MISSION 01: The Kovačić Extraction

Faanku
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

Re: MISSION 01: The Kovačić Extraction

#101 Post by Faanku »

Good job finishing the first run, even if it didn't all go according to plan!
I think we set up enough hooks for a few future missions, and you have a potential contact in Kovačić (and Johnson...).

The next thing to do is for everyone to say who they bonded with on this job, and how. We can do this ooc, or have a "downtime" period that tails on from this thread but can take place over the next week or two before another job comes in. I don't know which method you guys would prefer, so we'll put it to a vote.

Code: Select all

At the end of a mission, each player chooses another character who, as a result of the mission, has
a better idea about how your character operates. Explain what happened and what they now know about
your character. That character increases their Links with you by 1.

If that new piece of knowledge would increase their Links with your character to +4, explain why that 
new knowledge changes the relationship. The players of these characters will then frame a short downtime 
scene between the two characters, focused on the new knowledge. After the scene, they mark experience 
and reset their Links with your character to 0.

Which character aspects you choose to highlight and how you conduct these downtime scenes will depend
on the group preferences, and the themes and tone of the game. 

You can choose scenes and moments that highlight parts of the character that you want to emphasise:
the Killer might always give character insights through scenes of violence to underscore that aspect of
his character (think of The Raid (2011)) or through peaceful moments to contrast with that aspect
(as in Léon (aka The Professional) (1994). These sort of thematic options are not restricted to Links
scenes, of course, but can inform your character’s actions in any aspect of play.

You can choose scenes and moments that address the themes of the game: a game about cybernetics,
body modification and what it means to be human might highlight the human element by setting all
of these character scenes in human settings like graveyards, bars, crowds, and family occasions.
That same group might instead choose to highlight the theme by putting it in contrast to the
technological machine elements of The Sprawl and set those scenes in sterile laboratories, server
farms, and the Matrix.
Everyone managed to proc their Directives once, so the total xp for all 4 of you is currently 5; no advances to be made yet (also Salome, you need to update your sheet with your Masochistic Directive.)
All your harm clocks are restored to represent you resting up over the next few weeks.

I also need to know if you want to RP meeting with Kovačić's contact "Lady J" or just bulletpoint the outcome OOC. Either one is find by me.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by Faanku »

The dilapidated building that looms overhead is the exact opposite of what you expected when you imagined a cutting edge medical research facility. Antiquated dull-green paint flakes off the cheap ferrocrete exterior, the forgotten attempt at decoration the only thing marking it apart from the other identical doorways in the row of terraced towers. But this had to be the place, the coordinates were here to the centimetre, and the holograffiti of a caricatured General Kim smoking a cigar lit from a Russian flag is right where the message said it would be.

Earlier, when the time had come, you'd called the number Kovačić had given you and a polite though tired woman of indeterminable age had answered after two rings.
"Operator, which name please?" After mentioning the name you were told to give, Lady J, the woman asks you to hold then reports that she cannot find a match. "I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number. Thank you for your call." The moment she hangs up the phone though, you receive an anonymous message with a precision geotag and brief instructions; find the building with General Kim, go to the back room, and close the door once all of you are inside.

The door to the building offers no resistance, and you find the interior to be as run down as expected. Salome notes recent footprints, her killer instincts working even through the blissful haze of the dimorphine stim Shelley administered to keep the pain at bay; footprints that lead exclusively in and out of the back room you all now occupy.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by thenewflesh »

She walks in, eyes bagged from a sleepless night, right arm completely limp.

"All right," she says to the walls. "Somebody come fix me up."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Faanku »

A few seconds after Salome speaks up, the battered looking door behind her slams shut on powerful hinges and a brief mechanical whir can be heard, shortly before a pressurised hiss jerks the room and the killer begins moving down into the ground; the entire centre of the old room seems to be a well-hidden elevator, one that travels down a transparent duraplast shaft few dozen meters before opening up into a sterile laboratory many times larger than the building she entered. A woman in a labcoat approaches Salome, checking something off on her comlink before nodding with a curt smile.

"Ah yes, Ms Jane Doe." It's a statement, not a question. "You should consider yourself extremely lucky to be testing one of our prototypes; some people would kill for the chance to acquire one, I'm sure."

Looking around the lab, Salome notices that there isn't a trace of corporate branding anywhere, not even a subtle lettering on the staff's clothing. If she had to guess, she'd assume that this entire set-up is only partially affiliated with Fujimoto Heavy Industries at best, and is more likely to be an independent clinic operated in secret by Kovačić. Seemingly noticing your interest, she severe woman continues. "What's the problem, Ms Doe? Never seen the inside of a black site before?"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by thenewflesh »

"I was reborn in a black clinic." Salome says simply, and gestures at her right arm. "This is useless. My synth nerves are useless. Fix me up."

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#106 Post by Marisu »

Fool whistles, taking in the sight of the lab. "In all the years I've been in the business... can't say I've ever seen an op like this. Nice." She grins, and pats Salome's back. "Lady J, right? Please do take good care of my friend here. We've got a lot more mischief to get up to!"

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by Faanku »

The woman smirks as Fool calls her Lady J. "As good a name as any."

She leads the pair to a vac-sealed operating room and abruptly jabs an ultrathin needle into Salome's arm as soon as she takes the offered seat. A tiny amount of blood is taken, and the woman begins tapping away at a clipboard-sized dataslab. "Interesting. Very interesting. I haven't seen such a receptive Type-0 system in a while; no wonder you were prioritised for the trial." Seemingly satisfied, she smiles at Salome genuinely for the first time since she arrived. "So, Ms Doe... how much do you know about the procedure you're about to undergo?"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by thenewflesh »

Salome shakes her head. "It's experimental. That's it."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by Faanku »

"Well, I suppose that's not entirely incorrect. The nano-osseous composite is an entirely new material created by Dr Kovačić which is many times stronger than previously known microelements. There are even traces of it imbued into the synthskin of your new arm, which will offer you unparalleled durability; in layman's terms, you could punch through anything less robust than reinforced plasteel, assuming you had the time and the desire to, of course."

Lady J smiles awkwardly. "Of course, your unit has been designated as a long-term trial, so you won't need to return here for regular check ups and data collection. There is a small bioscanner integrated into the arm that will collect data on its usage, but we have express orders from Dr Kovačić to not recall you until she gives the word. I can only imagine what data we'll eventually receive from you, Ms Doe."

Seemingly content with her explanation and having prepped the medical bay, the doctor taps a final few commands into her dataslab. "Do you have any questions before we begin?"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#110 Post by thenewflesh »

"Data?" Salome asks, frowning. "What kind of data? The work I do is... sensitive. My clients require confidentiality. As do I."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by Faanku »

"Yes, I'm sure. In fact, Dr Kovačić has been incredibly clear that you are a special case and have been afforded a level of autonomy almost unheard of in such a clinical trial." Lady J sighs. "Suffice to say that the data collected is stored locally in an encrypted node and is utterly inaccessible by anyone other than Dr Kovačić herself. This isn't a problem, is it?"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by thenewflesh »

Salome pauses, takes a deep breath. "Ok." she says. "You have my permission. Fix me up."

If Kovačić crossed her - well - that would be the last mistake she'd ever make.

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#113 Post by Marisu »

Fool parks on top of a free-looking desk, relaxed as she watches the exchange between the two. "Hey Lady J, this new arm sounds impressive- Ya know if Kovačić ever mention any buyers clamoring to put in some orders of this material in advance? Bet the military could make a nasty rifle."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#114 Post by Faanku »

Lady J smiles condescendingly at Fool. "There are applications in almost all fields for a breakthrough such as this, though any sale or distribution would be strictly the purview of Fujimoto. Hence..." She motions to the blacksite clinic as if to say 'why do you think I'm installing cyber on anonymous criminals in a hidden facility?' then returns her attention to Salome.

The actual procedure takes just over an hour, most of that time dedicated to syncing Salome's new arm with her Synthetic Nerves. After she's confident that the task is complete, Lady J nods in satisfaction of a job well done and moves to a shelf of the office, handing Salome a small chunk of concrete. "OK, Ms Doe. Tense for me."

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#115 Post by Marisu »

Fool sighs, "Remind me not to get on Fujimoto's bad side... Wait. Too late." The driver takes a cigarette, but doesn't light it. "Ooh, show us what ya can do, dancer!"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by thenewflesh »

The synth nerves kick in again in a violent, euphoric jolt. Salome moves her meathand, reveling in the refound sensation of speed and accuracy. Then she moves her other hand to grab a glass bottle. It shatters into a thousand pieces.

"Thank you, Lady J."

Salome walks out to her motorbike, and drives away.

Return to “Neon Shadows (PbtA: The Sprawl)”