fell...strange. Get me to that cleric fast guys!"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen, Mage

Hearing some of what the others read and spoke, Branc exclaims, "Speak no more of it!" and takes out a sheet of parchment and some charcoal, places the parchment on top of the marker and rubs the charcoal over it create a rubbing, he omits a portion of the writing so it is purposely incomplete. He then studies the marker to commit it to his precise memory so he can complete the rubbing later if need be. He then rolls up the parchment and tucks it into his scroll case.

Fishing his hand once again into his backpack, Branc brings out the plate that is a portal back to the Inn of the Unseen Servant, places it on the ground, and says, "Everyone be ready, let's get out of here together and quickly!" Once the party is gathered and ready he will speak the command word for the portal plate and guide everyone through.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#195 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Hefting Benson to his shoulder once more, Agrim prepares to go through the portal. "Th-that's a r-r-relief..."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#196 Post by Stonjuz »

As all approach the placement of the portal, Nayman's proximity soon taxes any hope of the travel being without incident. The brightness of the spinning disc is also shadowed and cannot shine thru that to which envelops the lad.
The tiara, last used to rival the Kuntz Darkness, lies somewhere near the entrance. Circumventing the KD on Nayman, the tiara is easliy found by torch, as its own Darkness spell has expired.
With Benson in tow, the portal grows to maturity and the party begins to go through.

Marching order.......(and readied weapons, items, etc) :twisted:

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#198 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim takes up the rear, scimitar in hand and ready to (gently :D ) drop lay Benson down and stand over him in defense, should the appearance of a walking globe of utter darkness prove enough to provoke hostilities.

Edit, per Ston's request (nice idea, btw!):
As he steps through the portal, Agrim feels personally responsible for the curses that have befallen the party. He momentarily considers the option of disappearing at the first opportune moment once back in Greyhawk, but then he feels the touch of some noble spirit -- his mother? -- and he realizes he cannot do this. His cursed friends will surely need whatever aid he can give, and besides, with the uncovering of the stone tablet, it is clear that Vecna is responsible. Vecna, and the damnable land of Iuz! He mutters under his breath for anyone listening: "D-die, Vecna, d-die!"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc Temugen, Mage

Seeing Agrim, his half-orc companion, waiting for the others to step through the portal, even though he carries the human fighter as well, Branc takes a final look around to see that nothing has been left behind, especially the tiara and the head of the monstrosity that Iuz wanted to unleash but that they vanquished. Images from the past days flash through his mind, as he tries to sort them out into a meaningful lesson.

He is still trying to process all the magic he has seen and experienced and how it fits together into the wild magic that is his own experience. A creature of air - a djinn - captured with an urn and some ancient words. Magical music that floated the priestess far above. Letters that vanish when read, ancient wards picked apart by a gnome, a creature horribly corrupted by no doubt evil magic, and that was seemingly unaffected by the darkest dark Branc believes (and hopes) he will ever experience. A location that breathed of magic and helped him cast a spell spontaneously. At the same time he is surprised to have gotten through it all without reaching for the dangerous surges of magic that he has yet to master the control of, and surprised at how well the physical might of the staff prevailed for him.

He looks at his companions, one unconscious from a magical ward in a simple letter, one cursed with he knows not what, others battered, bitten, and drained by the ant monstrosity they barely survived, he wonders how he managed unscathed through the djinn, priestess, lizard, burning gnome, the climb and fall, the ant, and the darkness itself, and can attribute it only to the magic energies he now knows he has hardly begun to tap. The events replay through his mind and his precise memory again and again, the words of the letters and markers superimposed over the images in his mind's eye.

He knows this now, firsthand, the stories of strange and wondrous and horrible things that he read and studied must all be based in some true fact. With the things he has seen, he knows that nothing is beyond possible, and he fears the power that Iuz and Vecna may already be wielding and may be about to grasp. He must somehow pursue both his knowledge of the arcane and the demise of Iuz, or his knowledge will be useless.

Blinking, he taps his staff of striking on the stone, wondering anew at the portal the plate so easily opened yet again, as he refocuses, takes a deep breath, and steps through the portal.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”