Multiple modifiers in the dice roller

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Multiple modifiers in the dice roller

#1 Post by Zhym »

Sorry if this has been asked, but how hard would it be to modify the dice roller to accept multiple modifiers?

I just generated a character with a sword that has a damage bonus and does double damage against giants. If he hits, the damage is 1d12x2+10 (awww yeah). The dice roller will only accept one modifier, so I set up a macro like "Damage: [1d12x2]+10", which gives results like this:

Damage: [1d12x2] = 5x2 = 10+10

That's an easy enough workaround if you know what's going on (the +10 suddenly appearing at the end might be confusing if you don't know why it's there), but it would also be cool if the dice roller could handle this situation natively.

I imagine that the difficulty would depend on whether the order of operations is always set by rule. In OSRIC, at least, when you get both a damage bonus and a damage multiplier, the multiplication happens first then the bonus is added. Are there any situations in ?D&D or its kin where addition would happen first then multiplication? There's probably a fair difference between getting the roller to recognize [XdYxN+Z] and getting it to recognize arbitrary orders of operation using parentheses.

Thanks!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiple modifiers in the dice roller

#2 Post by ToniXX »

You bring up a good suggestion. I even thought about this when originally developing the dice roller. I chose to leave the functionality out for the reason you describe. I thought of doing the modifiers simply left to right (eschewing the usual order of operations). I also chose to leave it out because as far as I was able to tell, the use of two modifiers in a roll seemed to be very rare. But, as your example shows, you hit on a time when it would be used.

I'd have to say that in the immediate, keep doing it the way you are. In the future (whether near future or not, I cannot say) I can take another look at doing this and see if it can be implemented.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Multiple modifiers in the dice roller

#3 Post by Zhym »

Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions”