OOC Combat Thread

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Combat Thread

#21 Post by Vargr1105 »

onlyme wrote:These giant rot grubs... Do they act like regular rot grubs by burrowing in skin, etc? or since they are now 2-3 times our size, is that not an "attack" we would have to worry with?
As the GM generously stated before:
Vargr1105 wrote:These things will keep on latching, gnawing and borrowing on prey until it is dead.
Burrowing in skin may be a bit more complicated. I don't think any of the half-orcs has enough skin on him to cover one of these critters in it entirety.

Sure doesn't seem to prevent them from trying though...

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Vargr1105 »

While PMing with onlyme to deal with his recruitment for the UK5 game an issue was raised dealing with the current battle. I am transcribing the conversation here because it may be useful for the players whose PCs are involved in it.

onlyme wrote:Anyway, I will join. I have a feeling my bendy half-orc is about to succumb to those grubs anyway.
Vargr1105 wrote:Hum...strategic retreats are an option. Those things are slower than the half-orcs. Don't give up on the poor guys already, specially after ChubbyPixie had all that work making figs for them. :)

Heck, if you guys hadn't left the only rope you had behind, or camped somewhere else other than right by a bunch of hungry grubs, this whole sad situation could have been avoided. ;)
onlyme wrote:That is what I was/am confused with. How the heck did they crawl 30 feet to the PCs in one round??? We only have 30 feet to go before the edge, correct?
Vargr1105 wrote:You just answered your own question. The brothers were camped about 30ft from the pool and the things have a Movement Rate of 60ft. They can easily cross that distance in one round.

You guys all move at 120ft. You could have bolted from moment one, or done fighting withdrawls.

If by "edge" you meant the shaft going down vertically and not the pool then you are mistaken. The shaft lies one Turn away walking at normal pace in the direction opposite to the pool, crossing the spot where you faced the light serpents.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Vargr1105 »

onlyme wrote:shortsword in hand, Ull will head toward the sound, to assist his brother in whatever trouble he faces.

I dont follow, can Ull still attack this round, normally, or only by officially charging with the pros/cons that it entails?
Only if he charges. Onn is one round walking distance away. You'll spend the whole 1st round moving to get there unless you run, then you can use the impetus to attack the bestie under normal charging rules...assuming the physical situation when you get allows it.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Vargr1105 »

OOC: Not sure if I can disengage safely and attack in same round so I roll attack anyway and DM can let me know when it actually goes off.
Onn can do that but with a penalty on the segment he will attack on because he must ready his daggers (same thing as drawing a sword).

Of course, the crap attack rolls will pretty much settle it. ;)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Vargr1105 »

onlyme wrote:Ull will not charge. He will cautiously walk toward the battle instead.

He cannot afford the risk of double damage if the spider hits...
Double danger is only a danger if:

a) the defender is using a weapon longer than the attacker

b) the defender has set weapon against charge

So charge attacks against foes using natural weapons (fang, claw, etc) do not put the attacker in danger of getting "double damaged".

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by onlyme »

I am sticking with him not knowing what or who he was charging...so the fear still stands. :D
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Vargr1105 »

True. Nice roleplaying there. ;)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Vargr1105 »

onlyme wrote:Are we in melee range this round, or would we have time for a slingshot? ie, how far away are they?
Not far, but the groups are not in melee range so you could use missiles, whether Initiative goes in the way of the brothers and they can let of a shot before the flies get to them is another matter entirely.

These things can clearly fly faster than the brother can run though.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Vargr1105 »

onlyme wrote:Is Onn actually fighting, or just standing there waiting to get devoured?
No, he's not a zombie. Onn is engaging the fly.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by onlyme »

Any chance that fly hit Lippet? Ull and Theket killed both the ones attacking Ull. If not ull is bout dead...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Vargr1105 »

Sorry, I just got the names mixed. :roll:

Return to “IM15 Round the Bend”